• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 24, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will the tractor run with a faulty generator? does it supply electricity for the spark.
i will take the generator off tomorrow i test it using that method.

Mathew-

Yes, it will run with a faulty generator until the battery runs down. The ignition is powered by the battery that is charged by the starter/generator, so indirectly, it supplies power to the ignition system. You don't need to remove the S/G to test it...see my previous post.

Ronald:
dunno.gif
215241.jpg

Mathew, welcome to the forum from another Fl. Cubber.
This forum and the sponsors are great and you can and will find all of the information and parts you need to make your antique tractor like new again.

I've got an OLD (32yrs.) Yamaha receiver running through a pair of Infinity speakers (real wood!) of the same age in the Cub shed. It won't die which is good for me!!

N. Calhoun Co. is farm country. Do you see many other Cub Cadets in your neck of the woods?
devil2.gif
Grin
poof.gif

Again, welcome.

Terry R. Those are neat YouTube sets. Thank you for setting them up.

Brian S. Absolutely super looking!!!

Matthew L. Welcome....
groupwave.gif

I had to work this morning. When I got home the electrician was installing a circuit breaker so the garage finally had legal wiring and 220 volts so I can finally hook up my welder. He left for lunch and I brought Fancy out so we could go for a walk before I ate lunch. While I was putting the side shields on the JD318, Fancy walked around to the north side of the garage. When I went to check on him, I called his name and asked where he was as I always do. I heard him meow so I walked over to between the garage and the house and found him looking at something underneath the patio chairs. Long story short... Angel and I had to take this little girl to the vet (emergency trip since it was Saturday afternoon). Now back home with her own box and her new Daddy (Fancy) watching over her like a hawk. These were taken with my cell phone. Please welcome Fancy's new buddy, Annie Girl.

215259.jpg

215260.jpg

The vet gave her a bath and some shots and sent her home. She figured Annie Girl is around 4-5 weeks old. Now Fancy will have a buddy when he goes Cub riding.
215261.gif

I got a kick out of your post/tear down Art!!

Like Dennis said, I hope you did not MUSCLE that cubby around?

Denny/Richard-
Yep, had flop this one around by hand. The loader has been at my parent's house for the past couple of months now.

I was kind of chuckling as I was taking those pics though, because I'm actually harvesting parts for a future loader-tractor project. Kind of an odd irony...

I learned that standing up a narrow frame hydro actually makes removing the transmission quite easy, and it was fairly stable leaning back on it's fenders. Of course, resting on the rear fenders isn't the best for a show-tractor, but in case you didn't notice......this isn't a show-tractor.
clappy.gif

ART - WHAT are you doing posting to the forum at 1 AM?

My advice on a loader, is the same advice I give on pickups & air compressors and work shops. Get the BIGGEST you can justify because the work you find or create because you have them will grow.

Did a little work on the CC 70 yesterday. While grading a week or two ago I noticed the left frt wheel was "wobbling", inside wheel bearing was falling apart. So I put four new wheel bearings in yesterday AM. WOW they got expensive. The bad one came out in pieces, the other three were at least still in one piece.

Got a question. It seems to me the only internal difference between a KT17 and an M18 is the crankshaft & connecting rods. Are the jugs, heads, pistons, & case the same? In other words, if I had a KT17 and I wanted it fully pressurized, then I could just change out these items. Correct???

Norm

Norm-

Not quite. The case, camshaft, oil pump, ignition system, flywheel, etc. are all different. I think the jugs are interchangeable but not necessarily exactly the same; I also believe the M18 heads are slightly higher compression.

The K301 engine in my 125 starts fine and runs for about 1-2 minutes. Then it slowly slows and dies. Won't start again until it's cold.

I replaced the piston and rings about 2 years ago and it's run fine since. I'm going to try some MMO in the fuel. If that doesn't work, I'm hoping a carb rebuild will fix it.

If that doesn't do I'm guessing a valve problem?

Don-
A couple things to check for...

When the tractor slows and dies, crack the fuel cap and see if it will run then. You may have a plugged vent on the cap.

Or...

After it dies, pull the spark plug, roll the engine over and see if you've got spark. I've had a coil that would "lose" it's spark when it warmed up. (A bad condensor "could" do the same thing)

It could be a sticky valve, but you want to make sure you've got fuel and spark when it happens.

Denny-
It wasn't 1am, it was 2am!
happy.gif
I hear ya on the "go big" thought when it comes to loaders (and workshops, air-compressors, and pick-ups). We already have a decent sized OFF-TOPIC loader, so this CC-sized version will be more of a "small-jobs" machine.

I picked this up on Saturday,a 108 with creeper,3pt,headlights,and spring assist.Also came with a snow blade and tiller.Needs a clutch,runs well.It has the PTO style brake on it.I don't really need another wide frame.I will probably take off the goodies and put them on my 128.I will fix the clutch and prolly sell it.
215276.jpg

215277.jpg

I am having a little problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have a Cub Cadet 149 with a 14hp Kohler Engine. I just repainted it and now when I run it there is oil leaking from the air breather right above the oil dipstick. When I take the cover off, there is oil running out. This can't be normal. Any ideas? Thanks!

JB, look at the plate that faces the inside of the engine, there is a hole to drain the oil back into the engine on the BOTTOM. Did the PO put it back upside down ?? Also is the drain hole pulgged...?

In the parts lookup for the 70 & 100 there are 3 different Carter carbs under the carburetor I listing. They all have the same part number but different Carter numbers. Does anyone know if there are Carter specs somewhere to see the differences. Also.. in the Carburetor II listing, does anyone know the manufacturer of that carb? And third, I have seen some carbs for sale that are listed as Carter N that have the mounting holes as open slots. The ones I have are holes. Was the N offered both ways?

Thanks Allen. I will investigate this this week and let you know what the status is. Not looking forward to this oily mess. =( I really appreciate the quick response!

Thanks!

JB

Back