Archive through March 08, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heated the the bottom side of the footrest screws, and they came right out. I wouldn't recommend this way on a good paint job.

When your job is ready for assembly, remember to coat the screw threads with a mixture of WD-40, and { I prefer Hi-Temp Copper Anti-seize} anti-seize. This step is important for the future removal of the fender pan, to service such items as the hydro pump, and related parts.

I tried my Dremel Tool with cutting wheel, and notched out a slot, in which I thought I could get away with using a chisel and ballpeen hammer to knock the rusted screw loose. I had no success because the hardware was just too tight, and would not come loose. I simply ground the screw head away, and the stud fell through to the ground.

I was looking at my front tires today on the 147 and they didn't look like they were the same size, so I put them side by side, and here's what I got.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/IMG_20140310_135829_zps160286a1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/IMG_20140310_135844_zps0c3e4274.jpg

The block of wood is to keep it from rolling.

To make it look like it's not an optical illusion-

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/drglinski/Cub%20Cadet%20147/IMG_20140310_140008_zps76e0bcc8.jpg

The tire that is still mounted on the cub is new April 2012. (new like when I bought and had it mounted.)
The tire free rolling (that goes on the opposite side) is new last week.
They have the same PSI.
They are the same on the sidewall- 16X6.50-8. Same manufacturer.

What I was thinking was does the tire wear down some and eventually form more of a balloon shape like the April 12 one does? I recall the April 12 one looking like the March 14 one when I bought it two years ago.

Thanks

Frank C how long did it take to plow the snow with the rake on that tractor?

happy.gif
I was "scarifying" and missing the rear blade that I let go to Nova Scotia a few years ago.
bash.gif
happy.gif

Daniel G - yes, my experience is that tires can, over time, become balloon shaped. I had this happen to a set of Firestone 23 deg ag tires and the additional diameter caused the tire to lightly touch the rear of the mower deck (on another color tractor). I've also got some likely original front tires on my 109 and not only are they round-ish across the top, but one of them has a slight bulge near the top corner. They will get replaced one of these days - but for now, they hold air...
dizzy.gif

BILL "QQ" J. - That's always been my definition of a "Good tire".... if it hold air. Tread is "optional". On rear drive tires, I'm a little more critical.

Dennis F - I've still got that set of 23 deg Firestones, though badly cracked and somewhat ballooned when aired-up, but one of these days when I've got the 126 at my house (it's on camp grass mowing duty), I'm going to tube those tires and put them on the 126.

I've also got a 3 point hitch with spring assist waiting for an install too. I scavenged an electric lift assy from my parts 1250, but don't know if I am going to put in the 126 or 109.

Thanks everyone for the input on getting the bolts loose on my footrests. It'll be a few days before I can get back to it, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Don T - I could probably get at the pump without removing the fender pan, but I need to do a lot of cleaning in there and replace some seals, too, so I'll just wait until I get the fenders off. Thanks!

Greg Lippert

If you have plans to take the pump apart to install new seals , let me know because there are a few pins in there that will be an issue if you don`t know how to remove them. I will tell you how when you get there in your seal replacement .

Latest posts

Back