• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 07, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan, I'll make a list up tonight. No blow holes yet, I don't have a hole saw and didn't find a friend with one either but they will get there.
err.gif
. Pretty easy to take the deck cover off. The front tires are a couple of years old and only run on the grass. Carlisle from Tucker or Cedar Rapids.... CRS.

On the front headlight deal,,,, Charlie's decal is flawless and I think my install is nice. No bubbles or creases. What you see is the decal going over the "mystery bump" that is stamped into the blocking plate. Does anyone else have this bump??

66360.jpg

Richard-
That crease is not supposed to be there in the headlight block out plate.

Perhaps you stepped on it and bent it before you cleaned it up for paint?

Just having fun at your expense.....
bouncy.gif

Well, I didn't get any bites on my question about taking the k301 out of my 1250 and putting it in the 123 so I'm thinking of a different plan now.
yummy.gif
I think I may just get a different block and build a new engine. Would it be possible to fit a K321 or K341 into the 123 frame without much fabricating?

Thanks,
Brent

Brent R.
You can do it without chopping up the frame by changing the flywheel/sheetmetal from the 12 to the 14 or 16.
Why not just rebuild the 12?

Art...
yikes.gif

While I'm waiting for a little touch up paint to dry on the mule drive I thought I'd share this little tidbit. See the two pieces of pipe one either side of the pulley hangars,,,, sitting on top of the rod, well my idea was to put them there slid onto the rod as spacers and not have to drill out my new rod for pins to keep things in place and installed them. Went to put the whole shebang under the tractor and realized very quickly that my "pipe spacer mod" wouldn't work. Those pipe spacers just wouldn't get into the quick attach......
bash.gif
. It's now drilled as per IH.

66363.jpg

Thanks Charlie,

Two reasons for not rebuilding the engine that is in there. First one, why not go bigger?
happy.gif
But the more important reason is that one of the head bolts broke off and I did a poor job of removing the remainder of the bolt. I ended up drilling it out and tapping it at the next size (7/16). It seems to be holding but I don't feel real good about it. Compression test shows about 75psi so either the head gasket is leaking again and/or it needs new rings.

~Brent

Brent,
You can bore it 30 over and get more than enough power.
The head bolt will hold forever.
As far as the compression goes.
You do know that Kohlers are equipped with an automatic compression release don't ya?
You might want to to to the FAQ page listed above and download the manual for K series engines.
You'll need a manometer to really check things right.
thumbsup.gif

Answered my previous post, by using the search feature. It answered both my questions and like Charlie said, you find some other neat stuff too!

Todd H.

On your brake question, if I recall correctly from the parts book, IH used two or three different brake suppliers for Cubbies that got external disc brakes, including the 8/9 series. That may be the reason for the difference you see on your two tractors. The brake assemblies are interchangable from Cubby to Cubby, but I'm not sure the brake pads are.

Charlie,

Yep, I know compression isn't the best measure of the health of one of these engines but it is all I had.
happy.gif
It also uses some oil so that also makes me suspect the rings are bad (or the valve guides?). Anyway, I may take the head off and measure the cylinder and see how it looks. I should have done that when I had the head off the other day but I didn't think of it then.
happy.gif

So the k301 in the 1250 would work too if I switched the flywheel cover, right? If I could do that it would make it easier to rebuild the existing engine because I could continue to use the tractor while I rebuild. It won't be long until it snows here in WI and I don't want to be stuck without my snow removal machine. I can't shovel 500' of driveway.

~BRent

Latest posts

Back