• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 23, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MARLIN - I was waiting for the last of the leaves to fall before the last mow. They're down now so I can go any time.

Think it was about ten yrs ago I finished fall yard work on Dec. 15th. That wouldn't have worked last year since we got 6-8 inches of wet snow Dec. 8th, or 9th that stuck around ALL winter.

Think the ONLY month I haven't mowed grass in is January. Couple yrs ago I fired up a Cubbie in Febuary to chew up some grass & leaves during a real mild winter just to say I'd mowed in Feb.

Is there a remedy or some kind of fix for stripped pan to block bolts? I've been meaning to ask this but just now remembered. I think there may be two stripped. I'm working with a K301 here. I've done so much work on this engine I just might use some JB Weld as a last resort. I had to remove the two "paper weight" gears.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne a guy here used set screws with nut and washers and welded them in the block. He said it worked fine but he had to use 2 pan gaskets.

Snow now that would be nice,12" would give me some to try out the 450
clappy.gif
. But all we get is rain and that just keeps me from getting my leaf and lawns cleaned up and the deck cleaned and undercoated and stored.I have four oil changes to do yet and some rain gutters to clean also.I wounder how much work it would be to install the deck I got the other day on my 149 and give that a go at the leaves. Spring I will get at it for sure.

Frank C

Hope you are getting rain also
216886.gif
216887.gif
216888.jpg

we have to make that box smaller
headphones.gif
. I`ll call later ,now off to take two dogs to the groomers
bash.gif

Morning Denny
216889.gif

Luther-

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean with set screws. I have thought of JBing some studs in the block. That may be what I end up doing. I have done so much to this engine to get it ready. I actually forgot about the stripped holes so now I have to deal with this problem with the engine hanging...in other words, working upside down. That ought to be fun.

WAYNE - I think the block casting is pretty thick around those pan bolt holes, I'd Heli-coil them. On other forums where this gets discussed I've heard of a brancd called "Kwik-Sert" I think it is that works better. All I've had experience with is Heli-coils used in an alum. K301 oil pan for the engine mount bolts. They worked fine for a few years but eventually they pulled out as well.

MORNING DON. Wrong color tractor.... But I like the t-shirt!
lol.gif

Wayne i think that is 3/8x16x2 set screws. Just be sure they aren't long enough to stick down below the pan base. They will have a hole for allen wrench for installing them. I like to use them in my differential cover. Makes installing gasket easier.

McGiver, good to see you post!!!!!

Wayne: I've used helicoils for stripped-out bolts holes in cast-iron auto engine blocks. They are easy, inexpensive, and will hold better than the original threads. There is plenty of metal around the holes in the block for helicoils. You buy a kit that will include everything you need except the drill bit. Don't try the JB Weld method. These engines mount to the frame through the pan and eventually the vibration will hog out the epoxy.

Wayne,
Studs are the best bet for your snafu, IMO... Try an auto parts store and ask for carburetor studs... LocTite make a reakky good thread restorer kit, it is made for the problem you describe... They advertised it by using it on a carb pad on a car engine intake, then they picked up the engine with a hoist plate mounted to the carb pad..

Wayne-
This may be WAY out there, but if there just isn't enough meat there to use studs or rethread, you could always try something like this as a last resort...

216906.jpg

I'm not suggesting this as a "correct" fix, but as a final "last resort" fix before tossing a good running engine into the dumpster.

Home of the Plow Special

Art A
I thought we were talking about the mounting bolts to install a K in the frame . I would just buy another base pan and would never throw a good K in the dumpster
1a_scratchhead.gif

Fill me In I was away on dog duity lol.
old.gif

Dog chains, electric cords, mats...all wound up in the snow machine. My story ...mowing in hwy. right of way ,in 1973, not far where Dennis F. now lives . I was mowing with 8' Mott flail & caught hold of a TV cable or phone 2 pair line layin' in the grass
thumbdown.gif
. I as remember, there was about a 5 gallon sized bundle of cable rapped around the rotor before I realized what was movein' in front of the tractor was not good! A Mess!! Later I learned to tie wire or cable to post & drive tractor ahead to unwind the mess. PWR

I stopped by to see a buddy's "Tiger Cub" a couple of weeks ago. I've been too busy to post a picture. He did a really good job on it. He found the 123 upside down in a dump. It doesn't have the correct seat or steering wheel, but still looks great.

I messed up on the picture. It's in the next post.

Don, I don't know Frank A.C. The cub belongs to a guy in Corydon, IN.

Latest posts

Back