• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 24, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis; I got the fever so bad i have some potatoes planted, Mustard, Lettuce, Kale, and onions coming up. Hope to be eating fresh salads soon. The 102 with turning plow and 124 with tiller have been working hard.

LUTHER - Dad never planted his potatoes until Good Friday. Old Wives Tale I guess. But then your quite a ways south from where He lived.

His garden was just the "Staples of Life" as He referred to it, potatoes, sweet corn, and tomatoes. Every year it got a bit bigger too!

Of ALL the years growing up on the farm I only ever remember ONE afternoon plowing with his '51 M that's out in the shop. The 450 was "struggling" with the 4-14's & plow harrow in sod, wouldn't hold RPM in high side of 2nd (about 3-3/4 mph) but would in low side of 3rd (about 3-3/8 mph). We traded Horses, He ran the 450 and I plowed with the M & 3-14 IH #8 plow. I was running in 3rd (about 3-3/4 mph) till I had to head to the gas barrel, then forgot I was in 4th gear running down the headland until I was all the way across the field plowing in 4th gear, just a bit over 5 mph. It just BARKED a little louder on the clay hills at the far end of the field. The M has always had big sleeves & pistons and would walk away from most Super M's. I sure miss the sound of a couple old 4-cyl. FARMALL's earning their keep!

DONALD, TRISTAN - I'd sure like to put a set of V61's on the 70 & 72, but I don't want 16-6.50's, They make a 6.00 X 6 that I'd put on if I could find a couple sets of 6" dia. frt wheels. I looked a year ago, guess maybe I should look again. I NEVER do anything the easy way!

Thanks Charlie for the installation manual I read it and it doesn't mention anything about the rear PTO engagement lever being a problem. But it does show the platform mounting plate using the same mounting bolts that the shifter plate and the lever detent bracket uses. Does some one have a rear PTO and fenders on an original? Thanks Dave

David, there are mods for the fender mounts in the PTO Installation Manual. This manual does not actually cover the Original, however you should be able to get dimensions from the 70/100 section. Hope this helps.

David, I've been looking through my photo archive to see if I can verify if any mods are required for the fender/PTO lever. The brackets for fenders on the 70/100 set lower than the fender support bracket on an Original. It looks like the engagement lever for the PTO might just clear the fender support bracket.
dunno.gif

187315.jpg

187316.jpg

It looks like the slotted bracket is held on with a rear shifter cover bolt. makes a guy think that pan has to be modified cause it uses the same bolt.
happy.gif

Dave, I don't think I'd want to cut the fender support bracket in that area, as the rear where the cut out is for the lift bar is already a weak point and every one I've seen has cracked there. If it were me I think I'd rather mod the lever and it's bracket slightly. The only guy that I know that has both fenders and a rear PTO on his Original doesn't post here anymore. I've emailed him to see if he'll send me a photo and or info.

I dug a little deeper into my archives and found these that were taken by Michael Gault (I took the top photo Michael took the bottom two) at Plow Day 11 of an Original that Mike Masheris had there. From the other photos that I posted it looked like the cuts would have to be in the vertical flange which would really weaken that support bracket, but this shows that the cuts would be behind that.

187318.jpg

187319.jpg

187320.jpg

Latest posts

Back