Archive through May 23, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Im sure you will be hearing a lot from me in the future. This is all new to me. Thanks again for the help.

Well Gang, the "bolts being too long " theory is out the window cuz the holes in the block are all right around 1.970" deep. With the gasket on the head and using the original thick flat washers and bolts stuck through the holes, there is only 1/2" of threads showing through. The bosses on the head are all the same thickness also.

These are the original "Rockford" grade 8 bolts that were in the motor when I 1st tore it down for the rebuild last summer. Matbe they are not original to the motor??? and TOO SHORT???, I do not know, but we only had to go ,010 over so this was the 1st time this engine had been majored with new piston and rod although It may have been apart in the past for head work. The bolts are all 1.5" long with the exception of the one that is 1.75" wich goes on the right side outer and holds the "L" bracket for the coil mount.

The new bolts I bought all screw in easily by hand. At this point, I am wondering if maybe I should get 2" bolts. Ace did not have 1/75" bolts on hand, I would probably have to "special order" them I suppose.

I'm going to pull the head off a 301 I have here on the floor and see how long they are. I thought parts lookup would give the lengths of these....not!

Thanks for the input guys!

David S - hold your horses - I checked my Cub Cadet TC-157 Parts Catalog (paper version) and looked under a Model 1200 with a K301AQS engine. The head bolts are listed as 3/8-16 x 1 1/2 Qty 7, and 3/8-16 x 1 3/4 Qty 1, all Grade 8. So you have the correct bolts. They show Qty 1 Stud 3/8-16 but no length and also show 1 spacer and 11 washers.

Since you have the correct bolts lets see what others have to say about your problem. I'm wondering if your torque wrench is accurate? Also, did you torque, run 20 min., cool 30 min., re-torque? (The first time I had an engine rebuilt I forgot myself - and ended up discovering the bolts were not even finger tight). Also, are you using a good quality head gasket? I've heard people have problems with the aftermarket gaskets. Best to get an actual Kohler gasket.

David Schwandt
On my 125 rebuild I used grade 8 full thread 4" long stock . I cut to length and used a washer and nut on every stud and made up spacers for the engine tin and used nuts and washers to hold the tin on. I did run the engine and torque the nuts before I installed the tin. This might not be the correct way but I did not like the idea off spacers and tin and then nuts at the top of the studs I made . for spacers I used round stock and drill out so they would slide over my studs. Works good so far.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday, taking time to spend with family and friends and remember those that helped give us the freedom that we can so easily take for granted.

I am hoping someone on here can help me out. The pedal return spring on my 108 is shot. Or I guess I should say that the previous owner had installed a return spring that was not correct and so weak that it does not hold the pedal up. My question is if anyone on here has found a suitable replacement for this spring at the local or big box hardware stores? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks David. Yes, I already had the part number. I am just being impatient as I don't have time to get one shipped to me (before I return to work on Tuesday) and my local cub dealer doesn't have one in stock. I was hoping that someone had used one that they purchased at a Home Depot or the like. No big deal. I have a lot of other maintenance I can do in the meantime.
err.gif

Don, on an AQS there is only 1 spacer and it goes on the stud. Looks like the 1.5" bolts are correct also,

Harry: Yes, I used a new Kohler head gasket..and did the torque...run...and re-torque routine, adding another 5#'s the last time for good measure....I'dunno....bout to give up!!! Didn't know one week could have so darn many Mondays!!!

David S.
Kohler head gaskets have a rolled edge all the way around the inner hole so don't use one that doesn't have it.I have seen some china gaskets that don't have it and they last about an hour.

Latest posts

Back