• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed at Mills Fleet Farm that Briggs and Stratton are selling their engines (on lawnmowers and such) with torque displayed but not HP. Why are they now selling their engines with torque and not HP ratings? Is that to slam 2 cycles? Personally, I do think torque is a better rating as that to me is a measurement of "grunt". Any thoughts?

Cub content: What is the torque ratings of our cast iron kohlers of 10/12/14hp ratings vs the 25 hp rating of the new cub cadets?

Chris B.
I think you ran everyone off with that tech question.
rofl.gif

HP vs Torque
If you know the torque and speed, HP is just a calculation from that anyway. More important than either is the torque vs RPM curve. For our uses, flat curves are good. Many engines have a 'peaky' curve where power rises and falls rapidly as RPM changes. So, if you hit a tough spot while mowing, the engine speed drops, power drops, speed drops more, power drops more,etc etc. Our Kohlers aren't like that. That is also why diesels shine for high load, constant speed work. Not torque or HP but the curve.
I don't remember the entire formula, but a quick Google of HP formula will probably find it. Then you can take your calculator with you when you shop and dazzle the salesperson with your knowledge. Oh, yeah that's xxx ft lbs, but only yyy HP.

Bubba,
I think the later is the issue in question. All I can think of it this statment adapted from a Viet Nam movie, "Smell that? Smell that smell? That "diesel" smell. I love that smell of "diesel" in the morning. It smells like................victory." (Over a gas Cub Cadet at plow day). Welcome to wonderful world of Diesels!!

Tom H.
Your almost right.
bouncy.gif

It's I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
biggrin.gif

And having smelled it on more than one ocassion, I have to agree, LOL

Might have the opportunity to pick up a mostly complete 100. I wonder what parts might not work on a 102.

CHRIS B. - The idea behind the B&S torque rating is just that....BS. Most people have NO CLUE what their lawn mower engine's torque rating is. I asked Kraig & Charlie to post about 3 weeks ago some old late 60's vintage & early 70's IH CC sales brochures that have torque ratings listed. If I remember correctly the K241 was rated around 16#/ft @ 2200 rpm, the K301 around 20#/ft and the K321 around 22-24#/ft both around the 2200-2400 rpm range.
KEN C. - You'd be surprised how "Peaky" the Kohler torque curve actually is. Now the marketing types refer to it as "Torque RISE". The harder You try to pull the engine down the harder the engine tries to maintain speed. It's measured as a percentage....RPM drops from 3600 to 3200 and torque INCREASES 21%. Less shifting, fewer stops, less fuel used. I forget ALL the hype they say. If I remember correctly HP = Torque divided by 5252 times actual RPM. So on ALL engines HP @ 5252 rpm will be the actual torque rating. Since Kohlers are governed to 3600 full load rpm the torque rating at 2200-2400 torque peak will be higher than the HP rating @ 3600. The situation with diesel engines are they're such low speed engines. They don't make impressive HP numbers because they don't rev up. But the torque ratings are awesome.

Dennis - The K301 is 22.25 @ 2200. It's the rest of them that I haven't found my stored info for that's kept me from posting. I seen it just a few days ago looking for something else but couldn't find it last night.

Charlie - You messin under da hood around 4:30am EST ? THE forum was taking 4 minutes to load !

Found It !!
beerchug.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Harry Bursell - 02:21am Jul 26, 1998 EST (#934 of 935)
Tom @923 and others - I found a Kohler K series graph chart in a book by Paul Dempsey which shows:
K301(12hp) peak torque 22.25ft lbs @2200 rpm. Also max. brake hp is 12@35-3600rpm but torque is 17.5ft lbs. at this point.
Others interested are:
K241(10hp) peak torque 16.5ft lbs @2400rpm, and max. brake hp is 10@3600rpm torque is 14.5ft lbs.
K321(14hp) peak torque is 23.5ft lbs @2400rpm and max. brake hp is 14@3600rpm torque is 20.5ft lbs.
The BIG K341(16hp) peak torque is 28.25ft lbs. @2600rpm with max. brake hp 16@3500rpm torque is 23.5ft. lbs.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

My 129 goes to the welding shop for the loader install tomorrow( my 55 Birthday) all lines will finish it.wainting for pto parts to arrive.
Hope to be runnig this weekend. Son Tanner

Latest posts

Back