Archive through May 17, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen, We used a steering pump from a Toyota minivan on a loader we put on a Wheel Horse and it worked great. It was very small and had a external tank already. Best part is they are real cheap from a junk yard.

Bren

RYAN, MATT - I haven't run those friction washers on mower spindles EVER and Dad got the first Cub Cadet in 1963. I WILL use large 5/8" or 3/4" flat washers (can't remember which size they are) to shim blades so the tips are lined up perfectly after the blade is tightened to the spindle. I wouldn't put anti-sieze on the surfaces that clamp the blade either. I tighten My blades with an impact...with antisieze ONLY on the threads.

Ryan W.
You may be assuming a certain amount of risk by not using the fiber discs on the blade shafts. While mowing down a patch of 2' to 3' sumac with an old 48" cancer deck, (sounded like a firing range), one of the outer blades stopped. The shaft snapped just below the sheave. It was the only spindle that didn't have a disc on it to absorb the shock of the blade hitting the finger to thumb size trunks of the sumac. Replacement cost was more than a couple of good steak dinners!

MARION - Mowing stuff like that is ABUSE. The shock loading from the blades hitting those tree trunks is HUGE. A CC deck is made to mow grass. I won't say I've never hit a fallen tree limb, or mowed over a woody stem of a plant, or hit a hidden rock. They're not made to mow Brush. Even BUSH HOGS break and they're built a WHOLE lot tougher than these mower decks.

Now I have to ask the question....Are the friction discs supposed to keep the blades firmly driving from the spindle? Or are the friction discs supposed to allow the blades to SLIP on the spindle and reduce shock loading?

As far as assuming Risk.. Well, I do that ANYTIME I get into a car, truck, on a tractor, lawn mower...Heck, even the recliner in My family room at home.

Dennis,
This was an old rusted out deck that was used for rough cutting where I wouldn't go with my other two regular mowers. It proved to me how tough the decks were however, and this was a parts deck anyway. I totally agree, abuse or misuse is out of order. The risk is to the pocket book.

Bryan M. has one, so record envy set in and I had to get one for myself.
biggrin.gif

56787.jpg

56788.jpg

Lonny B I have seen flywheels with 2 marks for timing. One is before TDC and the other is TDC. Some flywheels are stamped SP also. The service manual shows both marks. I also have a hard starting kohler.

Marion, actually I'd say the risk is to both the pocket book AND your AND/OR any bystanders health. Even more so with "an old rusted out deck"! That rusty deck shell wouldn't be up to the task of containing flying metal parts! Please, for your own safety do not use a grass cutting deck for brush cutting.

Thanks to all who answered my plea for an answer to my problem with pump location on my 129.The picture below from charlie showes the stub shaft that i was planning on useing,it has already been drilled for a pin and we plan to add a short shaft and place the pump behind that plate on the rearend so we won`t lose aney space from the battery. If this doesn`t work i will use the other ideas in the other postes. Thanks so much for all the valuable info you all gave..
bouncy.gif
Don tanner

Art, that reminds me of when my daughter came home from kindergarten and said "The teacher played a REALLY big CD today." Turned out to be an LP, gave my wife and I a good laugh.
happy.gif
BTW, that's 33.3 RPM.......Sheese.
roflol.gif

Finally got the 129 running and enough slop out of the front end so the thing would steer well enough to go around the lawn. Gassed her up, put the deck back on and proceeded to mow some soggy wet grass.

The good: It leaves a smoother yard than 782.

The bad: Blow-by, leaky gas line, major hydro creep, throttle wont stay WFO - keeps sneaking back to 1/2 throttle so you have to hold your hand on it, steering is just awful and the key is broken off in the ignition so I have to carry a screwdriver with me. Did I mention the hydro creep? Wowsa - bout launched me a couple times.

So, here I am holding the throttle with my right hand, working the hydro with my left so I don't smash into the house or one of the kids, and trying to steer whenever everything was working well enough to let me take my hands off, and running around the yard puffing wisps of smelly white smoke. On top of that the hydro is on the left - like riding old British motorcycles with the reversed brake pedal and shifter. It was comedy out there but the lawn got mowed and my $162 129 left me laughing. It's a pile of junk but I love it. Can't wait to fix all the doodads and see what it can really do.

Kraig: I'm going to replace that pin in the front axle with a bolt and maybe a couple shims. There is just NO way I can think of to pinch that carrier tighter - that thing is made out of some seriously thick steel.

Man, I love how these Cubs are built. Makes me proud to own them.

Craig, as I said yesterday the "C" clamp idea was just a thought.
happy.gif
That throttle lever tension can be tightened up with a screw driver and I think a 7/16" wrench, might have to use a 90° Phillips. Might also have to remove to fuel tank to get the view I posted below. Funny I just took this photo this morning of a parts 149 that I have. Who knew I'd have a use for it.
dunno.gif

56792.jpg

Well, actually I took this photo and cropped that view out of it.
happy.gif

56794.jpg

Kraig,
One more comment. The field I was clearing was over 200 yards from anything. The choice was to mount the old deck or spend 4 hours or more with a grubhoe. My example was to illustrate the design and complement of parts to make up an assembly that was designed by the engineers and a probable reason for each. The other two properly equipped spindles as well as the entire deck functioned just fine. I agree, there is a reason the first section of all manuals is dedicated to safety procedures and any farm boy knows the intended purpose and application of each piece of machinery he is going to use.

I guess we are the only people here. The other guys must be sleeping next to their cubs.

Latest posts

Back