• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BILL J. - I'm going with the hunch that you somehow meter the Bon Ami or Comet into the engine by way of the carb while it's running.

In effect what you'd be doing is "Dusting" the engine. Which on diesel engines normally causes low compression, hard starting, oil burning, and other problems. I'd expect the same results on a Kohler.

It's 100% certain that some of the abrasive will end up in the crankcase and in the oil which also lubes your rod bearing. Since the rod bearing has more force on it than the rings & piston impose on the cyl. walls and is also made from softer metal, the rod bore will wear more than the cylinder & rings. Sounds like a good way to throw a rod to me.

If the intent is to manually "scrub" the cyl walls by hand, then engine disassembly is required, in which case you may as well do the job right with a hone.

Smokey Yunick always said the only difference between a professionally built blue-printed Big Block engine and a worn-out engine was a few GRAMS of metal. When you try to wear away more of the metal on purpose, you have to replace something to take up the space that metal occupied.

Another thought, my Best buddy all through HS & College had a '70 240-6 powered Mustang.... One night while out driving around the country the "TEMP" light came on, and shortly afterwards the engine started knocking and stopped... or more correctly seized. The engine had been rebuilt about a year before, new rings & a valve grind, but had always used oil after that. Luckily a friend of ours went by and gave us a ride to my car and I took my buddy home.

Next morning my buddy comes over and picks me up in his Dad's pickup along with ten gal of water, some Stop-Leak, couple quarts of oil. Car started right up and as we expected the water ran out of the hole in the radiator as fast as we could pour it in. Took a few minutes for the Stop-Leak to slow the leak and then we took off for his place 20 miles away. The engine actually sounded different. Week later my Buddy told me the oil burning had almost totally stopped. Now I'm not recommending you over-heat your Kohler to the point of seizure, but there are other ways of removing cyl wall glaze.

Bill- I'm afraid Dennis is right...If you put that abrasive in your engine, it will have the same effect as pouring a tablespoon full of sand in the cylinder and firing it up to mow for a few hours. I'm not trying to discourage you here, but do you really think pouring in a powdery, abrasive cleaning compound will really fix your worn out tired engine in your 109? Especially with an aluminum piston and rod?

Short answer, don't do it.

Better idea: Take a half a day to pull the engine, get a hone, de-glaze the cylinder, and install new rings...Last time I checked rings for a Kohler were $40-50. Not a lot of investment there....

but again; its your engine. Just my 2 cents.
beerchug.gif

Installng a spring assist on my 73.
Is the #1 mounting bracket installed on the rock shaft oriented in the position as shown in the parts look-iup??

Dave S
258122.gif

David S. I just "reinstalled" two of those and if this old memory isn't failing, that's the correct orientation. No. 1 has a lip on it that has to fit under the lift arm that's welded to the rockshaft to prevent it from rotating. But, if memory serves me correctly, I had to move No. 1 to the left to get part No. 3 installed before I could fasten part No. 1 in position. Hope this helps.

It's a 42 inch from blade to blade-3 spindle-for my 67 123- there is up and down movement on the middle/ big spindle-sorry I don't know what part is bad-I want to know if I kneed to spend 300 some odd number of dollars to fix- will it run with slight movement- can't upload pics yet- sorry if that's not enough info

Bill Jamison

put some diesel fuel in your oil and just run the engine and do "NOT" work it. The diesel fuel will clean the engine up great inside. I had a ford ranger 2.8 that had bad valve rattle. I drained all the oil and add 1/2 diesel and oil and ran the engine. Changed the filter and ran it some more at idle. drained everything and installed a fresh oil and filter and had not rattle. I was surprised how much the filters weighted will all the crud the was washed off because of the diesel fuel. Diesel fuel is oil so it won`t hurt the engine if it is not worked.

the issue the truck had was the oil passage to supply oil to the cam was just a small drilled passage at the front of the block and that passage would plug reducing oil flow the the lifters and cam

Bon Ami and Barkeeper's Friend. "Haven't scratched yet".
angel.gif
happy.gif

Matthew P.,
I take it there's no tag on the deck anywhere?

The thing is, there's 2 variations so to speak of that deck parts, and depending on which one you have will dictate which ways you. can go and how little your going to have to spend.

Also, it could just be a matter of taking the spindle off and tightening things up a bit.
It's hard to say since we don't know exactly how much play you have in it.

It could be a worn spindle cup, the spindle bearing assembly or the main bearing assembly itself.
All of which are still available and would run ya less than 100 bucks.
Spindle assembly ST745 68.00
Spindle Bearing Assembly repair kit 33.00
Spindle cup 11.00
And so on.

Charlie, Do you you have a breakdown of the belt pulley attachment? cleaned her all up, and I see oil seeping out of the splines around the seal. time to order up some more seals.

Back