• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 14, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured since I might have to start mowing one of these days, I better get one ready.

So I bought this 1712 a while back and figured it would be a good replacement for the 1811 lost back in 2013.
320567.jpg

Steering seemed really tight, so I took it apart only to find that there was no grease anywhere, LOL
Even the front wheels NEVER had any put in them.
320568.jpg

The steering knuckle spindle were dry as a bone and the zerks would take no grease.
I also found it odd that the bolt inserts did not have a hole for the grease to get to the bolt.
320569.jpg

So decided that they both needed holes so the grease could get everywhere, LOL
320570.jpg

I put a groove from the 2 holes I put in the inserts. Seems logical to me that grease should be able to get to the bolt and not just to the outside of the inserts. Unless I'm missing something, LOL

Charlie, wow, no grease in the wheel bearings! Are the bearings toast?

Yes Digger, you are missing the main aspect of the steering. The yoke tightens against those sleeves and the sleeves turn inside the axle. The bolt should never turn inside the sleeves. That is why the grease goes between the sleeves and the axle housing.

Charlie- aren't they like the old ones where the bolt clamps the spindle to the sleeve? Then the sleeve turns inside the axle so that's the only place you need grease. Unless I'm the one missing something.

Edit- Wes types faster than me

So I figured that like Charlie - I might be ready to mow the lawn. So I had finished patching up the deck earlier this week and thought I'd mount it so after the rain tomorrow I might be able to mow on Sunday. Went to the shed to get the 73 only to discover hydraulic oil directly under the pump/reservoir... grrrrr..... so the plan now is to swap out the setup and go back to the strong arm deal 'til I can fix the problem(s)...

Wes H.
I understand what your saying, but those sleeves don't stick up above the axle at all. They are dead flush, top and bottom.
Maybe I need to go to the shelf and pull a new set, and see if they stick up any.
320573.jpg

Ed T.
Beats me, I've never had to remove any on anything I ever owned, so this is all new to me, LOL

Kraig,
The wheel bearings are perfect and spin smooth, go figure!

They are only a tiny bit longer than the axle, just enough to let the spindle move freely without a lot of up and down play.

Alright, I got myself confused. Are all 44 inch mowing decks pretty well the same? I'm trying to find my spindle drive belt for my 44a decks, and came up with

954-3004. 1/2x77.5"
As the part number.

I found the mule drive belt, have to measure my pulleys to verify whether they are 4.5 or 5.0" but came up with
IH-59971-C1. 3/8x78"

And
IH-117465-C1. 3/8x79" respectively.

I'm honestly grateful for the cubfaq!
I'll be ordering them soon, as I just had to push mow my 1/3 acre. Using the 1200 is much easier, plus my neighbors now laugh when I don't use my tractor, hahaha.

Earl F.
The Parts lookup is your best bet. That way you can see the deck variations. You didn't mention other than the 1200 if that's what your looking to mess with.

I did find out today that you can use a deck from a 1450 under a 1712. You just have to change the front hanger closer to center. The 5/8 Belt fit perfect in the center pulley too. I was rather surprised.

Latest posts

Back