• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 06, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey there everyone

Im a newbie sort of i have posted here before maybe 2 yrs back? anywaysI own a 1650 back then i posted asking about the P.T.O. was going to buy a used one from D.Vogt i think it was anyways i got a P.T.O. from Brad the guy i bought my cub from it had a bad Field Coil

i got a new one and installed it and followed the manual leaving the air gap at .012 being it said between .010 and .015 everything was great and then like 18 months later the coil got hot i guess and fried

is that normal wear? i mow 3/4 acre every 2 days and in the winter last year threw alot of snow
but 150.bux evry 1 1/2 yrs is a bit much Its a 50 inch deck btw

but im only 3 1/2 yrs in on this 1650 so i am not sure if its normal or not?

any tips to make the pto last longer?maybe more or less shims? i have a user manual and can get access to a service manual i have replaced the coil 2 times so im familiar with the unit etc. it used to have the ogura pto now it is the black pto

also i have had the shear pin in the pivot bar for the hydro llift break twice with the snowthrower on it any suggestions on how to beef up the pin?

thanks in advance for your answers

any of you remember going to a "Mini Plow day" in Genoa il. a couple yrs back and participating in a "Cub Parade " that ended in a nieghborhood where we parked them all in my front yard to send a "message"(ha ha ha) to my JD loving neighbors?

i have the picture somewhere ill dig em up and post a couple for ya

thanks again T-Bird

Stuart.

Sorry to take so long to answer your question, I have been on vacation for the past 5 days.
I tried to e-mail you but your address bounced back .

On with the answer to your questions.

Yes I did put the loader on a manual trans tractor, a 102. However it did not take long to destroy the clutch, what with all the shifting and slipping of the clutch. So I put the loader on my 123 hydrostat tractor.

Yes I had to beef up the spindles, as they bend under heavy loads. There is a nice link on Brian Millers site on how to beef up the spindles.

Ok guys quick question; being stoved up some its kinda hard for me to get down. Is the motor bolts (10 hp) on the 1000 underneath the frame or down along the side of the frame?

Pops and Thank you

Ding, ding, ding to whom ever said points!! I replaced everything about two years ago and my ohm reading was only .3 but thats not under a load, so after sanding the points; viola. The premature failure was inpart due to the gasket for the points cover starting to fail, it fell apart in my hands this last time off. I'll check with my Kohler dealer tonight to see if this gasket is avalible.
construction.gif

Thanks again for all who helped out!

Hope I don't get poofed here but we need some information.
Have a fellow reader here wanting to buy a pair of those wheels I have advertised in the classified section for SGTs. Would someone tell me if they would be a good fit for a 682?

Art AAtay said they were right for his 1872. So would they work on a 682? What other Cubs could use that big wide rim with that big offset? What about fender clearance on these cubs when you go with 26-12-12 lugs?

They will fit most Cub Cadets the offset just pushes the wheel out more giving it a wider track .I have a set on my 582 with 26x12x12 Charlisle ags on them.

JOHN - The wheels will fit ANY Cub Cadet. The wheel mounting flanges are all the same pattern and width. Fender clearance may be an issue on the non-SGT tractors. Some people can mount 26-12.00X12's under their fenders and some can't. It depends on the tractor, and the tire both. I know the Firestones I run on My 982 are some of the lower profile 26-12.00's made. If the tires don't have enough clearance it only takes about Fifty Cents worth of 3/8" flat washers to raise the back of the fenders under the four mounting bolts.
BRIAN B. - There's a gasket under the points cover which any Kohler dealer should have in stock but the little rubber grommet for the wire to the coil in the corner of the cover CAN be a problem to find. Funny thing is most small engine shops sell KOHLER and ONAN parts both and my ONAN in My 982 uses the exact same grommet in the points cover but ONE of My Parts places couldn't get Me the grommet.

John-
The width of those rims you sell makes them nice for a 12" wide tire. (i.e. 26" X 12" X 12")

The offset makes them nice for a "Super" like my 1872 or Denny's 982.

Yes, they will fit a 682, but not with a "stock" tire size, and as Mike said, the offset gives them a "wider than stock" track.

I am working on my 1450 this afternoon and was changing the Air Filter and cleaning up the carb.
I took the Air Cleaner Base off and I don't know why I never noticed this, but there is a "unfiltered hole" in the Carb Base (see attached pics w/RED arrow). Is that suppose to be just open to the air...?? If there is something that is connnected to that hole, what is it...??

39727.jpg

Art, good to see you posting once again!

I'm concerned that this may have happened though.
happy.gif

39729.jpg

Roland, I think a tube from the crankcase breather goes into the airfilter there. At least there is a rubber breather hose on my wife's MTD at that location. She lets me work on it sometimes.
dizzy.gif

Where do I find pictures of the cub 109 crank bearing and cutch removal proceedure. I got the clutch off but the bearing and other thing I have no idea.

Roland -

Perhaps you've got an emissions-ready 1450
lol.gif

I seem to remember seeing some kind of setup that would take crankcase gases and route 'em back to the carb, perhaps from the breather? Looks like the hole would line up with the breather, no? Maybe Cap'n Kirk's seen one of these in his travels...

Roland: Neither my 1250, or my 1450 have 'that' hole.

I didnt seem to find anything there, would love a picture of the clutch assembly and how to remove the big yellow part behind the crank bearing on the front of the engine. cub 109

No the 2 set screws per hole was the white piece this is the piece behind it I believe it has 2 set screws in it, but I dont know if the set screws attatch it to the crank.

Roland
Better plug that hole, it shouldn't be there. That base is probably for a different Kohler engine.

I have a singe cylinder M-16S Kohler that is waiting to go in a Cub some day. It has a breather tube that goes into the carb throat, which is about the same thing as your base would do. When I bought the engine the guy had a whole shop of new Kohler engines that were for many different applications and I saw about every variation you could imagine, and not one was exactly like the Cub Cadet Kohler engines. He let me assemble one using parts from many different engines to get one as close to the Cub's as I could. I took oil fill tube from one, throttle controls from another, etc. This M-16S was the result.

39733.jpg

Back