• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 11, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmerkle

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Dale Merkle
Glen C.

Was this the the Cub you saw?
42852.jpg

This is my Dad's 149.
Tractor was leghten 10 inches so front power take off could be used to run mower. Power to run the mower deck comes from a 90 degree gear box off of a 1100 Cub Cadet. It's the same setup as a tiller drive with the output shaft facing towards the rear. Mower deck is from a Simplicity tractor.

Dad made the 3 point lift. Dad has it set up so you can use a 3 point or brinly sleeve hitch on it. Tractor pulls a 12 inch sleeve hitch plow at several plow days. I did plow with this tractor last weekend(Oct. 7). It's a fun to plow with.

I'm new to the board, but I've been playing with Cub Cadets since my dad brought a 102 home that he had gotten well-used from the State Highway Administration. It was pretty much a worn-out piece of junk by then, but we kept patching it up, and still have it 34 years later. It still plows snow, but its mowing days are pretty well through, and needs a new engine and some transmission gears (particularly reverse).

My other Cub is a 129 I found on Ebay for $150 with a blown engine. It is now pretty much able to cut grass thanks to a couple of partial donor engines I acquired at the Maryland Steam Historical Society's annual show in Arcadia, MD. My pieced together 301 runs good, and based on my micrometer readings should run well for a long time, but I need to work out some wiring issues and fix a goof I made putting the PTO together. OOOPS I forgot the bearing retainer ring, now it won't release :-/

As for the 102, its latest patched together junk engine had .015 taper on a .030 overbore. I put in new rings, filed the rod caps, lapped the valves and hoped for the best. It runs, but between the piston slap, rod knock and the smoke it is only a matter of time before either it self-destructs or the EPA shuts me down. I does carry a narrow-frame snowplow which is very useful in the wintertime to keep about 1/4 mile of driveway and private road clear, which is a more or less compelling reason to keep it going. I have enough parts left over from my 129 build to put together another motor, but I will probably spring for a rebuild kit and a .010 overbore, and hopefully find a decent transmission gear set.

Thanks for the welcome Wild Bill. Too tired to tinker tonight, I put in almost 12 hours today at my day job rebuilding a big machine that turns incoming bill payment mail into nice little bundles of checks, documents, and computer files.

Kraig, Brad's 1466 is a 14hp. I plowed with it over the weekend, lots of power. So much I sheared a driveshaft pin. It pulls hard and plows deep, sort a like Big and Middle Steve.
If Big Steve isn't plowing deep he isn't happy.

CHRIS - Those DANGED PINS! BTDT...a couple times!
GLEN COLEMAN - I've tried plowing snow with everything from My CC-72 to My 6000+# Farmall Super H and Dad's '51 FARMALL M. With the 23-8.50" FIRESTONE 23 Deg. lugs on My 72, and about 90# of weight on each tire but no chains I can push more snow by hand than the tractor can.....but with chains it actually becomes useful. I've got chains for everything except My 982, and of course My cars & pickups. I scratch My concrete driveway but I don't care. The scratches fade over time.

DALE M. - I LIKE that 149
buttrock.gif

Glen: Very nice looking 149 can tell a lot of guys put a lot of time retoring or just keeping these old Cub's looking good.

I really like looking at the "Red" machines my old 782 was and still is my favorite always thought about making it look like a 1066 or so and now realize it might have been easier than thought.

Oh Lord I can see having to make room in the shop for a "red one"!!
whistling.gif
!

Pops

Well I thought I was out of the snow we left yesterday,
42864.jpg

Then I wake up to this crap today!
42865.jpg

After almost coming to blows with the goof up north, I did get the Cub lot moved south across the border!
BUT, I had to put them in storage cause this pile of Lodge Pole Pine took precedence for the ride back home for right now.
42866.jpg

SWEET 149 custom!!

It's snowing!!!! Yea!!! Time to rip the mow deck off and slap on the dozer blade, winter fun is just around the corner!

proud.gif
proud.gif
proud.gif

Oh yea,
Terry B.
I can't think of a thing that you could possibly miss about me not being around other than maybe waiting to see what dribble will spew from my keyboard!
biggrin.gif

Charlie, where in Minnesota are you at? My grandmother lives on the Rainy River between the Falls, and Baudette and she had similar snow the way it sounds...

Tom R,
This mornings snow was in S.E. Minnesota, Spring Valley. Yestedays snow was in N.W. Mn. on the edge of Itasca State Park.
From from the cabin tuesday morning at sunrise,
42868.jpg

Charlie,
I like seeing the pictures of all the goodies you pick up on your adventures.
thumbsup.gif

There are some creative cub owners out there..... and some hacks.
screwloose.gif

Terry,
As soon as we find the pics, I'll post some.
Finally got all the paperwork done on the cabin.
I hate dealing with inlaws when it comes to money.
But it's all ours lock stock and lake front! grin
No payments for me!
42870.jpg

Charlie: Beautiful setting almost built a log cabin back on the back 40 next to my woods but Mamma wanted to be closer to the road! Jeesh!!

If my son and daughter-in-law with baby coming next spring want our new home (6 yrs old) I still could be persuaded to move farther away from humans and then have more room for Cubs and old Chevy trucks.

Pops

Hello: Any information on headlight Bulb replacements for my CCO housings?

Chris E., for some reason I thought Brad's Cub was a 169. I see it has the smaller 14hp air cleaner, but I thought he said it as a 169. Oh well. Thanks for correcting me.
happy.gif

Charlie, nice!

Thanks for all the Cub compliments, and I'll look into thr triple ribs in the 16x6.50-8 size... I wonder if I can find out how much M.E.Miller Tire wants 4 them...I'l call 'em soon, More pics soon, Glen.
thumbsup.gif

Glen C.

If you go to ME Miller Tire's Website they have a price list, they list them on there at $65 Per Tire.

http://www.millertire.com/

I don't have any but I have seen them on tractors and they sure do look sharp.

Dale... No, this isn't the Tractor that I saw... But I really like the rear mower... It was a standard white n yeller cub 149,w/ a small yellow King Kutter bushhog... Cool tractor though
thumbsup.gif

Latest posts

Back