Archive through September 01, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1200 finally headed down the driveway. It was actually a week ago yesterday (Friday) and he has emailed back "happily" several times. He finally has his tractor back like he's use to...working. He tried two other places one being a qualified cub cadet service center and he didn't get good work. I found aftermarket points and NO points cover grommet. I posted pics of the exhaust valve I found...ready to fail. The muffler had broken away from the exhaust nipple which was mostly unrepairable so I didn't bother. The electric PTO was gravely out of adjustment and the coil "coating" had mostly chipped away. I cleaned and replaced it with a good epoxy bath/coating. And it "clicked" right in afterwards. The 3 pin clutch driver had broken and was split all the way across the back side. I replaced it with the heavy duty version Charlie sells which is an impressive looking part. It replaces either the QL series or the 1x2/4/8 series clutch driver. (suck up points entered here)

I also did a lot of small extras like going through the front spindles and "squeezing" the axle channel. I cleaned and painted (with my famous BBQ 1200* spray paint) a few pieces of the exhaust system/box and made a "muffler crutch". It turns out the muffler box bracket had some cracks that needed some tig work (which I had a local welding shop do). I also did the ISO rail modification.

Other than that, I didn't do much. The tractor was obviously a result of proud ownership yet an unavoidable ignorance to certain maintenance issues like the exhaust valve (stem was worn to nothing ready to break at any moment) or the 3 pin clutch driver ready to explode. The further I went, the more I found.

My main concerns were with the issues at hand so I didn't even look at the clutch/drive shaft. I did notice a slight vibration once I got it back together and running but it all worked well and it goes into every gear.

I've since replaced the clutch in Bull, my trailer tractor and have everything in order for the same on a 108...pending a "Charlie order".

Never a dull moment.

I guess I'm just trying to strike up some posting here on this 3 day weekend.

OK Wayne, here it comes.........

worthless.gif

err.gif

Attachments

• err.gif
    err.gif
    251 bytes · Views: 135
  • worthless.gif
    worthless.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 144
Wayne

Sounds like the 1200 got a Really good going over. I remember seeing that exhaust valve. Good thing you got to it when you did. That is quite a list of repairs and parts. The positive follow up emails I assume gave you that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment, especially since it's concerning an IH cub cadet!
thumbsup.gif

Also you mentioned "squeezing" axle channel which is terminology I'm not familiar with. But overall sounds like the 1200 and the owner both are very fortunate to have crossed your path!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I believe my 149 could use a good dose of Wayne Shytle...

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 127
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 119
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 125
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 130
Jarod - glad to hear you got the 109 going. 10hp Kohler is a terrific engine with the 109 hydro makes a great mowing machine if that's what you intend.

Wayne - geez, you really did a whole lot of work on the 1200. And the extras you mention just to top it off. I really don't know what to say. There's no question you saved it from being replaced. I'm certain you're really proud of the work you did and you certainly should be. I can hardly believe that engine was running with the valve you showed in the pic. Any your mention of squeezing the front axle has now got the attention of Jason so I'm pretty certain that's now on his list to check and certainly do.

Jason - good to see you were getting some seat time. Based on your pics I'm a little concerned with the way you may have set up your deck. The wheels on the deck are supposed to be "gauge" wheels that only touch the surface when the ground is uneven. If you continually run them on the ground the mounting brackets will break away from the deck. The deck is supposed to be set in the "float" position so it "hangs" from the sub-frame without the wheel touching the ground. If you're into cutting your grass really short and the pics somewhat show, then you may need to just move the wheel mounting bolts up a notch or two.

Also, I know you mentioned something about moving the wheel mounting brackets to the inside of the rear tires - but your deck is not designed for that. That was done with some of the 38" decks as I recall, and I never actually liked that option.

Now, about squeezing your front axle channel, I'm pretty certain there's an FAQ on that, as well as alot of info in the archives. It's not really difficult to do, but would have been easier with your engine removed. Your dished oil pan makes it tight to get at, but with a good bolt and thin jam nut you should be able to do it.

Marty-

I took over 100 pics of the 1200 job at various stages. I wouldn't know which to post now.

