Archive through May 18, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Scott:

239188.jpg

Frusteration:
239190.jpg

Thanks ,Kraig, I'm getting there! Printed out your instructions. Forgot to do the "select" thing. 12 printed pages later...
More 125 pics to follow
happy.gif

Frank, that's a bit on the small size... Set the size to 640 pixels wide and see how the file size is.

Kraig, your advice is invaluable, and tomorrow I'll have pics to prove it - not just of 1 but of 2 125's. JackieO has the spring assist and I tried her with the rock rake today. Sure made me appreciate the 149 w/hydraulics!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Kraig thanks for posting the picture. I see something is covering the 3 balls, but it would be nicer to see how it operates. I'd also think its spring loaded. Hopefully someone with a good working PTO can chime in with some more pictures.

Rob, the collar is spring loaded. That photo is of my parent's old 2072, that is now owned by Art Aytay. Hopefully he'll see these posts and take some showing how the collar moves. Oddly, the Installation Manual and Operator's Manual for the PTO do not show the collar in detail or explain it's operation.

Frank,
happy.gif

Air cleaner housings-
For the last month or so where I've been actually using (and abusing) my 169, I've been pretty frustrated at the air cleaner housing arrangement. I know it was the evolution of the design and pre-Quiet Line series that gave the 169 the "quiet" style of air cleaner with the sealed base and the two "breathing holes" that would face opposite the operator. With the speed-up pulley on my 44GT deck, there's quite a bit of wash of dead grass that boils up ahead of the tractor in parts of the yard. To my suprise much of those grass clippings were lodged between the expanded metal and paper element of the air filter.

Back many years ago I embarked on building a custom Cub Cadet. One of the features I decided was a must-have was a pre-cleaner housing. Not wanting something big, black, and gaudy like an infamous <font color="119911">140</font> has, but something that would be something that I could see that IH could have done right out of the parts bin.

I found that the next size larger air filter belonged to the K482/K532/K582 series engines. I purchased a new outter housing, and a "quiet" style base (same part as what the 149 quiet kit would have had). I cut 4 holes in the air cleaner housing to the same porportion as the white-background IH logo, and plug welded a narrow-frame clutch cover over it (the screen style, without the flanges).

My honest worry was air flow, and until this week, never really had the occasion to test it out to see if it works well and if it's a restriction. Turns out it works quite well! My biggest worries of having grass sucked onto the screen and restricting flow were never realized. It wasn't for lack of effort either, I intentionally took the thatcher over the yard so that grass clippings would be in abundance.

I have a red one painted up for the project, and now I've got one in the works to replace the stock housing on my 169.}

Here's before and after shots.
239195.jpg

239196.jpg

Wayne-

Why not just use the foam pre-filter? That keeps the big stuff and a lot of the little stuff out of the paper element, as well...

Matt-

I believe you meant Wyatt. Maybe it was a long week.

Engine guys...I'm still in question about the little oil drain back hole between the tappets on this K301. Doesn't this hole open into the crankcase and shouldn't a probe go on through? I posted this question yesterday with no response. I'm now wondering if something was left there after the casting was made that should have been cleaned/cut off.

Please and TIA.

MATT - The foam wrap for the air filters actually make the dust/debris accumulation problem worse. Wyatt & I have exchanged several e-mails on this the last couple weeks. I've been running the foam wraps on my #72 for the last couple years. It's just thick enough that most of the dust/debris ends up on the exposed end of the wrap closest to the engine. They do make the pleated paper element stay cleaner a lot longer, but at $12.50 plus tax for the filter & wrap at my local F&F you don't want to be changing them any sooner than you have to.

Wyatt's pic's don't really show how big that filter assembly really is. It's HUGE! I vacuumed clippings with my 72 & lawn vac last weekend. When going with the breeze a fine shower of small clippings & dust was floating all around the tractor. I'd removed the wrap otherwise the exposed end of the foam would have been plugged solid.

WAYNE - I think there's TWO holes in that valve spring compartment, one into the cylinder bore and one towards the governor. They're really small, but yes, they should be all the way through the casting.

Aaron from xtrememotorworks.com came by the other night so we could play with his new version of the Brinly Garden Cart.

He even went so far as to order the exact same bolts and nuts to make it as authentic as you can get.
239202.jpg

239203.jpg

We started out with his Original,
239204.jpg

He added the brackets, which BTW make this unit so it will fit the Original, 70, 100, 102 and so on up to the 104 with the mule drive in place no less!
239205.jpg

239206.jpg

239207.jpg

It took him less than 15 minutes from start to finish with a 3/4" and 9/16" wrench and ratchet.

239208.jpg

239209.jpg

Of course we had to see if it would hold up under a HEAVY LOAD! LOL
I told him to suck his gut in, but he was to slow on the suck in part before I snapped the pic.
239210.jpg

And then took all the measurements and angles for the wide frames and 82 series tractors.

biggrin.gif

Charlie,
Lookin'good. I'm saving my pennies now to get one for my Original.

Hey, Charlie, any Idea how much they're gonna be? Ballpark figures, that is?

dizzy.gif
I don't remember that being there yesterday.. lol..

Latest posts

Back