Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Compression check on 18 magnum.

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

John Halper

Doing a compression check on an 18 magnum. What would be the average acceptable psi be for one with about 900hrs on it.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
The service manual (a free download from Kohler's website, by the way) says difference not greater than 15% between cylinders and above 90 psi is acceptable.

John Halper

Well, Thank you. I was not aware of the free download. So I guess at 70psi I should count this 1 as almost done . Think I try another gauge first . Then give it a squirt of oil or two & see what kind of difference I get.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
For best results, I would do the test with no air cleaner and the throttle wide open. Run the engine first to warm it up. Not much meaning to a cold compression test.

John Halper

For best results, I would do the test with no air cleaner and the throttle wide open. Run the engine first to warm it up. Not much meaning to a cold compression test.
Need to get running first. Was told its been sitting for years. So as the carb was sitting in cleaner & I was checking other pieces of the puzzle . Its just 1 of the things I did. I am now at , no spark. So something else to chase the reason for .

John Halper

Warm Or cold . At least it gave me an outlook that the valves were sealing & it didn't have a hole in a piston. Like I said it had about 70PSI in both cylinders. Air cleaner off & throttle open.

Latest posts