• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 02, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DAN BARNETT - Park your Cubbie some place you don't mind having the floor get dirty and that's easy to sweep and let it set 2-3 days in out of the weather. The mud will dry, then when you start the Cubbie up and drive away I bet 90% of that mud comes off the tires on the first revolution of the wheels. The stuff on the wheels & weights might be harder to remove. Then use your leaf blower or air hose and blow the dried mud out.

As a son of a Midwestern HOG farmer, I've had a LOT of practice running tractors thru mud and cleaning them up. On some of the paths up to the hog pastures the ruts would get so deep the drawbars on the M's & H's would drag, and when it rained they filled with water.

Thanks for everyones input yesterday on my fuel pump question.

I have a 44C deck for my 782. I have toyed with the idea of finding a different deck. The C series seems to always leave a slight strip from lack of over lapping blades. What is the best deck Cub made that would fit on here? Thanks for your input.

I am building a tiller jackshaft this weekend....I'll take and post some pics......

Here's a link to Matt's website (that Paul mentioned below): LINK Once you get to his website click on "Attachments" button along the left side of the page. Then click on the "Category 0 1A Tiller" button along the top of the page. Then scroll down about half way down for a bunch of photos of the two belt setup.

Dennis F. I'm not really to worried about it, your right most the mud will fall off when I use it again, and things are really wet around here still so no point in cleaning it up yet, but once things dry out I'll take the pressure washer to it. I just find the idea that you should never wash a tractor odd. I pressure washed my 149 before I pulled the engine, I find working on clean things way easier and better results going back together. all my tractors will get a good wash in the summer and before they are put away for the winter although at that time they are blown off with compressed air.

Daniel G - nice looking 147

My 109 has been assigned to camp duty this year and I used it to mow around my garden last week.

258065.jpg

258066.jpg

258067.jpg

I took off my premium seat before taking the 109 up to this property as I didn't want any "friends" taking it or a mouse using it as a chew toy. I've got my tattered old seat that came with the tractor and dug it out and put it on the tractor the other day. Trust me - even a tattered worn seat is many times more comfortable than a slab of wood...
biggrin.gif

Also if you are doing a 100 point inspection of the place, note the outhouse in the back ground. Better setting on that solid wooden seat than one on an IHCC...
whistling.gif
fan.gif

greenthumb.gif

Harry, you're heading east?? HMmmm.. I'm heading south to LA.. depending on the weekend, maybe Matt could host a bull session? LOL..

Steven Bauer

The *C decks do have some overlap in the blade paths when the tractor is moving in a straight line. My 44C would leave strips of uncut grass when turning. A check of the blades showed a 3/8" gap between the blade tips. I put new Gator blades on and the gap was down to about 1/8". In fact, I had to repair the spindles last year because there was enough play that the blades would actually touch. End result, no uncut strips of grass.

I am not an expert, but IIRC, some on here have said that the 44C is one of the best decks for these tractors. More modern decks are deeper and may be better at pulling a vacuum, but they are not available, nor is there much room under the tractor frame to install a deeper mower deck.

DOUG B. - If a little oil can leak out of a non-pressurized gearbox seal you can darn well bet 2500-3000 PSI water can and will get it that seal when you pressure wash it.

I bought my CC 72 in January '81. My first project was a rattle-can paint job. My compressor at the time wasn't big enough to even run a spary gun. It was about 7-8 gal and 3/4 HP for maybe 2 CFM. One nice Saturday after I changed the oil in it I ran it up to the coin op. car wash 2-3 blocks away and pressure washed it to prep for the paint job. I washed it up pretty good. Ran it home and pulled up in front of the shop and blew what little water was left off with the compressor. Something caused me to pull the dipstick. The fresh engine oil looked like a chocolate milk shake. So I did another oil change. I left the engine running while I washed it which was probably the only thing that kept it from blowing up on the way home.

That engine was only 3-4 yrs old and didn't last a whole lot longer. Ran about 2 yrs when it started blowing oil out the breather. I rebuilt the breaher several times and finally built the K241 that ran for 1400 hours. The K241 was NEVER pressure washed. Think I pulled the tins and sprayed Brake-Clean on it and blew it off a time or two.

So yeah, If you have the money for Kohler rebuild parts, pressure wash away. I have a parts washer in my shop and EVERYTHING I put back together IS clean too. It gets completely taken apart, cleaner then put back together. Some stuff even gets repainted.

WAY too many places where water gets into these old tractors where you would NEVER suspect it. You work on them enough and you'll learn where those places are.

Hello all, I am doing a little mower deck overhaul on my 42 inch deck (I believe it is 42). The main spindle seems to not be 100% tight with some up/down movement. I know they are not supposed to move a lot, but it crucial that I fix it now? If there is a part that is bad, what part? I have seen complete replacements, but the ones I have seen were for crazy prices, and there is no way I will pay for that.

Matthew P.
Your not helping us much here!
You don't know what size your deck is.
You do know that the spindle is loose, maybe.
You think something might be bad, but your not sure.

And we're supposed to know what size deck, what part is maybe broke and how to fix it, with no picture, no model number and if it fits the 123 that's listed in your profile or not.

Little help here!

The guys on here are good, but seriously!
worthless.gif

LOL Now Charlie, go easy on him. We were are new at one time. I've been here years and still don't post everything right. Although, that's probably a reflection of my intelligence...

Raining and flooding around here know STL. Plenty of time for cub maintanence.

Quick question - anyone ever used or heard of using Bon Ami (or Comet) to deglaze an engine's cylinder walls. What about in a worn Kohler engine?

I know this sounds nutty - LOL. I asked my Wife/Boss if we had any and she had just seen part of a clip on TV talking about different cleaning agents on could use. When I asked about Bon Ami - she asked if they mentioned that on the TV clip. I said - of course not, this is for use in an engine and ...
flame.gif

What I'm thinking about is giving it a try in my worn 10 hp engine on my 109. I think it needs a set of rings and deglazing, but heck - maybe this might help. Don't know if it would hurt.

Mostly - I'd just like to hear from anyone that has heard or used Bon Ami in an engine.

Kraig - I've tried to pull up Matt's website several times and for whatever reason it wont come up. It starts loading but never finishes. Could just be me but curious. Sounds like a good site. Thanks

Matt's website loads fast and good for me

And he has a lot of great CUB info there

Back