• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrade

displayname
Mike Frade
Harry, I won't be going to the meet in CT., got enough project tractors and attachments for now. But tell Matt we said HELLO!!! Now if you could say Jim C. was to be there,, then maaayyyybbee....

Does anybody have any literature or installation instructions of installing a rear belt pulley attachment off a rear pto on a narrow frame cub?

John B.
It's pretty straight forward, Unbolt the rear PTO flange, bolt on the right angle gearbox.
thumbsup.gif

recently broke the drive belt that goes from front pto to the rear gear box for a tiller. cant really justify spending $88 on belt just because its an odd size that no one can order, especially for as little as i use the tiller. i know a few people have changed the pulley so they can use different belts. does anyone know what size belt and pulley they've used? any info is greatly appreciated

also for those of you who have changed the pulleys did you notice much difference in performance. the tiller doesnt go quite as deep as id prefer but otherwise im very happy with theway it tills as it generally does a great job pulverizing the dirt

Mark,

Thank you for that information. I have always thought that the 1250 Nightmare cruised down the street pretty well. I did notice the reverse condition begin to show up last fall, but didn't thing much of it. This spring, I have noticed the problem to be more pronounced. I'll pull the fenders and check it out. I am glad to know from you, and others, that the transmission is probably still quite strong, and minor repairs/adjustments are needed for proper performance.

Michael, UNDER EDIT: <strike>I forget who it was that posted this</strike> David Kirk came up with this many years ago <strike> but this</strike> it is an idler pulley setup <strike>(I believe it was home made)</strike> that would mount under the frame to allow use of two shorter belts in place of the one long tiller belt.

Here 's David's post on it:

"By David Kirk - For me it's Hydro-Therapy (Dkirk) on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 07:50 pm:

Kraig,

Dont mean to brag, but that was my invention. I called it a floating idler and it was posted in 1999. It is designed for using the tiller on a CC with two shorter belts instead of that one long, pricey belt. We made this up using a front wheel hub and two pulleys, bolted to a pivoted shaft. The support plate bolts about mid-way along the frame, approximately in the area of the foot rests. Worked perfectly...no belt jumping and no slippage."

I have no further details on it. However, I would assume it was designed to mount in a location that would allow use of a mower deck belt as the front belt as that belt would be easy to source.

258049.jpg

UNDER EDIT: I knew there was another one posted at one time. I found it in the archives, here is the LINK

Arron actually makes a center pulley conversion for tillers that uses 2 belts. It's a tad more than 88 bucks though.

Under Edit,
Aaron's in on the same link as Kraig posted.

Charlie, when I found that in the archives I recognized it as Aaron's handy work. I didn't find it on his website though. I'm still using an old 17" tube monitor at home and his website has been optimized for widescreen and it's hard to view on this old monitor... UNDER EDIT: I noticed that.
happy.gif

Michael (Boots),

Just bite the bullet and buy the belt. It will last you as long as you want to use the tiller. We need to keep buying those unique belts to keep them active so they don't go NLA in MTD land.

Mike - I'd probably be there if Jim C was gonna. Actually Kenny W will be there with Matt.

Michael-

As far as the depth of the tilling...it's my understanding that you have approx. 7 inches of travel in the lift system. If the tiller is set to be raised 3" then you will have a 4" tilling depth and so on. In other words, when you have it set to till deep it won't raise for travel as much and vice versa.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks Charlie. and is that pulley the same pulley seyup that would be on a Farmall Cub? I was thinking about swapping seals and painting before mounting.

Harry, I assumed it would be Kenny. I've never met him before, it might be fun to have Kenny give us "the rest of the story" of your days in Jim C's garage!!
feint.gif
fence.gif

Mike F., here's a photo of Kenny Weimann from back in June 2002 at Joe Motuzick's "Mow Day." However, after nearly 11 years he probably looks a bit different now...

258054.jpg

Thanks Kraig! I was just trying remember where I was 11 years ago... We had just left New Mexico and moved over to Boonville IN.. I guess I'll need to make some time to get to a "local" show and meet some more of the great folks who "play" with old tractors!

Mike, I've never met Kenny myself. I've exchanged emails and posts on here with him but that was a long time ago. Please say hello to him for me if you get a chance to met up with him.
happy.gif

Michael, I used David Kirk's idea to use the two short belts on my tiller. I don't know what the jack shaft came off. It was one to those things I had laying around waiting for a project. It's worked for me for several years.

258056.jpg

258057.jpg

258058.jpg

Mike and Kraig - I sure wish I could be there for the show. I might just be in the area a few weeks from now. Do you suppose they would postpone until I get there? Hey, last I heard Kenny picked up an NOS K341 that he's keeping just for the right unit to come along. Now I wonder what that might be?

Back