• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 02, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could somebody tell me the length of the brake rod for a 128?
32038.jpg
32037.jpg

I sent him a msg. asking him if the women in the pic was included in the auction and how much extra for shipping. Have not received a reply. My wife would not have let me keep her anyways.

RICHARD - I've never seen lack of alignment of the cutting edges to the extent like Your photo's show. I bet it has something to do with the flutes cut into the back of the Gator. I've never seen blades stamped out before but I imagine they stamp them out in one hit from strip stock as wide as the blade is long, Punch the center hole and bend the wing up on back all in one hit. The cutting edge is probably milled in a secondary operation. I seem to remember seeing machining marks on new blades before. The hard-coating is also a secondary operation, probably applied with plasma spray welding. There's places that specialize in knife & blade manufacturing, When the quantity is there the process gets really automated.

Todd C. -

You dawg! Thanks for playing along
lol.gif

Charlie/Bryan-

I saw the obvious copied text from ihcubcadet.com, but %$^* internet explorer wouldn't display any of the pictures.
coffee.gif

This blade discussion is really interesting.

As I was looking at Richard's photos, I had a thought. With anything but a flat blade, how much does the blade distort when spinning. If you look at an airplane prop, as the pitch is increased, the blade distorts and it is designed to do so. Do you suppose that with mower blades with the "wing" they design in a little bend so that when spinning at speed they pull themselves straight? Even if that were the case, I would expect the bend to be the same for each side of the blade, which clearly isn't the case in Richard's pictures.

Richard, I am not poking or stirring here. But I am now curious about whether blade designers design a distortion factor into the profile or not.

Hank,

I'm gonna say no, they don't. The blades on a deck do spin fast and move air, but nowhere near the volume of air a prop does. The cutting load is much higher than any air loading the blades would see and a mower blade is very stiff for it's length, considering what it's made of. Considering how blades are made, and what they do and how much they cost, I'd say Richard has identified a pi$$ poor quality control process, no more, no less.

That is taking an interetsing perspective on the issue though!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Another thought:

I'm fairly certain that the blades are heat treated in some form or another post-pressing.....heat distortion, especially after cold working steel (pressing) can cause some moving around to occur.

(Message edited by sblunier on November 03, 2005)

Steve --

You must be right. They are such heavy guage steel that it would probably take way more pressure to get them to flex.

Richard, do you notice any less vibration when the blades are true?

Hank,

Length is the big factor. If they were 3 or 4 times longer, and made of the same material (similar to a prop....long slender lengths), then I could see where the wing loading could be an issue, but 44" and 50" blades are short and stiff....(idiot proof, for that neighbor who can't figure out that you can mow off that old concrete post/tree root/gravel shoulder/pipe/water valve/etc.)

Steve -- I bet there is alot af liability stuff factored into the design--and the price too probably. It would be a shame to take a 36-inch damascus-steel blade and chop at the curb, and dangerous too I bet.
biggrin.gif

That's still probably safer than firing a damascus steel double 12 gauge though!!!!!! (But aren't those pretty!!!)

Ya know there's something nice about getting the snow crew ready for winter in your shorts and a t-shirt!
I'm ready now though.
1450-Blade
149-Thrower/Blower
1200-Rear Blade
32044.jpg

BRING ON THE SNOW!
biggrin.gif

Steve -- never saw one of those guns up close, as in I never got to hold one, but if pictures do them any justice wow. I have a little Damascus blade somewhere. Found it at Maxwell Street Market when it was real back in the '70s. Paid like 50 cents for it. Hmmm i wonder what unpacked moving box that is in.

Charlie -- nice looking crew. You should come here and kick some differentials on the Steiners they run here..and some other motley ZTs too.

Can't get used to this getting dark between 4:30 and 5:00. Makes me thirsty and hungry.

Well, seems the moron took the graphics down but left the misappropriated text up there. A*****e!!!

I found another use for my one arm loader!

My dad lost an axle last night. I stopped by tonight to help get it in the garage. I stopped half way there and told him I needed some pictures before I would push it all of the way into the garage.
proud.gif

Duals must be hard on axles.
thumbdown.gif

32058.jpg

32059.jpg

32060.jpg

32061.jpg

Back