• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 27, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter, Dave,

I have also used QL drive line parts in an xx8/9 machine with good results.

You know what happens when a goof ball gets bored?

Garage sale lumber- $5.00
Auction winch- $13.00
Screws & Glue-$3.00
Easy way to lift a Cub- Priceless!
36262.jpg

Charlie,
Yup, that's some old stuff! That pic was taken about 4-5 years ago. I figured why bust my hump when I have a "Few good men" handy.

(Message edited by thoffman on July 02, 2006)

I have a one-owner 1965 1000. It's a great little tractor, but gawd is it noisy! I replaced the muffler a few years ago, but it's still too loud. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

can someone tell me what a base 782 weighs without weights/deck? I want to say 1200 lbs, but don't remember.

TIA!

Jim

855# including a 175# operator and full fuel tank....right from the product literature.

Chris B,
Your 1000 was made between 10/1974 TO 9/1979.
Not knowing what muffler you put on it, it's hard to tell you what to do to solve your problem.
If you installed the correct muffler, then that's what your gonna have noise wise that is.

Jim,
36269.jpg

36270.jpg

Howdy, Gentlemen!
I'm new to this forum and I hope to learn how to better take care of my Ol' 129 Cubbie!

Nothing fancy, I just mow about 2 acres with a 42" deck. I was reading some of the recent posts and there was some chat about "smoke" coming out of the valve breather cover vent being "bad".

Would someone please explain to me why this is bad a bad thing and if/how can I correct it?

TIA,
RDW
happy.gif

Peter, Davide, what do you guys mean by "rag" joints? Is it something like the rubber disk between the driveline and input plate?

And Ryan, funny you should mention that, my 102 started smoking out of the side valve cover vents today...It usually means time for a gasket change...does anyone else have any suggestions?

Trevor F,
Here's the rag joint right behind the fan.
36274.jpg

Ryan W.
Here's the breather assembly, They get plugged with gunk over time and even break so it's a good idea to clean up real good from time to time. And sometimes even replace the parts.
Bad/cracked/worn rings, valve guides and old age can be some causes.
36273.jpg

(Message edited by Cproctor on July 02, 2006)

Hey Charlie, I had those on my Simplicity 725 before I came to my senses and bought a Cub....

Out of curiosity, is there a way to dial in the differential? My left wheel seems to spin all of the time.....

Thanks!

Charlie,
My mistake--it is a 100. I know when it was built because I was 12 years old when I got it. I'm now 53.
As for the noise, I was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket muffler that would tame this thing. It didn't bother me when I was a kid in the country, but as a middle-ager in the suburbs, my neighbors rebel at the noise when my grandkids are tracing the fence-line at wide-open-throttle in my childhood novelty. The brie-eaters have little patience for their wine glasses vibrating off the patio table from the thunder of my 10 HP mini-tractor.
Yes, I did install the muffler correctly, and it is no more, nor less noisy than it was before I installed it. Probably the old muffler was operating perfectly as designed and it was only me who has deteriorated.
Anyway, if any of the Cub aficionados have suggestions for taming my Cadet, I'd love to hear of it. I'll post a photo or two when I get out the camera. I did a full off-frame restoration of my beloved Cub about 10 years ago and she still looks pretty nice.

Chris B,
That being the case, The only way I know of would be to add one of these things on it. They do quiet them down a lot.
36280.jpg

Or head down to your local small engine shop and snoop around for what they have for aftermarket mufflers.
100's are loud no matter what.

OK...It's "newbie" question time.
I've got a 127 that is a weekly driver/fixer. After having it for 20+ years, I decided this spring to service the hydro. After emptying out the quart or so of fluid that was in the tranny/rear end, and replacing it with Hy-Tran up to the PROPER level, the tranny sprung a leak. The seal at the control lever (trunion shaft ay.?) seems to be the culprit. Does anyone know of an easy way to replace the oil seal on this shaft short of disassembling the tranny? I don't mind so much having to work on the old Cub every time I use it, but major disassembly is making a new Z-Force look increasingly attractive.
Thanks for any input,
Vince

Trevor F:

I don't know where the term "rag joint" originates from. It has been circulating for some time now. The Proper Term listed in the the IH Parts Manual is: Flex Disc Coupling. Which ever you decide to use, it is the rubber circular discs on the drive shaft.

thumbsup_old.gif

Vince R:

First, Welcome to the forum.
thumbsup_old.gif

To answer your question, unfortunately, to replace the control shaft seal would require dismantling the hydro unit.

36284.jpg

Vince,

1 quart of Hy-Tran?---- should be over a gallon.

If you need to work on/repair your Cub every time you use it, perhaps its time to refurbish areas that are worn out from years of service,
I think then you would have a much more reliable machine. Kind of like an automoble that has had minimal maintenance and at 70-80k has all kinds of repairs needed.

Latest posts

Back