• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 06, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eford

displayname
Earl Ford
Locomotiveman Tom, your (149) Tomcat looks awesome! I hope my cozy cab ends up half as nice as yours is now. It's in 3 pieces, minus the doors and back window, was sitting in woods for somewhere around 20 years, upside down. It will eventually end up on a 1450, came from a 1650.
greenthumb.gif

This weekend will be nice here, hmm, cub time!

Attachments

• greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 123
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 118
Can a qa thrower be modified with a qa-a mounting plate to be used on a wide frame? I think I know the answer but want to be sure. Thanks

Jason H.
Yep, sure can.
It's been done many times.
I think if you do a search in the vault, you'll come up with many pics and details.
thumbsup_old.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 109
Jason H.
If you have any problems, let us know and we'll steer you in the right direction, or something close to it.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 117
Here's a test post of Tom & Greg with TOMCAT

300266.jpg

Attachments

• 300266.jpg
    300266.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 300266.jpg
    300266.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 151
nice,, now who posted it Tom or Greg? lol

Greg got me straightened out. Here is a 'message from Bud's grave'.It ain't gonna get painted over.

300278.jpg

Attachments

• 300278.jpg
    300278.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 300278.jpg
    300278.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 129
I was out sitting on my ih cub cadet listening to it run,,,,
knock,knock
who's there,
Grena,
Grena who,
Grenade gears need to go

sorry.gif

Attachments

• sorry.gif
    sorry.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 116
  • sorry.gif
    sorry.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 114
My son ran across this modified 149 with a 6 cylinder Cummins Turbo Diesel. He didn't send me any details. It does have a 149 decal on the side of the dash. I don't know if he kept the original Hydro or not. Anyone seen this before?
300303.jpg

Attachments

• 300303.jpg
    300303.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 121
  • 300303.jpg
    300303.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 116
Like a a Cadillac ElDorado......20 feet of hood!!!!!

...But with a Kubota D600 sized radiator........bet it get's hot it you run it long!!!!!!

Steve Mr. Plow - ya I agree and it gives it that classic look. In the pic it's sitting in what appears to be an area of new construction. You can see a couple pickup trucks, a water heater tank, an open staircase and wall studs. Seems odd for this tractor to be in a pic with those things around it.

TOMCAT is fit as a fiddle with a few minor battle scars. What do Teflon tape feathers on Hydro's Allen Head threads indicate. Born with em' or subsequent to Hydro surgery? Tom

300313.jpg

Attachments

• 300313.jpg
    300313.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 300313.jpg
    300313.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 120
Not born with them, some kinda surgury maybe exploritory
1a_scratchhead.gif

Plus that is one very clear hydro

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 124
Harry,

That 149 is probably sitting in the owners still being built shop.

It's got Pro Pulling tires on the rear, so I bet it's for shows. But unless it's been upgraded to Dart reared parts I'll bet it doesn't get much off idle.

And even then I bet it starts to cook like Steve said.

Waste of a good chassis there. And that's coming from a puller.

Tom S - My guess is that Bud probably had a hydro leak and used the Teflon tape to ensure none of those plugs were contributing to the leak while he worked to isolate its source.

Or sumthin' like that...

Like Jeff said, that's a mighty clean hydro - makes me feel pretty ashamed of the status of mine!

I have a 6BT in my 97 Ram 2500. It came with a Dana 80 rear axle because of the torque that Cummins develops. A CC hydro wouldn't stand a chance with that engine in front of it.

Nic and Bob - I also noticed that Turbo 149 still had the PTO engagement lever on the side of the dash, and I wondered what he might use it for.

Jeff and Greg - I believe Tom S gave TOMCAT a power wash last week which is why the hydro pump and everything else looks so clean.

Tom S - the Hydro pump was factory mounted to the rearend with an "infamous" cork gasket, well known to be the source of these units marking their spot when not in use. The replacement gasket was updated to an improved material some time ago. It used to cost $3 in the 1990's and more recent was up to $6 dollars, but required about 3 to 4 hours to actually replace it (at least the 1st time you do one unless you have the info from the FAQs). A less frequent leak can come from one of the relief valves with the little button sticking up in your pic (the later relief valves in the Quiet Line series were auto release which fixed the problem of having sticky buttons). According to the Service Manual these valves are not rebuildable (but it's known a very competent machinist can rework them). I really agree with Greg L and suspect whoever worked the pump over wanted to make sure there was no future source of any leak before buttoning the thing up again.

Latest posts

Back