• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 05, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Just as well get some action going here.
244354.jpg

Charlie - You've had those for a while haven't you?

IMO, those M&W 9-spds are about the only reason to have a '61-'63 CC. Just think, with just a simple up-grade to 23-8.50 tires from the stock 6-12 GY turfs which are only 21 inches tall, you have a 12 MPH road gear.... faster than most full size 2-cylJD & Allis-Chalmers tractors.

And how many of the Hub City PTO gearboxes do you have stashed away now, the ones like Alex has on his 71?

The pto on my 682 is starting to make noise when not engaged. The parts break down makes it look like I could have to replace complete pto, as it shows no bearing. Is there a bearing that can be replaced and if so, were can I buy one? thanks

Charlie and Dennis - if you install one of those M&W 9-Speeds don't you really have 12 speeds????
1a_scratchhead.gif

Or does reverse just go away because there is no more room on that little tag?
1a_violin.gif

I think I'll just stick with the slush-box and keep my "infinitely variable" forward and backward speeds.
err.gif

Had to move a car yesterdy to get it parted out, a full size 1960 Chrysler. After airing up the tires and hooking a chain to the 1250 she walked it right out onto the drive and up a little incline just like a real grown up tractor!!

Dave S
244370.jpg

HARRY - Technically, yes, nine forward and three reverse, but a "4-Speed" or "5-Spd" or "9-spd" always refers to just forward gears. Then there's the ready-mix cement truck I drove the summer of '76, an old '66 White Mustang I think they called it, 165 HP Cummins, 5 spd main & 4-spd aux. gear box. I had 15 forward gears for hard surface conditions, four forward creeper gears, and four reverses. Your normal Eaton Road-Ranger truck transmissions all had 2 or more reverses, and those with "Splitters" like the 13-spds you had four. Same thing with medium duty trucks w/2-spd axles, hi & lo reverse, but they were called a 4+2 or 5+2.

ANYHOW... Gear Drives Rule... Hydro's drool.

Some day when I retire I'm going to Build the Super Garden tractor IH should have built. Not sure what the engine will be but the rearend & transmission will be from an A or B Farmall, 4-spd forward. Probably use about a 8" x 16" rear tire to slow it down a little and keep the drop boxes on the rear axles. With stock 9X24 rear tires it had 2.3, 3.6, 4.8, & 10 MPH forward gears. Lots of ground clearance that way.

DAVID - SON pulled a "Low-Rider" '64 Impala with my 982 a couple weeks ago up his sloping concrete driveway. I even got to see the black marks from MY expensive Firestone tires! Car was missing a few parts, but all the batteries, pumps, & motors for the hyd lift system was still in tact as well as the engine & tranmission. In fact they used the lift AS a lift to work under the car.

You get those little tractors on good footing and it's amazing what they can pull.

I hear Geezer sold my M&W to some one in the northeast.It was too nice for me.The other Original #682 is just as nice .
greenthumb.gif

Denny,
I would like to have an M&W 9 speed sometime, but I don't think I want a 12 mph "O" with it's sometime vague steering and one wheel brake. Some of the "O"'s don't steer too good even after rebuilding the 50 + year old steering box. Kinda like the old man said about a "chain steer" steam tractor, you don't steer it, you herd it, or on a good day, aim it.

It would be nice to know how many M&W's were built, it is thought to be less than a 100, with the numbers starting a 10xx. All the ones I am aware of or have seen (12 or 15 or so) had a S/N between 1000 and 1100

Dennis - hmmm, let me see now. If Gear Drives Rule then you should probably get out your rule and calculate the 3 reverse speeds so Charlie can make up another little tag that shows those mph speeds.
fence.gif
HYDROS ARE FOREVER

On another note, I was recently reviewing the Operator Manual for the 1x8/1x9 series and ran across page 10 discussing the recommended fuel. According to this information 91 Octane "unleaded" gas is really better to use than leaded gas. I had thought all along these Kohler K-series engines were designed for leaded gas and I worried about having valve problems since my lead supply ran out. Looks like if I just stick with 91 high octane (known to some of us as Ethyl or Premium) I should be good to go.

Nic Bextermueller:
I purchased an Equus 6088 Tach. Not being a technical expert, I'll ask you how to wire this thing. According to the diagram....

Black wire to ground....White wire to Dash lighting circuit....Red wire to fuse block...Green wire to negative side of coil....Brown wire to to spark plug wire....I am not sure that we have a "dash lighting circuit"....You sound as if you are knowledgable in this process...How would you suggest I hook this up ?

Harry-

If you read the latest Kohler manual, you'll find unleaded, minimum 87 octane is recommended. I think you're throwing your money away by putting premium in it.

Paul, BTDT with my "Mein Kub". That thing went like h---, but didn't want to stop so well.

Matt,

In some parts of the country running premium gets you away from having ethanol. They sell the premium up here in WI and market as recreational fuel for all the boaters, atvs, and snowmobiles without ethanol. It's all I run just to get away from the ethanol. I just like having that choice up here because I didn't have it in IL.

Harry, Matt and John:

I read the very same information on page 10 of my owner's manual. I use 91 octane unleaded gasoline without ethanol for my 1250 nightmare. I also lace that gasoline with a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil for each gallon. I am not sure if I should be using a fuel stabilizer also, or if the MMO works as a stabilizer for the gasoline. In Minnesota, 91 octane unleaded gasoline is sold only for small engines, collector vehicles and off-road machinery. After replacing the points, condenser, and installing the correct spark plug, the nightmare runs well on this combination.

The only things that should be green and yellow are the NDSU Bison. GO Bison!

Charles Lamb: I think you should hook the white wire up to the light switch if you have one. The Dash circuit would be the circuit on the dimmer switch in an automobile. If you don't have a light switch, you could wire it straight to the ignition and it would burn day or night.

Just my 2 cents.

You guys can do whatever you want with your money...my tractors run just fine on 87 octane
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back