• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 18, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
coffee.gif
lurking.gif

My local lawnmower man has a IH Cub Cadet 106 for sale. Where do I kick, what should I look for.
He did mention it will needed a new clutch plate, but that appears to be an easy fix.
I want a lawn tractor to mow and till my yard and garden, and maybe hotrod out to make Hank Hill look bad on his green machine... lol...
What should I look for to ensure I'm buying a good one...?
It comes with the tiller and plow attachment.
I'm doing some trading to get it so price is not the issue.
Any advice is welcome, Thanks.

here is a link to several pictures I took...
https://picasaweb.google.com/banditgrass/IHCubCadet106?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfGqNek9_WfEw&feat=directlink

225314.jpg

Justin, As far as where to kick, set on the seat and turn the steering wheel. look for where the slop is, it will tell you what need help. Put a boot on a front tire and see if you can make one side of the axle rock front to back. Tells you the condition of the axle pivot pin. With the engine off put it in gear, you may have to roll the tractor a little to mesh the gears, listen, it should feel firm not loose. when it goes into gear it makes kinda a click. Probly hard to do when you don't know what it supose to sound like.
Look at the bolt holes on the deck whare the rear mounts bolt to the deck, good place for the deck to crack, same with the front area where the cast piece rolls over the front of the deck and boltsd on. Run the engine and see how the front clutch engages the deck. It should be a smooth engagement. Listen with the mower going, is there an excessive amount of noise? from where? Good tight bearings with fresh grease make a lot less noise than loose bearings half dry. Thats what comes to my mind this morning. Others will chime in with what I forgot. Looks like a mabey a 12 horse engine and your going to have to fix the hood where the hinge bolt is.
Hope it works out good for you.
happy.gif

So anyone have any input on the #4 IH trailers? I have had one offered to me, and want to hear from owners of them or anyone who has an opion on them. What are they like size wise, sturdiness, capability of hauling good sized loads, any good pictures of yours, etc... What size are the tires on them - comparable to front tires on a 782 or 982?

MIKE - Don't know about an IH #4 cart, but I sure use the HECK out of one of these: http://www.solexcorp.com/productfiles/pronovost/503.html

Mine has six inch tall sideboards on it. I can pretty much load it up level full to the top of the sideboards with dirt or rock and dump it at idle with the 982. If I heap it up sometimes I have to get "Creative" to dump it.

MIKE - Actually the 982 handles it great. I pull it off the Cat O to sleeve hitch adapter I made for the 982, so I can raise the box higher. It causes the frt end to get a little light even with the 50C deck on. I have a frt weight bracket with a dozen MWSC 10# weights I should run on the 982 but I switch off from mowing to hauling too often.

I actually wish I could afford a 16,000# cap trailer like this, http://www.solexcorp.com/productfiles/pronovost/5163s.html to pull with my Super H or M FARMALL.

I did make adapters for the cyl. on my little cart so I can run it with either of my Farmall's. My local mulch supplier is a quarter mile down the road and I HATE to pay the delivery charge since I'm so close. The 982's road gear is not near as fast as either FARMALL's.

Mike,
I don't know about the #4,but I have #1 and #2 I.H. carts and like them both very much.Both pretty heavy built. I think the #4 was 17 cubic foot with 16x6.50x8" tires.They are a collectible,so would get it if price is right!
My .02
ROD

Your lucky Dennis, that would be great to be able to pick up your own stuff just down the road. Bet they laugh when they see the 982 come stroling in for a load?

How do your tractors handle the #2 Rodney, no problems loading it up good?

just replaced the front PTO clutch and head gasket on my 129 and I have a few questions.

I am getting smoke rising off the top of the head, out the oil dip stick and breather, i believe it is called, under the carb.
not a lot, it is hard to see it. just wondering if that is a problem i should check.

the only way i can get the pto to turn off the mower is to adjust it way too far in, meaning the mower runs, but the there is no space between the two buttons on the linkage and clutch, when the mower is off.
old clutch was not rebuildable, i put a new clutch on.

finally, when mowing the lawn, i set the speed about midway, then the speed slowly increases. is there a way to adjust it, so i can lock the speed control?

thanks everyone.

MIKE,
They handle it great.I've used dads off brand which is 17 cubic foot.I loaded it down with white 1/2 chat and pulled it with a 73 worked great also!
ROD

Denny,

Nah, you need one of these...

225318.jpg

That is the cats ass Steve! I certainly do like your wagon. I gotta get me one of them someday too! My wish list is getting longer than my arm, holy crap!

Frank, it's normal for some oily smoke to come out of the breather, especially if the engine has quite a few hours on it. It shouldn't be coming out of the dipstick or be coming from the head. Check around the head for any sign of oil seepage, you could have a blown head gasket. Regarding the hydro speed control: CLICK HERE Also check out the Service Manual for info on adjusting the friction of the speed control lever. It sounds like the friction setting is a bit loose on your 129.

Steve, doesnt that stantion slow dumping down quite a bit.
happy.gif

Hey, No matter how difficult the new Parts LookUp is for you try this...

Once you go through the hassle and get any Assembly of your Model on screen make that page a Favorite/Bookmark/Shortcut.

That allows you to later use that Favorite/Bookmark/Shortcut to go drectly to the drawing and from there you can use the dropdown to go to the assembly you want. The old LookUp did not allow this!

STEVE B. - Yes, I wish I had the time & $$$ to build a hoist like that. Everything else would be quick & easy.

With the limited turning radius of a CC I think my trailer works better in close quarters. With it hooked to the end of the 3-pt I can turn really short and not get into the 3-pt lower arms or tires. I dumped a load of dirt last summer where I had to jack-knife into location and it worked really slick.

MIKE - I haven't caught the mulch guy at his place yet. The plan is to use one of the FARMALL's to pull the cart. I really hate to put many "road miles" on the 23 deg. Firestones on the back of the 982. Both Farmall's, especially the Super H did a L-O-T of road work years ago. I ran it about 5 miles one-way to town for hog feed about every other day all spring and summer, hauled hay, corn, oats, etc to town or from farm-to-farm, or field-to-farm.

With the side boards on my cart it should hold 1-1/2 yrds of mulch level full. Two summers ago when I got the first piece of landscaping done the neighbor dropped off twelve yards. Took about an hour to 1-1/2 hrs with the loader on the Super H to put half of it, 6 yrds, where it belonged.

What mower deck do I have? I can only see what I believe is casting numbers, no model or serial number. I have looked at http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/ but the decks I found there looks different. Mine appears to have castings rather than sheet metal. Is there a parts manual I can look up for particular parts?

At more than $100 for a blade set and about three times that much by the time it gets to me (in Johannesburg, South Africa), I need to be sure what I order is correct. I searched and looked without success. Apologies for my ignorance. Thanks for your help.

225323.jpg

225324.jpg

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

I kind a like my dump trailer . I don`t have the room to haul a bigger longer trailer around here. Wife has to many shrubs to deal with. I do use this a lot. Later Don

225326.jpg

Dawid, that would be a cast end "Pin On" deck. Here's the manual for it: CLICK HERE The size, 38", 42" or 48", would be the cutting width, not the overall width. It is NOT a 48" deck as those did not have the cast ends. It appears to be a 42" deck but to be sure, measure the outside tip to outside tip, width between the two outer blades. To find it in the Parts Lookup, enter 102 as the model, then click "Search". 102 will be the top item. Click on the "Select Assembly", then click on "Attachments" then click on "38", 42" 3 Spindle Mower" and a menu will drop down from which you can look at various items. Hope that makes sense... Play around with it and you should be able to find the info you need.

Latest posts

Back