Archive through May 15, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill R and Don T - although I've never actually owned an Original I know there are some differences. Don provided a link upon which you can scroll down and find the rubber grommet for the Original (and just below it for all other models). Based on Bill's pic the Original must have used a metal bushing and spacer which holds the steering shaft in the center of the column pipe. I believe, but don't know for certain this was replaced by the plastic bushing and foam spacer listed just below the rubber grommet on the same page. I say this since I had also understood IH used the metal bushing on some of the tractors after the Original. I just don't know if it's the same size and correct for the Original as well.

got a question for all you smart fellas, im looking for a set of tires for the 1250 were restoring, now for the hard part we are looking for a matching set of ag tires 26-12-12 and the fronts 16-6.50-8 ore close to that size, weve searcd the web and havent found a matching set. do you guys have any that youve found, thanks for the help

Darren S - I don't know if I'm one of the "smart fellas" but if you're looking for a matching set of new tires I'd check all the sponsors listed above, and also www.millertire.com which many people already know of. Now, you mention 26x12x12 which is alot taller than the 23x8.5x12 that was originally on a 1250. It may "look neat" for shows, but if you're planning to actually use the tractor you'll find leveling a deck and using front/rear attachments will probably have some lift issues. Now if you're looking for used tires, well they do come up in the classifieds section on here, and you can find them in the other usual sources like Craig's List.

thank you Harry i am looking for new tires and this tractor is going to be a loader tractor. we did look at the sponcers and miller tire and a bunch of others im thinking theres not a matching set out there of what we want. we did find a OTR tire but there BO with no release date. i just wanted to tap in to the knowlige of the fourm and see if i missed some some where.

DARREN - When you say you want a "Matching Set" of tires, do you mean the same brand, size, ply, tread style? On just the rears or front & rears? I would think Miller Tire would be able to fix you up with any combination you want, providing it's something currently being made.

I'm "FUSSY" as all heck about tires, guess that comes from my day's of spending over $5 Million Dollars a MONTH for farm tractor tires @ FARMALL. I want Firestone 23 degree rears and really could care less what's on the frt. I did find a nice looking 3-rib front in a 4.00X8 on another site, made by DURO, now if I could just find some place that sells them....

oops i didnt say that yes im looking for 4 of the same brand and tread all 4 lug tires thats why were haveing such a hard time i found a lot of matches if we run a 23-10.5 12 but the 26s makes it a little more difuclt and yes we by no means need the 26s but they just look to cool not to run them. and yes we started looking at the tri rib might be are only option.

Darren S - sorry I overlooked the "matching set" comment and was just thinking about pairs. I see Miller has the front ag tires but not quite a match to the rears. Also, the size discussion concerns me as well. As you might expect the Federal Standards for sizing don't apply to Garden Tractor tires. The actual "measured" sizes will be quite different between brands and styles. I don't know how Goodyear is these days but back in the era of the Quiet Line series (like your 1200) I believe they were the worst. The Goodyear Terra Turf IIs on the rear of my 1450 were supposed to be 23 tall and measured about 21.5. The front Goodyear Ribs were supposed to be 16 tall and barely measured 14. Maybe we'll get alot of guys running out and measuring the heights of their tires now and will post them so we can see actual sizes. Thanks for asking about tires.

thank you for that info i didnt think about the differnt mesurment on the tires thats a good thought and yes if i could get some measurment that would help to the owner of the tractor really want the 26s on the back and i knew if i asked here ide get all the details i need thank again for all the info

Shultzie-
I can't see your mower deck (obviously)
worthless.gif

But I would check to make sure that any and all belt retainers aren't too close to the belt. If they are, the belt will rub when it's running, even if it looks like it won't. I had a simplicity at work that that happened to. Also, check the idlers like Ron and Dennis suggested. They know a heck of a lot more than I do. Also, it's my advice to double-triple-quadruple check EVERYTHING.

and ive found some small front ags just nothing with a match to the 26s there close but not quite close enough

Don / Harry
Thank you for the info.
The picture does not show it well but the metal strap is a shipping tag. It shows it was sent to Hart IH dealer, in Hart Michigan.

