• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 29, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, nice write up on repairing your snowthrower gearbox. Good to hear that it is back in operation.

Glad to see those pinion gears are machined. I was wondering about the powered statement. Mostly because I have seen a lot of these right angle boxes robbed from the rightful equipment and used on racing "lawn mowers". Which of course are more like a full on racing cart with a lawn mower body but front engine mount.

I have often considered making a 70/100 racer. Old school style.

Good looking gear box Dave, I have always admired your high level of detail and craftsmanship.

David K - your gearbox sure looks nice once you got it all done. I'm certain you checked the bearings before doing all this. I did wonder tho about the outer bearings. I made a comment earlier that the gearbox design leaves no way for grease/oil/lube to get to the outer bearings. I wondered if you noticed this when you had your shaft out? The outer bearings are only sealed on the outside but I can't see anyway for fresh grease/oil/lube to get to the inside of the outer bearing. Any thoughts or comments on this?

Harry,

That's the reason for the 90wt...get it flowing through the inner bearing to the outer!

Harry,

I had my QA gear box apart 10 years ago. The outer bearings were starting to run a little dry, but were still in decent condition. The inner bearings were in very good condition. The box had never been apart prior to this, this was on my Dad’s QA-36A that I got from him in 1993. He got it in 1972 and it was used in Western NYS (south of Buffalo) until 1998, so it has seen use that is above normal. I replaced all 4 bearings and used gear lube.

Jim

Morning Guys-

Thanks for the nice compliments - very much appreciated. And I thank all of you again for the assistance and suggestions. Shows how great this forum is in helping one another out in time of need.

Harry B-

The design of this gearbox is somewhat typical of a light to medium duty, non-commercial machine. My gearbox differs slightly from the diagram that Kraig posted, in that there are lip seals installed between the inner and outer bearings. These seals are pressed in from the outside of the housing and are located on the outer bearing bore with shaft seals facing inward. These effectively isolate the outer bearings from any lubricant, thus these bearings are grease packed and sealed both sides. This is an acceptable design (in my opinion) as sealed and grease lubed bearings can run many hours without servicing (example - your car's alternator bearing(s)). This design also provides a backup for sealing the lubricant in the gearbox. I only serviced the input side of my gearbox but found the outer bearing in excellent condition with the "feel" of ample grease still residing in the bearing. Inner bearing is lubricated by the gearbox lube and in my case, this bearing appeared fully serviceable. Thus, both bearings were re-used.

I think there were some subtile design changes during production of this gearbox. The fact that Kraig's post shows no oil seals indicates that maybe earlier boxes relied on the outer bearing seals for lubricant retention. These were probably grease-lubed boxes only. Oil seals were probably added later, most likely to prevent lubricant from weeping around the sealed bearings. Im just guessing here as I have no history in working on these things.

David, the cutaway drawing and text from the service manual was for the much older CW-36, which was originally designed for use with the 70/100 series. This would easily explain the different bearing setup.

Don T & Steve B + other knowledgeable Hydro forum members..........Per October 21st post, I have purchased a Sundstrand 15U unit from a surplus store. It is part number 90-1270, however the surplus unit from one of my 1450's is part number 90-1073. Despite input shaft differences, the units physically appear to be the same. Steve B. cited that the output pressure relief springs may be shimmed higher. Anybody know the distinct differences between these two units? I guess I could try e-mailing Sundstrand, which I think is now part of Hydro gear.

HI, Jeff B.

I'd say off hand the only difference is the shaft and yes it maybe shimmed higher which won't hurt. Sunstrand is no more. They became Sauer Sunstrand and then Sauer Danfoss and now Danfoss Power Solutions. Hydro Gear is located in Sullivan, Illinois and assembles the BDU21L and BDU10L Series. The 15 Series BDU15L has gone out of prduction however parts are still easily available through Danfoss Power Solutions Distributors or some parts through our sponsors above.

I'll e:mail Rob a contact that has all the information as to the exact diffrences. I'd just switch shafts and go from there.

Rob ... I'll need your e:mail address if you want a contact to help you distinguish what differences other than the shafts are on your newly acquired pump. Your profile doesn't have an e:mail address.

Latest posts

Back