I got tired of getting on Bull and finding that the clutch was stuck yet again. I went ahead and used a new clutch disc I had along with a new T/O bearing. All that was really necessary was re-surfacing the pressure plates and, of course, a new teaser/spacer. Everything else was in good shape. I thought Bull's old clutch was in better shape and was going to use it in the 108 but that ain't happening. While waiting for the new clutch I'm cleaning small things and painting where I can on this 108. I had to get a hood hinge too which was missing from the git-go. This unit was brought here by a guy that wanted to know immediately how much it would be to fix it and get it running. I told him at least a couple hundred and that's when I was made an offer. I gave him $250 for the 108 and it never left.

Bull is finished with and back in the barn.

My next project needs to be the Trac Vac I plan to build. I think I have all of the parts necessary including a nice 8hp Briggs I/C for the blower. I'll use the 149 I just finished with the 48" deck. If anyone knows a good supplier of the large flex hose please let me know. That's the one thing I haven't acquired yet. I also haven't decided on actuators or hydraulics yet but it has to dump. The trailer I'm using is a small boat trailer I'm converting. I'll start a proper thread in the sandbox and include pics when the show begins.

Hydro -

I just wanted to point out how "Very Observant" you are! Seems like almost every pic I've posted you have mentioned, even down to the smallest detail, anything and everything that doesn't appear to be correct, setup correctly, or even things that could be cause for concern! Just so you know I do not take that in a "nit-picking" way whatsoever! As I am just over 4mnths in the game at this point, ALL those things you notice are actually Very Helpful and Appreciated from my standpoint anyway!!!!

Concerning the front axle channel "squeeze" I found Ide's "how to" in Charlie's FAQ: HERE:

Also you "noticed" I cut low. Actually I cut low and Very Seldom! Which is from what I've read the exact opposite of proper lawn care, high & often....

I'll have to do some more digging concerning the 44A inside wheel mounts before I begin that project.

Since I read your post I've found the FAQ's page concerning proper way to level deck, here and also Digger saving Steve B a dose of carpal tunnel syndrome, on Proper Deck Leveling, back in 2008 here, all bold type near bottom of page.
thumbsup.gif

All very good info that I'm going to have to dig into and use when my 44A gets some of the TLC it's been lacking!!!
popcorn.gif

Thanks Again!

Attachments

• popcorn.gif
    popcorn.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 137
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 128
Wayne,

Have you checked with Grainger for the flex hose?

Over 100 pics and you didn't post any?
bottom.gif

It doesn't matter which pics you post, any of them would be great.
I can't read, so all I can do is look at the pics!!
rofl.gif

Sure would like to see that 108 too.
Sometimes I just go out to the cub building and stand there and stare for a good long while. (yellow and white fever therapy)

Jason,

Hydro is good for pointing out things, pretty much an expert in my book.
He is as close to the
correct police.gif
as you can get without being one!
lol.gif

On another note, you posted a couple of pics of that fine tractor.
It appears you have kicked everyone out of the saddle since you have that nice padded seat to sit in!
biggrin.gif

I know you have been mowing a lot, but I am still waiting for some more pics of those monster mudders on that fine 149!

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    388 bytes · Views: 127
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 124
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 134
  • bottom.gif
    bottom.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 124
Wayne-

I'm leaning towards this when the 6" hose for my vacuum goes out (probably won't make it more than a couple seasons). Not cheap, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is a decent price if it'll last. A 12.5' length would probably allow 3 sets of replacements for me.

Wayne, Matt,

Try this lookup for lawn vac hose, maybe not as good as the OEM black that sells for $250

Agri-Fab 41882 Hose, Clear (6-Inch by 84-Inch)

I do like the clear, sometimes hard to tell of the hose is plugged.

Jim

I see I have missed much in the last few months. I just moved I in my new house with attached cub shed. Haven't got them here yet, waiting in various locals about the county during move. Dave S. I love that 126! Jason W. You'll enjoy the AGS, I have 2 44a decks I use on the 1200 or 1450's and no clearance issues on the Carlisle tru-powers, 23-10.5-12. Looks great!
I fired up all 4 cubs no problem to move them, 782 ran great until carb went low on gas, fuel pump is crapping out, time for a cube! #2-1450 with qa42a drove fine and fogged for mosquitoes during the trip! And I just bought a 102 with creeper, ran 3 years ago, and 104 with complete mounted cozy cab from a buddy who is tired of letting them sit outside not doing anything. 104 ain't run in better part of 25 years at least. Oh, and I picked up a creeper to install in 1200.

#1 on project list:
Get more projects
CHECK!!

Latest posts

Back