• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 14, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlipp

displayname
James Derwin Schlipp
OIL question. I understand the importance of using 30W oil because of the high temp running of the tractors. but can 10w30 be used in cold temps for short work times like plowing the driveway (30-60 minutes) in the winter months here in Michigan with the temps in the 30s? Temp really puts a damper on getting the 129 started that once a week and I usually just heat the tractor up from underneath. my neighbors use the 10/30 in there newer tractors during the winter months but I've always wanted to stick by the book with my 129/169/and 1450
thanks

JAMES - If you check the operator's manual a straight 10W oil is recommended for operation between Zero & 32 Degrees F. And a 5W-20 or straight 5W oil at below zero temps. The straight weight oild will probably be hard to find now days except at an oil/lubricant distributor.

The new Kohler K-series engine manual says 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil can be used from Zero to 32 degrees F. And 5W-20 or 5W-30 below Zero Degrees F. http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/pub/TP-2379.pdf

Starting a Kohler with 30 weight oil in cold temps is pretty hard on them. The engine is "Splash Lubricated" and a straight 30 weight oil doesn't "splash" well at 32 degrees. Trying to warm the engine helps. Many of us here have magnetic heaters we stick on the engines to warm the engine for starting.

FWIW, I run 15W-40 Rotella oil in my CC's, but I only run one of them any during winter. I use my bigger tractors to move snow.

James,
I've used 5W-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic in my 149 for 15 years w/o issue.. really aids in cold weather starting... The Hydro then becomes the sticky wicket...

James,
I use the same as MR. Tanner-- have for 10+ years.

I should add that a magnetic heater on the hydro case 'prolly would do wonders...
lazerburn.gif
flame.gif

Anyone have some pics of their magnetic heaters? I bet one on the engine and one on the trans would really help get a cub goin in the cold, its a bear gettin mine going sometimes. Ive used a heat gun, hair dryer and even a hot light bulb to warm the engine enough to turn over less sluggishly. Doesnt take the kohler too long to warm up though, the little boogers get HOT

My dad used to talk about leaning tins up against the engine of an F-20 and getting a corn cob fire going under it to get it started in the real cold weather.

Bring on the snow.... yea like you guys wanted to hear that! lol More in the custom section. IM ready to have a driveway clearing contest with you now Charlie!

231674.jpg

Glen, here's a LINK to an old post with photos of my magnetic heater. They only work on the cast iron rear ends. They do not work on the engine as there is no spot big enough to place it and the oil pan is aluminum. Besides, they do the most good on a hydro to warm the Hy-Tran.

Thanks Kraig, thats neat lookin and its a pretty cool wood magnet too!

Heres a shot of the hour meter installed and my much needed fuel neck for my tank.

231678.jpg

231679.jpg

Glenn, I have a 149 that a PO put that same hole in the hood. I think he used an old tomato can, a little one. The first time I saw I had to look twice, it didn't look that bad. He'd glued it to the real gas cap snd drilled a small hole below the hood line for venting. It was a slick set-up.

Interesting Dave, if my other cap wasnt damaged that mightve been a better way to go, since gas doesnt eat metal like it can with rubber.

DAVE - Years ago in winter on the way to my preferred local source for CC, IH, & Powerstroke engine parts there was this old farm house, guy had a MACK 10-wheeler dump truck that must not have had a block heater. He'd slide old two lit Weber charcoal grills without the legs under the truck to warm it up and lean big cardboard sheets up against the truck to keep the wind away. Must have worked because some days it would be gone with just tracks in the snow.

The winters I drove I'd bring my semi-tractor home and leave it parked in the street in back of our lot. It had an air starter so it spun fairly fast in cold weather but only for a couple seconds. I'd flip the hood, check the oil, water, and give the dry type air cleaner a quick spray of ether starting fluid, drop & latch the hood, say a short prayer, and hit the starter button. I only ever had to recharge the 100 gallon starter air tank with my tiny 3/4 HP air compressor two, maybe three times so it started pretty well. Really cold nights I'd throw a large piece of cardboard over the radiator and let it idle about 800 RPM. The 903 Cummins was well known to have the pistons contract, then "wet-stack" and slobber really bad all the while it was puffing nasty gray/white smoke out the stack when idling in cold weather. Some times it'd take 5-6 miles of running for it to clear up and run right.

As for cold weather oil look up the cold pour point on the MSDS/oil specs for oil you are using or plan to use. Many straight 30 weight oils of today will give the 10w-30 multi-weights a run for the money for cold pour point... however once you drop down below 15* then it may be a good idea to look at a synthetic oil for wintertime use, as well many oils today just regular dino multi weight oils will have outstanding cold weather properties.

Aaron: What is the model number of that snowblower you pictured on Friday?

I think the vibration from my kohler has my hour meter stuck, its been on six tenths for about...two hours now lol...any ideas on how to fix it? Its a cheap Hobbs knock off, guess I shoulda bitten the bullet and gotten the Hobbs instead lol

Blame this on Frank C , he said take some pictures of that loader and post em. so For Frank

Pool cover ,pool is getting closed today.24'
231709.jpg

I did get my fiver pad finished,Loaders are cool

231710.jpg

Then washed the 129 loader, want it to be clean for Monday when the hard lines get installed.

231711.jpg

231712.jpg

231713.jpg

231714.jpg

Don T, Did you build that loader? I think I want one for my 782D.

Latest posts

Back