Archive through May 24, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Frank C I have been looking for the Hydraulic lift lever upgrade: I looked at ccs and did not fine it. Do you or Kraig know where they can be bought. My 149 has a bent nail in it now and has a lot of slop in the handle. Thanks Don T
old.gif

Kendell: I haven't found anyone with a Cub Cadet in the Netherlands yet...

I've taken of the starter and will have a look at it tomorrow... hopefully I can find it myself, although starters and alternators are not really my thing...

Don T. dont forget to e-mail our suppliers directly and ask if they got a xxxxxx that you need. I suspect there is stuff sitting in lofts somewhere that isn't practical to list on web pages.

Frank, thanks for the picture. It looks to me like you must have to drill the hole out larger in the lever shaft. Do you by any chance know what size bolt that is that goes through the shaft?

Got in a lazy mood today, and decided to carry the weekwacker to the driveway entrance with the Cub. Did my business with the weedwacker, then found out that the battery, which was already on its last legs, decided to die after only a few seconds of cranking. "Rescued" it with the truck, which had the replacement battery which I had already purchased waiting in the tool box. Voltage seems a little low, around 12.8 to 13.2 volts. Looks like I'll have to play with the voltage regulator a bit.

Hi everyone I have a cub 109 think it is around 1971. Looking fo rhelp on how to take the clutch off the front and where to find a new one. Thanks Brian

Brian, there are 6 set screws you need to take out of it. Its in the FAQ section you should check that out.

Just looked on Craigslist, there is a local guy selling a junker 1650 for parts. No motor, no wheels, though they show it as a roller in the photos. Was thinking of picking it up for the ported hydro pump and the lift cylinder to upgrade the setup on the 129. Are the parts similar enough to make it a bolt-in upgrade, or will I need to make major modifications to make it work? I don't really have much direct experience with the QL series tractors, I know the engines use a different starter and are set up differently, use isolation mounts etc.

I half expect to have to split the tractor, it might be just as easy to swap the whole hydro pump/transaxle assembly into the 129, or make the 1650 into a 1250, depending on the condition of the pieces.

Bruce,

Yes, adding 1650 hyds to a 129 is basically a bolt in deal, done it myself several times. Only "custom" part is adding a lever support to the inside of the 129 pedestal, and that is easily done with a small 3/16" thick piece of flat steel and a 1/4" bolt or 2.

Go for it if the price is right, especially for the tiller.

Allen Schumacher (Aschumacher)
Well i had hopes that someone who sells the Mod or knows who does would let me know.I have had no luck asking where to buy 1 so i think i have to have a parts tractor.
The box for Kirk Engines INC don`t work for me here I just get a dead link and not even email address to ask for the parts i need. If I were selling anything i would include the email address on the tab so at least a customer could send a note and ask.(phone numbers work also)I had my say and i `am not trying to offend just a thought. my .02 Later Don T
1a_scratchhead.gif

hi i just got done restoring my cub and i havent really cut the lawn with it before i restored it. i was cutting my lawn and it seems like there is not alot of power when i engage the ptofor my deck and when i drive it while i am cutting it seems to bog down a little when i am going up a slight hill and when it levels out it speeds back up again and im not sure if thats how they run normally or not. now i havent got a new air filter yet, i ordered one yesterday and the engine runs very good. i am not sure of the carb settings but i tuned it with my ears, and i set the points at .020 and i didnt use a timing light . any suggestions

Nathan,

Check and make sure it's running at 3600rpm, get a vibra tach from your local small engine dealer if necessary.

You probebly have the carb adjusted lean, fatten it up on the main jet about 1/4 to 1/2 richer and see what happens.

Also check the points with a light, make sure you don't have it retarded.

Steve

I picked up a K301 for the 129 today. Just thought I'd go and scrape the crud from the frame before installing and look at what I found. Mr. Donald Tanner has a sig that reads "one step forward two steps backwards" He must know my 129.

152204.jpg

Hi all, tech question, I have a 128 with a bad engine and a good engine out of a 124. The engine swap is easy but what about the pto clutch, they appear similar but the front engament button/plate looks different. Can I make that work, or best to switch out the entire clutch assembly? Thanks in advance.

Robert Hickey (Rhickey)
I`am have an issue with this confuser
crash.gif
, it has a mind of its own. thanks for the email address. Just what i needed.
(Just hit Kirk engines from the Saint John area, worked for me. ) nice to see a Cub guy that is in Canada. If you need help email me.
Richard Palmer (Rpalmer)
I have 8 Cubs here and the list gets longer for the things that i have to do to get them back where they can be depended on when i need them.
I plowed some sod last week and did a fair job i think and had a great time . (The 1 step forward 2 back) comes form have 8 Cubs and so little time to work on them.In the am i will be installing a new wire set in the 147 because it doesn`t charge much and the wires are in bad shape. i have replaced the coil,points, condenser,plug, and a new Carb so the wires will be next.I`ll post a pic
after i have installed them. I think i will soon have to sell at least 1/2 of them so i don`t spend all my time on Cubs. Have a great Day. Later Don T

old.gif
thumbsup_old.gif

Ray Van Mersbergen (Rvanmersbergen)
(Hi all, tech question, I have a 128 with a bad engine and a good engine out of a 124. The engine swap is easy but what about the pto clutch, they appear similar but the front engament button/plate looks different)
I have a 129 here and the clutch for the pto is different (brake style)but even the brake style can be put on another style pto with just changing out the center button. But to do this you would have to take the pto apart and reset it up to work. Good luck and i hope i did not confuse you on this. Later Don T
thumbsup_old.gif

Ray V:
The PTO clutch rockshaft assembly is a different part number on the 124, but if the wear button lines up with the thrust button, they all work the same.. why change it if everything lines up and nothing is an interference fit ?? Just put the recommended clearance between the buttons with the PTO disengaged and everything should work.

Richard Palmer (Rpalmer) is that a bushing for the axle pin? Looks like a bushing.is this were it goes? i have did a mod here on my 129 so the axle won`t have so much slop. This also shows the brake style pto.
152207.jpg

i Did pin it and cut off the nut after i had it back in place. Later Don T

Nathan,

If Steve's suggestions don't work try adjusting the governor to be more sensitive.

Latest posts

Back