• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

XT3 throttle problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to the group. I have owned an XT3 for a few years. Excellent machine, never a problem until today. The problem was when I tried to start it, the throttle of the choke was hard. When I tried to raise it, the throttle seemed disconnected. When I checked the engine I see that everything was in place. The motor works but is a little weak, when I raise the other throttle the motor turns off. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

You do not have to start a new thread for each post. Just go down to the bottom in the white block beside your purple P and post away. :bluethumbsup:

Thank you mgwin again.
The throttle (#1) was hard. When I use a little force the lever seems to be unlocked, a little weak, maybe something came loose. However, when I put the lever in fast, the engine starts with some difficulty. The motor seems weak. When I use the other lever (#2) the engine stops.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • Throttle.jpg
    Throttle.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
Lever 2 is your choke. Once the engine is warm, it makes sense that it dies. Which lever in the first photo controls the white captioned connection in the second photo, and which controls the red caption?

JKoenig I'm sorry, in the previous photo I had inverted the colors by mistake.

Here in this new photo appears the correct linkages white (Working) and red (Not working). Before it broke, I raise both throttles (Start and Choke) until it started, then the choke in lower position keeping the start in fast position. Now I can't use the choke because the engine turns off. But the linkages work. The start seems to be out, and it's the one with the linkage that doesn't move (red color in the photo). I can start the engine but it is very weak. I think that the start is not working correctly.

This is frustrating because it has never happened before and I am not familiar with what to do.

Attachments

• Throttle-003.jpg
    Throttle-003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
If you push the throttle lever up, can you move the connected carb lever? You may have broken your throttle cable.

Maybe try disconnecting the throttle cable from the carb, and move the carb throttle by hand to see if it will run that way.

Thanks for the help, Guys. This morning I was playing with the cable and it does seem to be broken. I don't understand how I can turn it on without the choke. It's a great machine. I've had it for 4 years without a problem. I'll add some more pics from this morning.

This is a great forum. I appreciate the advice.

In this photo you can see how when lowering the shock lever, the linkage moves. Note that the two wires that move the pieces when the shock lever is lowered are marked in yellow. Also notice that there are other pieces with holes (the two question marks) for some other link wires that are not present or perhaps were not there before. The throttle moves loose, and nothing moves with its linkage.

Attachments

• Choke.jpg
    Choke.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
Don't look there, take the firewall off and look where the cables attach to the levers under the dash.
The cables both of them, are held in place by PLASTIC retainers that snap into place. Thats what is broken, the little tabs on them. Yet another "bright idea", NOT!!

The steering wheel has to come off and the complete dash ass'y needs to come loose so you can move it up and back to access that area.
Looks like new cable ass'ys are in order here.

Good luck!

Good luck

The steering wheel and dash have been removed. The choke and throttle cables were melted. Ordering a new assembly now. It seems to be due to extended use over the years.

MELTED??@!!
As in too hot??
Have you been keeping the grass and debris cleaned out after each use by blowing everything off the engine compartment, tins and flywheel?

dschwandt. I did not know that the motor had to be blown after each use. What I did do was clean the air filter where I also used the air compressor, and at the same time removed the grass and dust from the tractor. But not very often.

Blow all the areas out behind and around the engine including the foam filter between the bulkhead and engine shroud and down around the steering shaft.
FYI, there is a grease fitting down there that should be serviced at each oil change along with the axle, steering knuckles and wheel bearings.

Latest posts

Back