• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 27, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on a project using cub axle shafts and need to cut them down. Are the shafts hardened or should I be able to cut and machine them?

Francis T. -

1) Turn your caps lock off, please. You don't need to "shout."

2) Refer to the chart in about the middle of the page at https://www.ihcubcadet.com/ - it tells you which are wide/narrow.

3) You might also want to read the FAQ, which can be found at the link above.

Keith W.They are case hardened.The outside is hardened but the inside of the shaft is not.No problem machining or rifle drilling or that sort of thing.

Sad News --

Folks,

Many of you didn't know him personally, and many of you did meet him and like me loved him and were loved back by him. One of the most giving people that I know, Harold Schramm died today in Delaware where he was to teach a class in Statistical Process Analysis. Not one to ever let his mind stop working, nor his heart stop giving, Harold spent a good deal of his life with the Cub Cadet and the Cadet line at International Harvester. The original Cub Cadet's drive train between the engine and the transaxle is Harold's in addition to so many many other things that you and I enjoy profoundly. No one could possibly forget Harold's smile and delightful greeting as he showed his Experimental Cub Cadet. Some of you have seen it and him in person and I know that you know what I mean. What you may not know about Harold is that he was a husband and a father who was loved and cherished by his wife Mary and both of their children and two grandchildren. He was gentle, caring, active, accepting and generous. Once I know the time of his funeral arrangements, I will let you know.

If you have any pictures of Harold, Mary and his kids would love to have them. Please email me or call for their address. If you want to send flowers, I should have the details by tomorrow.

Hank

Hi I have an IH 782 with the iron rear end. It has the series 1 Kt17 with out the oil filter and I think it is not fully pressurized. The thing runs purfect, but I am using it alot, and year round.I would like to figure out the best plan when the motor needs to be rebuilt. I have heard some less than favorable comments about this motor . Does anyone have any ideas on a better replacement. this motor seems to fit so nice, and the tin work makes it quite quiet to use.I Know the magnum18was used in the 782,but the two motors look very different. any advice would be really apreiciated
Thanks John

Keith-
If IH was watching their co$t, the bushing wear area and the splined area would only need heat treatment. Best thing to do is run a file over the area you want to cut. If the file "does it's thing" then I'd say cut away.

This request is a tough one. I am looking for the manual of the steering schematics for a 1975-1985 model MTD riding lawn mower my grandfather owns. Don't laugh but this is all I know about the machine. It's red and the steering column is completely verticle. We couldn't find a model number. Sorry.
If someone could point me to a place that might carry the old manuals I would appreciate it.

I can't adequately express my sadness- Nick and I had the honor to meet and chat with Harold on Friday, and he was everything Will claims... :-(

19973.jpg

John F.-

Magnum 18 is a great engine, and one out of a later 1806, 1810, 1811, etc. will fit right in.

Hank,

Sorry to hear that, we talked for about a half hour on Friday and hearing the design accounts of the Cub Cadet line 1st hand was extremely interesting. Sympathies to his family and friends.

Rock and Roll...
Heavy Metal...
Smoke and Fire...
all in one quarter-million-pound package!

19976.jpg

Sorry to hear about Harold, Amanda, Cyrus and I spent about 30 minutes talking to him at the Auburn show this spring.

Keith-

I'll second Wyatt's statement, but take it one step further...

If you need to cut that axle, chuck it in your lathe, and mount a 4" disk grinder with cutoff blade in the toolpost, and have-at-it... I haven't found much of anything so hard I couldn't zip through it with that! :-}

John S:

The KT-17 Series I is No Longer Available. If you were to rebuild, it would have to be updated to the Series II version. The Series II is still available and so are the individual parts. The M-18 (Magnum) is basically the same as a KT-17 with the exception, that the M-18 has Electronic Ignition and has a external Oil Filter.

HANK - Glad to see You post here again. Sorry it couldn't have been a happier topic. My Wife & I offer Our sympathy's to the Schramm Family. I never had the pleasure of meeting Harold but I sure do admire His work!
WYATT - If IH LVL was anything like FARMALL the whole axle got carburized (case hardened) We had 4-5 furnaces at FARMALL that You could have drove a pair of Cub Cadets side-by-side through with 44" or 50" decks attached! I Always loved "The Gear Lab" after heat-treat from My old Production scheduling days at FARMALL. They always did Destructive testing to the most pieces of the one part You had the fewest to spare of! The "FILE TEST" is the Industry Standard for Machinability! ;-)

Terry L.

Go to the "Red Power" topic at the bottom of the main page for some pics.

Hank, sorry to hear that sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Harold, but I, like Denny, sure admire his work. Please, give my condolences to his family.

Dave K2, thanks for the photo!

Latest posts

Back