• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 17, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,

I think you should have the original install instructions on file for the wide frame spring assist......I think I scanned them way back when....

Bryan,
31553.jpg

Attachments

• 31553.jpg
    31553.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 31553.jpg
    31553.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 150
Steve / Kraig- If you come across the scan could you send it to me?
Thanks, All

Rick M,
Most of that is for our website, but believe it or not, there's 3 tiller gearboxes, 2 NF hydraulic pumps and one other super secret piece of Cub stuff in among that mess!
clappy.gif

Attachments

• clappy.gif
    clappy.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 140
John G,
I dunno but I just put a 3 just like that on the 149,1450,1650 yesterday.
31556.jpg

Attachments

• 31556.jpg
    31556.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 31556.jpg
    31556.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 133
Matt S, this is the way I like them. It is the correct way to mount a non driven ag tire. Just my opinion.
31560.jpg

Attachments

• 31560.jpg
    31560.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 150
  • 31560.jpg
    31560.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 141
Matt S.

This is the way I mounted my ag tires on front. I know its not the correct way for a non-driven ag tire. But to me it just looks better to have them running the same direction as the rears. Just my opinion. I have noticed while plowing, the front of the tractor seems to grip better with the ag tires. I'm sure the grip will be better no matter which direction the ag tires are mounted.
31567.jpg

Attachments

• 31567.jpg
    31567.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 134
  • 31567.jpg
    31567.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 127
You all have a good weekend, I am off work again tomorrow so I will not be able to chetch up on the forum until next Monday.
I have managed to get every Friday off from work until the end of this year, got to love a 4 day work week.
See you all next week.

Hey Gus,
Any reports from the PD site?

<font size="-2">(Hate to say it, but <u>I'm</u> hoping for rain and another shot at plowin' next weekend.)</font>

Headed out for the weekend. Have a great time out there, be safe!!!

Received the spring assist yesterday afternoon and mounted it last night. Thanks again for all the help!

Steve, I must be getting old, I forgot that you scanned that. Looks like Rick has his installed wrong, (but he already explained why) the manual shows the bracket as going to the outside of the frame like in the photos I posted.

31571.jpg

Todd, the full scans are on their way. :eek:)

Attachments

• 31571.jpg
    31571.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 31571.jpg
    31571.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 140
Todd, I just saw your post that you got the spring installed. Sorry I was late with the instructions.

Interesting! Wonder if my spring is thicker for some reason?

I'll have to poke around at PD and see.

Rick,

Much more strength when mounted on the outside of the frame rail and the frame can carry the load from the tensioned spring....instead of only 2 bolts.

Front Ag Tires:

My PERSONAL opinion:

Unless you have a driven front axle (MFWD) ag tires do not belong on the front of any tractor. Steering is best acomplished with a ribbed steering tire.

The practice of running ag tires in non-driven applications has been around for a long time, but ususlly for one of 2 reasons....1) Ground driven metering systems (planters, fertlizer spreaders, manure spreaders, and trip lifts on old plows) 2) No suitable non-driven style tire is/was available/affordable in the given size (used combine tires on auger wagons, fertlizer carts, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, if you want ags on the front of your machine, go ahead and do what you think is best...everyone is entitled to have their machine "their way". I'm going to stick with high traction turfs (like the MultiTrac CS) or tri-ribs on my machines.

.....I'm still waiting for my 2 "ultimate" tires to be made..... 10.50 Firestone 23 deg. (deep lug) ags for the rear, and 16x6.50 4 rib steering tires........oh well, wish in one hand...$%^& in the other........

Matt S.

I might be missing something but if you do use ag on the front it will not matter how you mount them. If you try it one way, wonder about the other direction just swap wheels, they will be reversed.

I just got my Tri-ribs like Steve recommended and they do steer like a dream. I have traversed the same hillside that has previously given me trouble and they track perfectly. Thanks Steve

Steve-
Thanks for the well written post concerning ag lug type tires vs tri-ribs on the front. I have oft wondered at the reasoning behind placing the ag type tires on the steering axle. Obviously the "look" of a larger FWA tractor is intended. How many non FWA full size tractors are to be found with ag lug style tires on the front ?

Tri rib style are designed for easy steering and maximum lateral resistance. For comparison get on a steep slope and see which style will slide downhill first.

For efficiency the tri ribs can't be surpassed and the "look" is not only "correct" it is far more esthetically pleasing.

Keep the little ag lugs for the Sears snow blowers.

Thanks Bob....

BTW, As stated before, the "correct" way to run a non-driven ag tire is "backwards".....this promotes self cleaning on the lugs and in a ground drive situation "traps" soil in the "V" of the lug, forcing it to rotate and not skid.

Back