• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 08, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Forgot the "before" pics of the house....

21374.jpg

21375.jpg

Art,
Very well may have been Richard Christensen. Been awhile, but I hopefully downloaded a picture of the deck.

Charlie, Art,

Yes, Richard di do a gauge wheel strength mod on a 50" deck...may have also done something with a 38" too.....I'm sure he'll see this and post anything applicable.

BTW Art, bought some .22 Whinnie ammo the other day
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Art >

My wife wants to thank you for selling me the 3 point digger, or in her words that s.o.bn rock puller.
It works great at finding all the rocks not uncovered by the tandem disk.
Sorry I did not get a pic on it in use, but we still have half the garden to work up yet this fall. Hopefully I will get a pic or two than. However being I am unable to post pic here I will have to post them across the street.
I know how to post them, but this system here at work dont support that type of posting process.

Charlie
Is this the mod you are talking about?

21377.jpg

I thought that it was Steve B. that did this one.

Speaking of mower deck work, my project to strengthen and add front swivel gauge wheels to my 50c deck has been the project from Hell. Thought it was going to be a snap, got the deck all lined up, the blades all perfectly aligned, set the deck up on blocks and proceeded to build the back support for the right rear wheel, it came out okay.

21378.jpg

Then on to build the front swivel gauge wheels and I had a great idea, got one built and tested it. It failed miserably, from then on I have had one interruption after another not to mention a trip to the hospital to get a couple of stents in my ticker. Finally able to get back to work and came up with another design that looks like it is going to work. Got the brackets welded and painted, now if I could just get time to get them mounted on the mower deck for a field test.

21379.jpg

Richard-
Those mounts are neat. With all of the 44/50" decks out there I bet you could sell a lot of them!

Richard C.
Yea, I think that is it. From the photo it looks like maybe 1/2" round stock bent to go outside the deck skin to reinforce the weak side. Thanks for digging that photo up and posting it.

Charlie,

Shows you where my memory is lately......

Deck reinforcement -

May I also suggest visiting someone that deals in used parts. IIRC, the "newer" (yellow) 44C/50C decks have some strengthening built in, including, I believe, Richard C's reinforcement bar/handle on the output side.

Then again, I was worried about the hornet's nest near the decks at Houtz's, so I didn't go digging in there to be sure what model I was looking at
lol.gif

Charlie, Bryan - When those front mounted sickel mowers first came out I thought they would be great for mowing around farm fields. Pretty common practice back in the 60's. But Roundup gets that job now. The parts You most likely need are the Sickel sections themselves, the triangular pieces, and what they call Ledger Plates, which are the mating cutting edge bolted/riveted to the Rock Guards, the pointy things the sickel sections move back & forth inside. Back when Dad mowed all His hay with a sickel mower I remember the mower required about two hours of maintenance/repair for every hour spent mowing.

Bryan and digger-

Read the discussion about the jiffy mower. I have plans drawn up to make one of those units out of an old new holland haybine section. I don't think it would be much trouble to "retro" fit those units with newer guards, although I have not seen one in person.

Jonathan - The NH Haybine sections are about twice the size of these little guys. But then, if Your Torching a three foot section out of the Neighbors scrap Haybine That's not a Problem.;-) Just make sure You get the part of the sickel with the sickel driver on it.

Mike Johnson-

Regarding your post of yesterday. Just because the sleeve hitch implements are not on sale now doesn't mean a few strokes of the computer can't fix that. Even if you're not buying out the store like Digger did!

My local HD was out of the Brinly implements (I had previously snagged the last cultivator the week before), and on Tuesday, I went to a quasi-urban one near my office b/c I wanted a box blade, but I wasn't about to pay the list price for one. That particular HD didn't have the sale -- but the L&G department manager is easily talked into it. I told her it could sit on the high shelf for another year or two since there was no local demand for it, or she could make a sale today, and clear the shelf to stock products that sold well. She punched in the code for the store I had last seen `em, which gave her the code for discounting the one in her store. Hence, I got a box blade from them for $25.

Whether it's a local merchant or a big-box national chain, most managers have the power to "make a deal."

And yes, it's going on a Cub.

Thanks to all who posted deck reinforcement info and ideas. That gives me a great start. The time I put into the deck has been well worth it. As I said, it mows so much better than it did before. Now I want to keep it that way by adding some reinforcing. Thanks again.

Still can't post a photo so why the smile?

smile.gif

Cause at least I got something posted if it's not poofed.

Can someone post an exploded diagram of the rear end from an Original. Started to leak gear oil and am not sure how it started, but a good suspect would be a leaky hub seal. Would be much appreciated.

Some one just sent this to me, I thought I would share! grin

Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by email, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

1.Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
2.Try to find an answer by buying and reading the manual.
3.Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
4.Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
5.Try to find an answer by asking a skilled or at least a friend that knows more than you do about what your working on.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated that they can learn from the answers.

In case you want part numbers to go with that here they are.
21388.jpg

21389.jpg

21390.jpg

21391.jpg

21392.jpg

21393.jpg

21394.jpg

Latest posts

Back