• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
HAY!! WHERED EVERYBODY GO??

A fresh page to start the weekend out on.

Paul Bell,
Part of the problem I have seen with the coil is the case (or core, for lack of a better words), cracks over time, and the performance of the coil decreases.

That is why the wires on mine were cut and the coil installed. They said it had a weak spark. BTW. I've been saving all this wonderful mag info. Thanks guys!

Brendan b, snoblower??? i know you live in NY, but isnt it a little soon? LOL

Why is everyone Talking so loud?
rant.gif

Hey Kendall, if you are interested in getting some "hands-on" work with a K161-T engine, come on over for a visit. I have got one that is real, real tempermental to start! I would love to get it starting better than it does right now.
bash.gif

Scott S.,
Sounds like you'd better write down somewhere the size of that belt!
You wouldn't want to go through that hassle again......
crazy.gif

Ryan Wilke
thumbsup.gif

Ryan W, since your here, I hope; I have a question for you:
The engine in my 123 is painted black. I think a PO did it becasue the HP stickers on the gas tank are panited over, but Is there a way to confirm thatthis engine is orginal or do the serial and spec #'s prove it? Just thought Id ask.

Definatly not to soon to think snow in certain parts of the east. When my wife and I lived in Erie, PA we had a good snow on haloween one year. We had 6inches on the ground and snowing hard, after half a block we went back and got the 149 and the sled and pulled my wife's friends kids around for trick and treat that year. Cheers Mike

Good morning everyone.Is a 321 kohler a 14 hp?.Got this engine from a friend and it looks like it was set up to be stationary due to the onboard fuel tank and muffler.Thanks in advance.Keith W.

I keep saying "20 degrees colder and it would be snowing"! I could see it snowing early out where Brendan lives! We have already been getting frost and the way the weather has been I say snow in a week or so, not a huge amount but some. I'm debating putting the plow on the 106 and the 123, probably early next week.

Ryan I have that belt size burned into my memory for life! I'll wake up from my sleep when I'm in my 90's yelling, 75 1/2 inches!

170155.gif
(Fancy here this morning.) It's too early to be thinking snow. Otherwise I'll have to wear this again...

170156.jpg

when I help Dad do this...

170157.jpg

Right now it looks like more rain is headed this way. It has been misting all morning. Sooo.... we have to stay inside today.

Josh O.,

I'm no expert, but I'd agree: Usually, black paint indicates a Replacement/Service Use engine.

Yes, the Spec # tells us what was the intended use of the engine when it was built.

Regarding your 123 engine (model# K301AS; Spec# 4759B; Serial# C044546) the Spec# indicates it was intended for TRACTOR USE.

Although Your engine Serial# indicates a build date of 1967, which is the same build year as your 123 Cub, Aug, 1967 (Serial# 210295), that doesn't GUARANTEE it was the original engine to YOUR tractor. Your Cub may still have undergone an engine transplant early in its life.

Consider this senario: The original buyer of (now yours) 123 Cub brought his proud purchase home and promptly proceeded to cut the grass. Unfortunately, within the first hour of mowing, the oil pan drain plug became loose and it ran out all the oil and seized the engine. The sad owner promptly returned the wounded Cub to the dealer undercoated with oil-soaked grass chippings. The dealer promptly pulled out the seized engine and pulled an engine from out of another 123 the dealer had in the showroom. They gave the 2nd engine a quick squirt of black paint and then installed it into the comatose Cub to spring back to life & finish cutting the half-mowed yard the next day.

That is one example how you could have a 'replacement' engine but with a Spec # indicating FOR TRACTOR USE. The two engines would have Serial #'s fairly close, since they were at the same dealer at the same time and, thus, likely produced fairly close to each other. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel tank has been repainted by a previous owner, since the paint doesn't stay well on the tank over the likely countless fuel spills onto it. It sounds like someone has repainted (at least) the fuel tank where the HP stick is located. If/when you remove the engine shrouding or leaf screen, look for signs of yellow paint where the shrouding sections overlap. Your engine may have been repainted sometime ago or just the tank was repainted. I wouldn't think that a dealer would paint over the HP sticker, but who knows?

If only these ol' Cubs could talk,ay? Then we could simply ask them, "What's up with that, Ol' Boy?"
lol.gif

Ryan Wilke
bubbly.gif

Ryan: Nice story!
thumbsup_old.gif
How's about we send you serial #s of our tractors, a little background history, maybe a pic or 2, and you make up a story for each one?
biggrin.gif

Charlie: Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess BOMA is one that never made it this far East. Ol' Beave', here, didn't know FUBAR until he was in the Navy.
angel.gif

Dawn T.: Don's getting a diesel. Don's getting a diesel. Don's getting a diesel.
asthanos.gif

Brendan: GOOD QUOTE!
beerchug.gif

Josh...wouldn't be the first time we've had snow in October
thumbsup.gif

Might as well keep em comin
170161.jpg

170162.jpg

I mowed the yard with the 123 today! No thrown belts, no new swear words, nothing exciting happened. Today was the first day I have ever mowed with 2 Cubs! I didnt want the 106 getting jealous!!

Does anyone know if I can convert the mower deck on my 1650 to a mulching unit? If so, do you have information on the equipment needed?

Thanks

My 1250 will not move. I started it to mow and it will not move in forward or reverse. It has been awhile since I went through everything.

Aren't there a couple of valves I need to check?
I just can't remember.

Thomas L:
Pull the tunnel cover off and check the two release valves controlled by the lever pointed to in this pic.. Also, check that the roll pin in the hub driving the pump hasn't sheared, that you've got enough hytran in it and that the linkage from the Hydro control lever hasn't come apart. Also, make sure your hydro filter isn't 15-20 years old..
170168.jpg

Todd H:
Check parts numbers for the axles in the parts lookup.. Also, maybe that new forum can....oh, never mind.

TODD OSTIR - To mulch with Your 1650, mow in REVERSE. If You don;t want to do that, I've taken two boards, like a short length of 2X4 or 2X6 and nailed on another 1X6 or 2X6 and used a C-clamp to clamp it over the discharge chute to hold grass & leaves inside the deck to mulch them. Or I;ve used a piece of sheet metal about 8 to 10 inches square and bent a 90* angle in it and c-clamped it to the deck.

Years ago on the original CC,s and the cast iron ended decks IH included a block-off plate for leaf mulching. And what I described above is about what IH supplied.

Also GATOR Blades installed on your deck helps mulching ability also.

Latest posts

Back