• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel G - I agree with Paul R that it sure sounds like a battery that won't hold a charge. I think I'd move replacing the battery to the top of your list. Your battery maintainer might give you enough to get it started a few times, but if you use the tractor and have to stop and shut it off for some reason you very likely will not have enough battery to start it again. To avoid this I'd recommend replacing and getting the best battery you can for your money. Don't be afraid to shop around a little too. I'm not a fan of Wally Mart, but their top of the line Garden Tractor battery price is usually hard to find anyone else even close (last I checked it was $25.88). Make sure it's the top of the line tho - I think 350CA/275CCA, which is the minimum I'd use. They usually have one that is $2 less but alot less amps. NAPA has a good one but price varies, Sears has a good top of the line but so is the price. You can also check with the sponsors in those boxes above just not sure about shipping batteries. Some have a brand I don't exactly recall (maybe DEXT or something like that) but well known to them as the best you can get.

Don T - I can't see your gears 11 and 12 to tell much if anything. Item No. 6 is a coupling which I think could just be cleaned up and re-used if it's only rust you're worried about. It will be half submerged in oil/fluid once the box is refilled, and if I recall correct I think it may have a brass or bronze lining on the part that slides on the shaft so rust shouldn't be an issue, but with my memory you'll have to look.

Yeah I've checked spark at the end of the plug- how much should there be? It looked like it was sparking pretty well IMO.

Daniel G, I have a 129 that I replaced the engine in 1989. From day 1, it has been hard to start. I have rebuilt the carb, replaced points, plug, timing, all of which did no good whatsoever. It is still hard to start all the time and needs a boost in the winter. My other 4 cubs start easy anytime. I think some of them are born that way!! Good luck

I just did a search on hydrometers and found several for less than $10. I've always had one of those around and it eliminates the guesswork.Remember Christmas is just around the corner!

So basically the batt. is good enough to start in warm weather but not worth crud when it gets cold and needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Daniel G - it sounds to me like your battery is failing. It "was" good enough to start in warm weather, but "now" the cold weather is disclosing that it's failing and not holding a sufficient charge. I'm not a battery expert/guru but even tho you have the correct voltage you don't have sufficient amount of power to crank your Kohler. Now, it still could be something with your charging circuit but what you're describing is more typical of an old battery that is beginning to fail.

David G - my guess is you have an issue with the Kohler ACR (auto compression release). I agree they all start a bit differently, some require more choking than others, etc., but your 129 has a S/G that should be spinning it fast enough for almost instant starting if everything is correct. If yours is "sluggish" rolling over (seems like it's turning slowly) then I have a strong feeling there is something wrong with your little ACR wire. Some of the others on here have experience and discussed how it's set up and how to verify.

Daniel,
Hydros do tend to start harder than gear drive tractors, and Hy-Tran tends to thicken when cold. When snow is in the forecast, I put the trickle charger on, to make sure the battery is topped off and to provide a little heat. This will help it start. I would also run 5w30 in the crankcase in the winter.

Based on my experience with lawn and garden batteries, I suspect that manufacturers are playing fast and loose with the ratings,and I am lucky to get more than 2 seasons out of one. In the old days, a 350 CCA battery was considered adequate to start a small V8, and we had a 1970 Chrysler with a 383 that started on a 0 degree morning with a 350 CCA battery.

I took a flier on a used mobility scooter battery to power a battery powered tank sprayer. It has the same form factor as a L&G battery, but weighs almost twice as much. I have used it to run both my 129, and my Landlord DLX which has an 18 horsepower Vanguard, and it does well. They are expensive new, but for $20 it was a bargain.

Wondering what the differences in the Original from 1961 to 1962 and 1963 other than the slot to adjust the steering in the tower?

Bruce any pics of the battery set-up in the 129

I recommend this battery.
425 cranking amps. No problem turning my 20 HP Honda in my 782 in the winter 20 below. Just under $50.00. I guess Sears has a comparable model.

board-post.pl

4 years old and cranks great!
Shift.gif

Latest posts

Back