• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 04, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,
YES! I saved that to PC will print later.Is there any mags I can look for that has ads such as that for a CCO.

Rod, here's another one that was in a "Canadian Farming" magazine from 1962 (I believe it was sponsored by <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT>.) I can send the full resolution scan in an email if you like. Just let me know.

224919.jpg

Oh, and here's the front cover of the magazine it came from.

224920.jpg

Rod, I found another one. This one was from a National Geographic. I can email the full resolution scan of this one as well. Not sure of the date of the NG issue it came from. Craig C. owns the actual add that I scanned.

224922.jpg

Craig C., do you recall the issue that the above add was in?

KRAIG,
That would be wonderful!
I'll have to start going page by page looking through those old mags. Maybe start buying more when I see them cheap.They are always enjoyable to look at anyway with all the old ads and such.
ROD

Thanks to Kraig McConaughey for some very
helpful pictures! I got the pin out of the
shift lever and the collar and spring up
out of the way. Now that I know from the
pictures what I'm dealing with I think I
can do the welding.

This step in fixing the shifter has been
successful. I depressed the neck spring
and held it down with needle-nose vise
grip pliers. Then I drove the pin out with
a small punch; slid the collar, spring, and
cover up, and could see that the slotted dome
had broken loose from the lever. Next, I masked
the spot to protect it from spatter, and welded
it back in place. The weld isn't very pretty,
but it shifts fine. Before I reassemble it all,
(the back fender plate is a big hassle), should
I adjust it? There tends to be a little grinding
of gears.

224957.jpg

224958.jpg

224959.jpg

224960.jpg

224961.jpg

D Trigg,

Your repair looks fine, but you may have only fixed part of the problem. Many times the inner cup is very worn and sometimes even cracked like this one...

224963.jpg

When the wear like that the stud often has a groove worn into it as well. While you hav eit this far apart, it may be a good idea to pull the top cover and remove the shift gate. This allows for removal of the shifter lever and a full examination of the cup. It may allow you to make a repair now that you would have to make in 6 months and only have to take the fender deck off once.

There may be an FAQ on pulling the shift gate....

D Trigg ...I am thinking the grinding of the gears are coming from a worn clutch or out of adjustment clutch. the three wear points are the clutch lever, throw out bearing, and clutch hanger.

use the tab at the top that reads parts lookup and procede from there to see the parts break down.

Charlie - can you save me the trouble of searching, do you still sell that gauge device for setting up mower decks?

I looked in the archive, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me what the lift capacity of a 1450, or 1650. Specifically with a sleeve hitch. Thanks for any help Jimmy

Lonnie,
While I was at my brother's house he gave me a project to repair, retube, or replace a wheelbarrow tire, which had gone flat. Once I got it off the rim, I found that the reinforcing cords were actually loose inside the tire, there was little or no rubber holding them in place. Ended up just buying a whole wheel assembly.

Cub related, I decided to resurrect my ailing 125 over Easter weekend so dad could help with the mowing. I got it started (with difficulty) and Dad nursed it along for an hour until it ran out of gas and we couldn't get it restarted. While Dad finished up with the 129, I pulled the head for the first time on this particular tractor since I got it for free from a neighbor several years ago. I found the cylinder in pretty good shape, no scoring and as far as I could tell, only a couple thousandths of wear. The valves on the other hand were badly burned, the exhaust valve was tulip-ed and the intake was worn as well.

Going through my collection of Kohler engine parts, I found a couple of valves that the local NAPA dealer reground for $3.00 each, I lapped them in, and restored the valve seats to reasonable shape. The most difficult challenge seemed to be getting the valve retainers back in, even with the help of a valve spring compressor. Part of it seems to be fat finger syndrome, I was wondering if anyone had any special tricks up their sleeve, other than a dab of grease on the valve stem bottom.

I got the engine all back together yesterday, tried it out a bit, and put it to work this morning on the lawn. Plenty of power and no smoke, though I have been fiddling with the governor to get it to work right. Most of the trouble seems to be slop in the linkage, I looked at both the governor arm to carburetor linkages I had available, and both were worn about the same. I got it working better by putting the ball joint into a vise and carefully squeezed, hammered, and centerpunched various places around the ball to take out most of the slack, then put a little heavy oil on the ball.

224967.jpg

I sold the bagger attachment, but I still have that weird seat on it. Perhaps I will put the extra Ohio Rubber seat I have on it.

GRAEME,
Hows things down your way?
Charlie is still mean as ever cause of the cold and snow he still keeps getting up his way!
TAKE CARE!
ROD

His way... It's okay to just say the arctic circle.
happy.gif

Thanks Jeff baker for guidance on clutch adjustment.
Thanks Steve Blunier for suggestions on other trouble spots to check.
I did make a feeble attempt to separate the H-ring from the shifter plate, but I didn't want to mess it up. With a good bright flashlight maybe I can inspect the cup better.

Rod & Dave,
I'll have you know!!!!!

As of today at 3:30 P.M. There is NO SNOW on the property!
biggrin.gif

I took the loader out and scraped it all up and dumped it on the neighbors side of the line!

Gents need help!Still need help with a 129 engine rebuild.
Had the coil wired wrong, Rod helped with that.
Can't get her to run right. Still back firing and blowing black smoke no power and stalls. After fixed coil tried to start and still seems like timing is wrong.
Set it at .020, and checked to static timing it is were it should be. Pulled head AT TDC both valves closed.
Took breather off and checked valve clearance looks ok, May have to take down again see if timing marks are right, I had double check them.
Not sure what to do next
HELP?
Thanks
Dave S

Dave sounds like you have valve adjustment problems or the carburetor float is out of adjustment. The black smoke sounds like the carb.

Latest posts

Back