Bill that sounds like a very cool tag to find on a cub

Ladies and gerbils, meet JackieO :
239098.jpg

More to follow if I can keep resizing pics.
happy.gif

Under edit;
Problem, Houston.
This "new" computer has Windows 7 - a stranger to me. I'm leery of uploading Kodak EasyShare because I've been told it "overtakes" a computer. Could that be because it makes it so easy to take, save, and resize pics?

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

Ok Frank ? what have you found now ? looks like a 125
1a_scratchhead.gif

Darren Sterley
If you are building a loader tractor I would go with at least a 4 ply tire to withstand the weight of using it to move heavy loads.The size you mention (16-6.50-8 ) ,A set of V61s would work real nice on the front of a loader. I will post pictures of a ribbed tire I have on my 129 loader and The fronts on my 1512 in the am. Air pressure will play a big part in moving a loaded buck and it is nice to be able to run 30 lbs of air so the tractor moves much easier.

Harry Bursell

Thanks for pointing out my error, I don`t know what I was thinking .
worthy.gif

Don: Right, a 125. Quite special, but the story is worthless w/o pics. No, it's a good story even w/o pics.
4 (maybe 5, the way time flies, now) years ago, I was told about a Cub Cadet that was just sitting. The owner had just decided that he'd like to restore a tractor - and then he died. The friend that told me about the 125 knew the town that the guy came from (we're a small County, populationwise) and I was able to bring up his obit and contact his widow. (part of his obit was that he was interested in tractor restoration). I contacted her through her daughter and was told that they weren't ready to part with it, yet. A couple years later (3 summers ago) I was in the area and talked to her son- in- law and he thought she might be ready to part with it. One thing led to another and I made a $150 offer. Then it got accepted. Then I got the perfect chance to go get it and she was there. She looked so sad that I couldn't help but give her a check for $200 -- I told her that I forgot that it had lights. I'm timing out, here, but there's a lot more to this story.
happy.gif

Frank C - you know, if you do a search of the archives I'm pretty certain I recall you mentioning the story about locating this unit a few years back. Glad to hear you were finally able to get it. Although your pic is small it doesn't appear it was sitting outside either and should be a good unit to restore. Now, I know you're closer to ole Don T than I am, but if I were you I'd certainly keep this unit right where it is. Otherwise you might end up with a cracked oil pan.

Don T - no error that I saw. Bill R did state "metal strap" but I assumed he was referring to the metal bushing on his steering column. If anything it was my error since he now pointed out it was a shipping tag. So right back at ya
worthy.gif

So we come-a-long her onto my trailer (and it was steeply uphill) and she came home with us. I forget what it took to get her running (but I've got it written down, somewhere), and I drove her out back and parked he in the metal quonset.
This conversation probably wouldn't be happening if I hadn't crippled my #1 149 that does such a good job of hauling the rock rake and then realizing that JackieO has a 3 (2) point with spring assist. And the beat goes on ... (friggin' drums).
happy.gif
happy.gif

hey every one. I reinstalled my clutch today but something is still wrong. when I press down on the pedal the clutch arm doesn't touch the throw out bearing until its completely pressed, as if the bearing needs to be a few inches forward more. I also noticed that my brakes are not releasing properly either, I thought it may have went out of adjustment but the nuts on the two rods haven't moved since I have had the tractor ( they are rusted in place ). I looked over the manual on adjusting the clutch pedal but I stand a little confused on it still. Could the problem be some were else besides the clutch? The throw out bearing was definitely damaged and needed to be replaced but could that have been caused by an other problem?

Quick 44A type deck question.

Are these decks ground supported, i.e. the rear wheels ride on the ground similar to a Simplicity or Wheelhorse - or do these decks hang from the tractor?

I may have asked this a while back, but couldn't find it or remember.

Latest posts

Back