• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 15, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elincoln

displayname
Edward H Lincoln
Donald Tanner: I adjusted the clutch on a 1962 last Saturday. I asked the guy if it has or had fenders and where the serial number is located. His tractor is painted 100% red with IH farmall decals. Were is the serial number located?

Have 1960's model 123 w/Kohler engine. Generator not charging.
Is overhaul just a commutator turn-down + new brushes? Or is much more likely to be needed?}

Philip White

groupwave.gif
Welcome to THE BEST IH site there is.

Edward H Lincoln

I have no idea where the ser number is on a 1962, I think an 1862 ser number is on the frame by your let foot sitting on the tractor.
old.gif

Philip White - I believe Don T meant FAQ #21. Don is on the north side of the border and sometimes gets his metric/US conversions mixed up.

Thanks, guys..
thumbsup.gif
a buddy of mine is tryin to get me to apply to a factory in town- I'd probably be makin' more money, and It would be less of a commute. I might do it if my grandpa doesn't want any help on the farm over the summer. Nothing against factory jobs, I'm just not sure how well I'll handle the repetition. It might be great, or I could end up going insane.. (You know, crazy enough to buy a Deere or an MTD.) BY THE WAY: I guess I should say not ALL cub projects.. I still plan to pick up Uncle Phil's 102 eventually..

I got the 129 back up and running after several little issues showed their faces. I even found a small wasp in the carb bowl...how the heck.
Anyway, I decided to try a 44A with it and WOW. That's a great combination. I've heard more than once that the 129 with the 44A was a very popular mower with the consumer and now I know why. I rebuilt the trunion with a tad heavier stock and also used two washers just to give that a try. The hydro worked like a dream holding its speed in any position, forward or reverse. I need to do a few things yet to make it like I want it. The basket pulley is bent causing it to twist belts but I have a good replacement. Finding neutral is being the pain it always is. I've adjusted it three different times and she still creeps just a little.
I imagine the 149 would be just as exciting but this 129 is one bad a$$ mowing machine now. I have it set up with a sleeve hitch for cultivating but thought I'd try it mowing with the 1250s deck and undercarriage. It has hydraulic lift so that just adds to the fun.

Wayne Shytle
I`am glad you like the washer mod on the caps between the trunion springs . I have found the springs last much longer and love the added speed control.I would love to put a deck on my 149 just to see how it would cut. Might have to set that up for some rainy day with the set up and install.

I did get to add a battery to my 62 original and added some gas only to have it run out on the floor
bash.gif
. The bowl gasket was toast and the shut off was leaking. I had cleaned the Carb and added a new line from the bowl to Carb and stored it with no leaks.No fire and the amp gauge was not working. I did find a loose wire on the regulator and now see a discharge when It rolls over. In The am I hope to clean the carb again and check the points for the no spark issue. I do have power to the coil so I`am thinking it has to be the points causing the no spark. Plug is new and I checked the plug wire and it showed go with my meeter.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Harry Bursell

sorry guys I don`t always do what I wish I would have. I looked it up in the Faq and got my numbers crossed.
smile.gif

WAYNE - Yep, a 129 & 44A is a great mowing combination. Son & I ran one for 15 yrs but sold it 6 yrs ago to make room for Dad's '51 Farmall M.

I may look for another one some day. You can cover a LOT of ground with them.

Two questions.
Rubber grommet still available?

And maybe the question of the day.
Does any one still have the metal strap on the steering Column?
If so do you know what it is?

`
239085.jpg

A few things I"ve learned.
1)If you buy a Cub for parts do not get it running.
2)You can put a new carb float in a cub with out removing the carb (2b) you will not save time))
3) If you get it running do not tell your dad.

After getting it running Dad wanted to pressure wash it. Then pt some paint on it. Then change the oil.
Next is the hydo leaks. The PTO clutch is shot. Smokes some. And the........
I'll get back to you.

239090.jpg

239091.jpg

Grrrrr!!
angry.gif

I put a new Cub Cadet belt on my 982 that has a 50" deck about a week ago. It's the one that goes from the PTO to the deck. I have maybe 5 hours on it and I shredded it last night. Everything seemed to be adjusted correctly nothing rubbing that I was aware of. What could possibly cause this? I don't want to buy another expensive belt if I'm just gonna tear it up. Anyone else have this problem? I know I need to double check to make sure the belt is not rubbing anything. This just rattles me.
bash.gif

Good morning all. I am looking for help with my Cub 982, model #145986399 s/n 2050604u744246. It has front and rear PTO’s with 50" deck and 3 pt hitch. Where can I find info on my specific s/n. I need to know if it is a 982,984 or 986. can anyone help?

KENNETH - Welcome to the BEST CC forum on the net.

Another thing that determines which model of 982 you have is the aux frt remote hyd outlets & individual rear disc brakes. Plus the frt & rear PTO & 3-point. A tractor with all options is actually considered a "986" which also happens to be a 110 HP 2WD FARMALL tractor with cab, heater, & A/C.

I forget what options the 984 actually had, and the basic tractor was considered a 982, no rear PTO, 3-pt, frt aux remotes and no individual rear brakes.

They're all great mowing tractors. You can cover a lot of ground in a hurry with them, and with the longer wheelbase and larger tires they ride nice and run smooth.

Bill Rhodes

(Rubber grommet still available? ) if your talking the rubber around the steering colum ? yes they can be bought here down that page http://ccspecialties.org/steering_seats.html

(Does any one still have the metal strap on the steering Column? )

you lost me on that one. Metal strap where on the tractor does it go
1a_scratchhead.gif

Well I thought I would get the 62 O running
bash.gif
. Had to rebuild the fuel bowl and replace the gasket and clean it.Got fire to the points but no fire to the plug
bash.gif
. I don`t have a spare set of points to install. So I guess I`am done for today on the Original.
Oh well the 125 can use some time installing a replacement oil pan .

Shultzie,

Check your idler pulleys on your mule drive to see if the bearings are going bad. If either of the pulleys are loose at the bearings or not turning freely, that could be causing your premature belt failure. Also check the condition on your center mower deck drive pulley to make sure the sheeve contact areas for the belt are smooth and are not bent or deformed. Same on your PTO drive pulley.

RON S. - I had something happen on my 982 about this time last summer, the one idler pulley on the mule drive started "squeeling", normally I can get four or five hours of use out of them when they do that. Not with the 982. After about ten minutes of squeeling the idler pulley locked up and killed the engine!

I've had idlers on other CC's run so long that the bearings spit the balls out, ran race-to-race and wore through the inner race and half way thru the attaching bolt! I had the nule drive for the 72 leaning up against my work beench all winter, about Febuary I happened to bump it and the one idler pulley FELL OFF....

I always keep spares for the pulleys on hand. It's a five minute job to replace them, cost of the gas to go to my local CC dealer costs more than one pulley now days. I typically buy two, and when I put the second one on I buy two more.

Back