• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Regulator Help!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
Hey Guys...i’ve Run into a problem that has me stumped and I know it is probably something simple. I bought a 100 for my son Judge when he was 4 years old and “we” built it into a plow mule.

Because of his age, mostly it was me and then his big brother plowing on it. Now he is 10 and is fully capable of plowing with it himself. Anyway, a couple months ago he was driving it at dusk when I got home from town and I noticed that the lights were flickering oddly. I got on it and drove it into the shed and it seemed to be running erratically. Shut it off. A week or so later went to start it and nothing.

Did some investigation and realized that the bottom rubber bracket had broken off the regulator and the little wire on the back had rubbed through and broken on the bracket.

No problem, I grabbed a regulator that I had on a 122 that I am going to rebuild and “borrowed” it for the time being. Hooked it all up and as soon as I put the negative battery cable on I heard a “click” in the regulator. Then I turned the key to check the lights—nothing. Checked the fuse for the lights—good. Ran a hot lead to the light switch—lights are operational. Hit the start button and the engine started to turn over but then there was a puff of smoke from the regulator.

Shut it down...disconnect the battery...and contact the best support Gang for all things IH—you guys.

We have a plow day this weekend and I know he really wants to use this thing...any help would be much appreciated.

Joshua, the Originals and the 70/100 used a different style regulator than the later series. Here's some info that might be helpful.

Voltage_Regulators.jpg

The one that had the rubber mounts break is likely still good. You might be able to refurbish it, I've fixed them before so I know it can be done.

Thanks craig for the response. The internals of the regulator (which broke the rubber mount) look really good...I’ll post some pics later when I get home. However, what does that little exposed wire on the back do (the one that rubbed through) and how do I fix that? I’m confident that I can drill out and replace the rubber straps on the old one. Is there a thread on the forum that describes how to test an original/70/100 regulator to make sure it is still functioning?

Sorry that I’m Mr Twenty Questions but I haven’t ever dealt with this issue on any of my machines before...

Here's a photo of the 4 terminal regulator that I installed on my Original many years ago. Is it the coiled wire that broke on the 100's regulator? That might be a resistor of some sort. I was thinking of the ground wire that can be seen at the lower right, the bare copper stranded wire. I have repaired these before, but not the coiled wire.

4 Terminal Regulator.jpg

Thank you again Kraig for your help. It was indeed the “resistor” wire. I took your advice and opened my old regulator up and compared it against the other two I had...they were different. So I further took your advice and worked on mine. Pulled a resistor wire off of one of the others and put it on my housing. Then removed the rivets on the broken end and replaced with a good one off the other regulator—AND WE ARE IN BUSINESS!

I’ll be sure to take a video of Judge plowing on Saturday and post it here. The one above is like 3 years old...

The interesting thing about my regulator is that the fourth post is on the back. I’ve included a pic for reference.

65097CA3-03B8-46D9-BB1A-9BAB3153D590.jpeg

Charlie...do you carry any of this style in stock? Obviously, I don’t care if the fourth post is in the back or not...I just want to make sure it works with my tractor. I’d like to have a replacement on hand if this one ends up failing.

The interesting thing about my regulator is that the fourth post is on the back. I’ve included a pic for reference.

View attachment 140528

Charlie...do you carry any of this style in stock? Obviously, I don’t care if the fourth post is in the back or not...I just want to make sure it works with my tractor. I’d like to have a replacement on hand if this one ends up failing.
I've got both styles.
1603312370029.png

Thanks Charlie! I’ll be placing an order soon...

Back