• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 23, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry-

Yep, head bolts should always be retorqued after the first half-hour or so of run time.

Thanks Charlie-

That's exactly what I needed. I like the zerks and may copy your work. I also noticed the holes in the frame (on my tractor) are fairly large. I assume the frankenstein bolt has a shoulder to center things up.

Jeff B.
I've always been a firm believer that grease is my best friend when it comes to any moving part on machinery. So the more spots I can get grease to, will only make things better.

You can do what ya want, but Anti-Seize would not be my choice for that rod.
Over time, it dries out and will more than likely do more binding up that lubricating. JMHO

Wayne S.
They fit the holes pretty well.
187257.jpg

coffee.gif
lurking.gif

Got some snow here last night, hopefully the last for the season... Time to donate the "non-yellow" snowblower to a needy family..

Grease is your friend, especially on mower deck spindles. When I was old enough to be turned loose mowing the lawn on the Cub Cadet 125 my parents bought new in 1969, my father insisted that I grease the spindle bearings on the 42" deck before each use. Today I own that CC 125 and mower deck and the spindle bearings are original and I still grease them before each use.

Bruce Nolte,

Good advice on rebuilding the K321. Having the engine out with the pan off begs for me to inspect it and rebuild it, however for a rototiller tractor it may just get a set of rings and the rod cap file down a little bit to snug it up.

Kraig M & Jeff Baker,

In response to the non-standard 1200 rearend cover, if it was from a farmall cub would it not have a hole for the rear PTO shaft? (I never owned a farmall cub, but I believe all of them had the rear PTO on them standard) IMHO it is just somebody's home designed modification to the tractor.

Rob, before I posted my speculation about the rear cover plate, I used the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup to check.
happy.gif
You could be correct, and it's just a mod by the PO. I was hoping that Paul B. would post a comment, as he has or has had a few Farmall Cubs.

187263.jpg

The Parts Lookup is an amazing resource...

Kraig,

From your research it looks like your correct. I just don't see why anyone would have wanted a farmall cub without the rear pto for the belly mower. We all have seen alot of owners modifications over the years on our cubs. On my 1650, somebody decided to plumb in a oilfiler by drilling and tapping the fuel pump block off plate. How dumb was that, like any oil flowed thru that pipe!

Thanks Matt! Keep hoping there is a way around that one. Never heard of it in the new car market.

Rob, yep, stupid PO mods, seen more than a few myself... The Farmall Cub was commonly used for row crop cultivation and small scale farming. I always thought that the rear PTO was standard but now I'm not sure. I believe in later years it was standard but during the early years it might have been an option.
dunno.gif

Paul B., Anyone, ?

To help with the cover subject, mine "appears" to be original but not sure, the shape is the same the fluid level hole is in the correct spot for a gear drive.
The holes for the "pins" seem to be a factory drill. Here is another photo
187266.jpg

Numbered Lo-Boy 154,185,184 rear cover perhaps????

Also if it helps the 1200 build date was sept. 1976

The numbered Lo-Boys have a different P/N for the rear plate than the Farmall Cub, and show a hole for fill, they have a different P/N than the 1200 and the fill plug is in a different location at least as shown in the parts drawing. Still a mystery.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Pretty sure the PTO was an option on Farmall cub, or at least it was on the A/B/BN.

For that mater you could order most Farmalls any way you wanted. No hydraulics, no PTO/belt pulleys and on the later ones no T/A. If you ordered enough of them they would even spray them any color you liked.

Whenever i get a rear cover gasket it has two extra holes that would line up with these holes we are talking about here. I always wondered what they were for. now I know

Just ordered a light switch that'll handle the extra lights on the 149... It is a cub lo-boy unit... (sorry, it's from "across the street")
187269.jpg

I needed to switch not only the headlights, but strobe, and rear facing light... I hope this works...

Scott, Years ago there was a wireing diagram floating around here for that switch.

Latest posts

Back