• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 25, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All.

Lonnie- Some food for thought about your shanks. I bought a CC-1000 cultivator a few years ago (an old white one). It was missing a two of the shanks, so I ordered the new style and found out they are different. They are a bit wider and also the overall height is almost a 1/2" shorter. I got by by shimming them with some 1/2" flat washers to take care of the height issue and mounted them as the front two shanks so the width difference wasn't as noticable.

Kent

Kent >
Where the new ones you ordered like the ones for the newer style sleeve hitch or are they actually the C shaped ones.
I know the sleeve hitch ones are completely the wrong style, and I have a complete extra set of them that I hope to make a sod ripper out of someday.

thanks
happy.gif
now all i have to do is get axles, almost a whole new engine, a seat, a hood, 4 wheels, a steering wheel...maybe ill just keep it for parts until i can find one in better shape
lol.gif

Hi Lonnie. They were for the 3pt cultivator as pictures on Brinlys web site. Anyway, I lied to you a bit, as I put the new shanks on as the second ones back from the front on each side (so they are under the hitch). As you look at this picture they are the 3rd ones in from each side, with the others being the original ones.

28369.jpg

I'll be honest, I have only used this cultivator a couple of times, as I prefer my CC-525 sleeve hitch cultivator with the regular winged sweeps to cultivate my garden.

Kent

Kent >
That is the same type cultivator I have, I see the new ones are a bit wider but that will not matter to me, just as long as I can get enough to replace the streached out one I have now.
I hope Brinly will once again stock them so I can order some replacements.
I will call them again tomrrow and see.

Damnit Bryan - I hate when you make me look stupid
happy.gif

Never thought of that. Good point. I'll crawl back into my hole now.
coffee.gif

ROLAND BEDELL - The red coating You see on the inside of all of IH's castings is just a high solids red oxide primer. I always thought Glyptal had a hard shiny surface and allowed oil to drain back off the surfaces quickly. IH's foundry's all sealed the castings, normally used outside painting suppliers for that operation. It sealed porosity in the castings, and covered up any sand that may have adhered to the castings, but the primary reason IH did that, at least at FARMALL where I worked was so they could store iron castings outside instead of taking up valuable inside storage space. Kept them from rusting, which on the big farm tractors which used the rearend housing for a hydraulic reservoir, and like on CC Hydro's where clean transmission fluid was absolutely necessary there was no chance of rust contaminating the oil. Does make for a nice looking assembly when You pop the rear cover off a CC for a fluid change.
Forgings were stored inside so they were never coated. Each foundry had their own color of primer.... The Foundry Farmall used for wide front axle castings after about mid-November 1976 located over in SILVIS, IL. had a kinda sickly GREEN shade to them..... Also had a little emblem "JD" on them.... ;-)

Rick M:

I'd hardly call your thoughts on that hitch anything close to "stupid". Having a hitch that stout could have slight advantages and sure looks good. Perhaps you could look at modifying the mounting in some way to distribute some of the load to the frame also. It would take some effort to determine exactly how strong to build a hitch that would give before a rear end.

When I see several sets of wheel weights stressing an axle...and front end loaders/backhoes on Cubs...building a slightly beefier hitch shouldn't scare ya ;)

I was mostly being silly, but Bryan brought up a valid point.

I sat down last night looking at it seriously. Even to the point of thinking about shear pins in the strategic places.

Then I laughed when I thought about pulling a plow and having it hit something and the pins do their job... wondering how long it would take some folks to realize the plow's not behind them made me giggle.

(Message edited by rmunday on May 27, 2005)

Rick,

Ever have a "spring trip" hitch on an old 2 bottom plow let go on you?????......It doesn't take long to figure out what happened!!!!!!

The BIG question usually is, "Can I get the clutch in fast enough to keep from breaking the hyd. lines????" (You could have played fiddle on the ones I S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D......)
happy.gif
happy.gif

(Message edited by sblunier on May 27, 2005)

This is a bit off topic but I've noticed that my 1250 doesn't cut the grass very nicely. Every now and then I get a dandilion or a patch of grass that fails to cut. I have to go over it again to get it to cut smooth. I'm sure the blades are worn, I sharpened them at the beginning of the season, but I had a lot of twigs in the yard. Also I need to grease her up good, but I was wondering if you guys had any secret tricks for getting these cubs to cut the best they can possibly cut. I need to level the deck, and eventually I want to put the guide wheels on it and go through all the bearings and everything to make sure its all solid, probably in the summer when the grass isn't growin as fast or maybe over the winter.

Also I thought I would ask, anyone know where a guy could find a set of tires like the ones on the back of the cubette? I'd like to build either a 100 or an original and set it up for lawn care.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck,

Check out FAQ #15........should be similar to the answer you got over on the other forum......

clappy.gif
haha! True enough Steve!

I "lost" a 10KW generator twinset trailer once in the Army. The only thing holding it on was the air hoses and one chain! I was amazed how strong the air hose and its coupling was (the chain had more play than the air hose). Damn pintle broke off the truck and was still in the ring on the trailer.

Mr. Plow

Yeah, you caught me, I just thought that maybe someone over here might have something more to add. I wasn't exactly asking about leveling the deck though, I was wondering if there was something that you guys did that improved the cutting action of the deck other than leveling it. I heard something about smaller pulleys or something? I have a 44A deck that is in pretty good shape, but leaves tufts of uncut grass from time to time. I put a new blet from the motor to the deck, but I haven't changed the belt on the deck, maybe I should take it apart and check it out.

Thanks,
Chuck

You can install the late production 4-1/2" center pulley on your 44A to up the deck speed some.....it does help.

Gators and a good level job should make a marked difference.

Chuck,

Like Steve said "Gators" and make sure your engine is running at correct RPM too. As I remember, 3400-3600 RPM.

Chuck, could it be as easy as worn blades and possibly mowing to fast for the worn blades? You should be able to get a great cut without having to speed up the rpm's of the blades.

Adrian,

GREAT comes with Gators and blade tip speed, "very good" comes with std. pulley and Gators, "good" is IH blades on a stock, but well tuned deck.

Not being arguementative, BUT I have been through all three steps, as have many others on here, to a person I would bet they agree with my above assessment. A well tuned "hot" deck with nice sharp Gators is a joy to behold!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Well like I said, I did sharpen the blades at the beginning of the season, but I have a lot of mature trees in the yard (12 large oaks and about 4 good sized shag bark hickory trees) so there was a lot of branch and twig debris that probably dulled those blades up instantly, so yes, they are probably worn pretty bad. I just haven't ordered the new gators yet, but I know I was crawling the last time I mowed and it was doing ok, but like I said it would leave some spots once in a while, maybe every other pass or so. You are right though, probably just the blades. The deck isn't exactly level either, I know I need to adress the situation, but I just find it hard to get time in to do everything around the house that needs getting done. Now the wife is on me about the kitchen floor, Arg! The sad thing is that I've been working on the yard solid for the last few weeks, trimming trees, cutting down weed trees that grew in the flower beds that no one ever removed, mowing the lawn, stacking fire wood... etc. And she tells me she doesn't see any difference. Its a real blow, you know? Is it just my wife, or do women genuinly not really pay attention to the yard? I was going to get to the kitchen floor, honestly I was, I just figured I work in the yard while the weather was good, but I think that I'm going to be putting a floor in the kitchen next.

Thanks again guys,
Chuck

Chuck

Latest posts

Back