• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 20, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a good day for the tractors to get acquainted.
152066.jpg

Dennis I rebuilt a K301 for the 125 and that is pretty much what it cost me. I had the crank chromed because it was to far goon but i think it is better then new now. oh that price is Canadian. I guess over all it was a little over a 1000.$ Me wife doesn't read the forum stuff.

I just started a new thread in the Sandbox forum with high resolution versions of the photos that Paul Bell recently posted. CAUTION they are larger files than are normally posted here so if you are on dialup you may want to avoid clicking HERE

Hi all! I haven't been online in a few days' been busy plowing and mowing with my "O". I noticed that there was a discion about mounting a stump grinder on a cub a couple days ago. I used to work for a woodchiper factory a few years ago, so I thought I'd put in my 2c. The smallest stump grinder they made had a 16 inch cutting head and needed a 35hp Cat deasil to run the hyd. pump, to power the grinder. I wonder if some one ran a hyd. pump off the rear PTO of a cub, would it have enough power to do the job?
just my 2c.

KENDELL - O-K, I broke it....So shoot Me!
bazooka.gif
I was really good at My last job at keeping the IT Guys busy too. Ohhh, and about adding hyd. lift to Your 129, Good idea, I wanted the aux. remotes on the 982 and didn't even have anything to use with them till a year ago, now I use my hyd. dump cart ALL the time on it.

FRANK - clutch plates, hate to say this but I think I'd take the clutch & driveshaft out and polish the shaft where the clutch plate has to slide with fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc., then a thing film of grease, and reassemble so it slides on smoothly. I wouldn't ream the clutch plate bore, You'd probably ream about 10 years of useful life out of the clutch plate. I'd make sure there's no burrs in the bore and everything is smooth.

MIKE M. - I've dealt with LOTS of plating shops and machine shops at work, even a couple forging shops and a dedicated crankshaft machine shop. They had the honor of making the crankshaft for the turbocharged Buick V-6 that ran in the Indy 500 about 20-30 yrs ago.
I've heard horror stories about chrome plating flaking or pealing off crackshafts due to stress. The parent metal flexes, chrome flakes off, wipes the bearings out in a heartbeat. Also chrome plating causes hydrogen embrittlement, read about that 40 yrs ago in Hot Rod mag., but funny thing "BAKING" the part in an oven drives off the hydrogen. To do chroming right You have to grind the part undersize, mask off what doesn't need chrome, then plate oversize, then grind to finish size. And to get that much chrome built up it takes a LOT of time in the tank. Company I used to deal with on chrome plating could plate the INSIDE of tubes up to forty feet long. Plating the outside of stuff is easy compared to that.
I will say that a few thousands thickness of chrome does make an AWESOME bearing surface, smooth, VERY hard, and if You look at it under High magnification, it's porous, Lots of holes to store lubricating oil!

Frank,
I would make sure everything with your clutch moves properly. The grease is not a band-aid, nor a permanent solution as it really has no business being near the pressure plate. However, a small dab will often cure a little sticking on a fresh set-up.
Reaming should not be necessary if your drive shaft is .625" dia. Maybe a little bit of filing off burrs and some emery cloth would do it.

Kraig: Is it true that Charlie's so far north that UPS sends FEDEX to pick up his shipments???

Dennis: The 129 / 149 project will come later in the summer. I'm kinda of torn on which way to go - my head sez build one out of two, my heart sez "what - only two Cubs???".. I'm "finishing" a Vanguard based Cushman for the Cushman Nationals at Lowes in Charlotte next month. (3year project, so far, gotta get one done before the next project starts).

Frank: Ya never told us why that combustion chamber looked like it had been on 80% nitro...

Charlie: You getting 24 hour daylight up there yet?

Good morning, all. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend.
Kendell: I'm just using Shell gas/MMO. The points are set at .020. When I took the head off the bolts broke loose at 5-10ft/lbs, which might have had something to do with it. I've been noticing a spark knock - should've checked it out sooner, huh?
I took a road trip yesterday to visit friends 220 miles South of here. Only Cub I saw for sale was a 127 at a small engine repair shop. He wanted $1350 for it! Oh, it had a snowthrower and mower deck, too. I should take a few down to sell to him!
coffee.gif

Turn the page.
clappy.gif

Back