• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 01, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nic I have plowed a lot of snow with both a gear drive and a hydro,, now all I own is hydros, plowing snow is easier with my hydros..and we get alot of snow each year.

but to each their own..John you need more hydros

heres my winter hydro crew
264353.jpg

Harry, Nic,
I also disagree with part of that. Park a hydro on a hill, engine off, and if the brake is not locked it will roll once the pressure bleeds off wether it has auto relief valves or manual valves (manual valves will take longer)

I like both myself and found both to do just about anything I ask. I have found that when tilling with the 1650 I have to stay on top of the shifter from the tiller pushing, especially when it's first dropped. I haven't experienced tilling with a gear drive but it's coming soon. It seems to me a gear drive wouldn't need any constant speed care like the 1650. I have gotten use to reaching over with my left hand working the hydraulic lever getting started down a row because my right has to remain on the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this as well???

I hope to soon have a nf set up with hydraulic lift, a creeper, and plenty of weight. It will then be set up with a tiller and I'm really looking forward to getting it in the garden.

Here's my take on gear driven snow machines. I grew up moving snow with a Farmall H and a 3 pt rear mounted blade. I quickly ran out of hands when pulling the snow forward: clutching/braking/hold brake/shift outta gear/release clutch/lift blade (did not have live hydraulics)/clutch(still holding brake, drive way is on a hill) shift into gear/release clutch& brake, roll in reverse. I got so good at this that under the steering wheel it looked like a flurry of hands and feet moving. Now moving snow with my 147 all I have to do is lift the blade and reverse with the hydro lever, no feet required. I enjoy moving snow with the H as well as I do with the Cub Cadet for different reasons.

You all have had all the fun cleaning snow with your gear drives. This winter I plan to use the 102 and a blade after having used my 149 and 1512 with a blade. The 1512 blade has power angle and man that is a great option .I hate to get off and dig for the trip lever to move the blade. Gets my hands a wet and cold. I might even try a IH single stage on a 122 and a 450 on my 1512 just to see what I think would be the best. The IH snow thrower does have the speed up pulley .I might do that just to have the video on file for later years.Lately I have been using a gear drive some but i`am not convinced that they are any better or easier to use. I do think I have better speed control with a std than a hydro. ( stirring the pot over here).
old.gif

Daniel Glinski

This goes back a few years. I had a job hauling bag feed to local farms. five days a week I would load 14 ton of feed some 50 lb bags and most 100 lb bags . The truck was a (corn binder) we called it here ; it had a small 8 cylinder (342 ? ) and a five and four trans. The five speed was a breeze to shift but the 4 speed was a bitch. I would put my arm down trough the steering wheel and use both hands to shift using my arm though the wheel to keep the truck on the road.that truck had a fixed what we call a trailing axle .I got real use to handling two 100 lb bags of dairy ration one on each shoulder.It got real BUSY when the truck loaded came up any small incline. because if you missed a shift on the four speed side you had to stop and start over. I bet Denny know what I `am saying lol.

O.K. where's its beauty?
The Teal Blue seat trim? The headlights? The creeper gear? That's all I see!

264362.jpg

264363.jpg

264364.jpg

The owner said his grandkids had worn it out. The grandkid I saw was washing his own pickup. I think this 122 sat on a rockpile after they wore it out. It looks like it was hit with a loader during snow removal because - - it was.
The engine turned over from the key but no spark or compression. Just what I wanted - a K321 to rebuild this winter.
happy.gif

Looks like the points cover is salvageable.
lurking.gif

WOW... to listen to some of your guys it's surprising we EVER got any field work done using our gear drive farm tractors! How on earth did we ever find enough hands and feet to down-shift the Torque-Amplifier, steer the tractor, and raise/lower whatever implement we were pulling/using. And GOSH... we even used a Gear Drive tractor on the loader! How did we EVER survive?!?! The addition of the M&W live hyd on the M really improved loader performance, and was also standard on the Super H, Super M-TA & 450. BIG improvement over the non-live belly pump on the older straight M's & H's.

DON T. - Yes, I spent a couple summers hauling ready-mix cement in trucks with a 5+4 transmission. The trucks were old, way too much play in the steering so I never used the arm-through the wheel and shifted both main & aux. box at the same time, always shifted one, then the other box/lever. The mixer trucks had a little more HP than an IH 345 gas V8, but not much more, most of those old mixers had 165 HP Cummins 6's, two had 185's, same engine with a turbo. Loaded they grossed just over 50,000#, their licensed maximum weight, but the mixers could hold an extra yard or two of concrete, so they could weigh close to 60,000# if they wanted to. Yep, some hills were steep enough you lost speed going up them so fast you couldn't drop gears fast enough.

I did drive a feed truck for a week or so one X-mas break, BULK feed, no bags. Not near as much work to unload.

Frank..
I see a nice set up front,Seems like those 122's always come with a creeper when I find them.I am sure you will get get it running and driving in no time,

Don T...
you have a potty mouth in your last post,or is that potty fingers from typing them...

Here is my latest,I got a update on my tetanus shot.

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back