• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 18, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WYATT - You need a RED CUB CADET to go with Your SHINY trailer & new red Pickup.
thumbsup_old.gif

Wyatt- there is a company that makes a cushion reciver tube if i remember right. think i saw it advertised in one of the farm magazines.

Hugh-
Shouldn't need one of those rubber-packed contraptions, a properly built & properly loaded trailer shouldn't "trailer" or give a jerking motion to a vehicle. Most times a trailer will jerk because it's loaded too rear-heavy, loaded over it's capacity, etc.

The nice thing about the CushinPull DMI's is that one lever lets the drawbar loose so you can line up a trailer if you back within 10" or so of the trailer's hitch. Sure they've got those goofy contraptions that do that on a reciever, but that's pretty much what they are.

Right now my biggest issue is rewiring my trailer brakes on the trailer, I wired the trailer "Keifer style" (power and brake wires reversed) and now I've got to fix it back to normal.

Wyatt,

Nice truck! Toreador Red? My '99 is the same color only it has the harvest gold lower trim. Of course it has the cracked drivers door and the infamous rust starting on the bottom of the doors. I wish I had the 5.4L the 4.6L does not like trailers. Other than that I love it!

Jared/Wyatt,

My 97 has the cracked doors, no rust yet at 98.5k

The 4.6L does fine with up to 3 Cubs on my trailer, plus "stuff".....but you have to lock it out of OD. I get 12-13 mpg pulling a loaded trailer on the highway (locked out of OD).......but don't get me wrong, the 5.4L would be nice!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

(2wd, 4.6L, auto, Ext. cab, short bed, 3.55 limited slip rear, factory towing package)

The 5.4L and 3.73's are pretty nice.
23236.jpg

Jared-
The pickup's the Dark Torreador Red with the Charcoal interior. I'd have REALLY liked the colors you've got, you probably have the tan interior too. If I had the choice I'd have gotten platinum gray over metallic tan or the torreador red over metallic tan, tan interior.

Wyatt,

Yes mine has the tan interior. The window sticker calls the color of mine medium toreador red. I've got the regular 3.55 axle (no differential lock). You would think that the locking differential would come with the 4x4 off road package.

Jared-
I'm REALLY glad I don't have the limited slip, can't stand them in a pickup, especially in the winter. If I need the diff to lock, I'll just do it the old fashoned way, run the E-brake, works every time.

My '90 has the off road package, can't figure out what went on with the ordering of the axles, the front axle tag's a 3L55 (3.55 limited slip) but the rear's open. It's great in the slop, but in the winter, on ice, it doesn't want to do anything but go straight!

I'm very happy with the limited slip in mine, especially in the winter. It's tight enough to be usefull, but not so tight as to create handling problems. Moving from my Ranger without and my 150 with was a big difference!!!!!

Of course, that's 2wd, shift on the fly 4wd might change that thinking too......BUT, for what I do with my truck justifying the extra $$$ and maintenance that 4wd carries with it can be tough.....I just don't get into spots that need 4wd that often, and in the winter I just slow down some or even better...don't go.

Steve-
You're 100% right, I remember as a kid Grandpa taking me out in the winter in his GMC High Sierra 2wd places I wouldn't take a tractor today, he never had anything but 2wd. I think he said it best, 4wd just gets you stuck further. With my '90 F250, 4wd was engaged maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and at least two of those was usually a time when I shouldn't have been out anyway. The nice thing about 4wd I like, and use most, is the low range. If I have to jokey my trailer around much that's what I like to use.

I was looking for a 2wd pickup, but the fella that sells pickups that I trust (and where I bought) had this F150, a C1500 with the 4.3, and a S10 w/ the 4.3. All were nice, but this one was well maintained with all records, plus I was looking for an F150 anyways. And who's going to pull a trailer loaded with ANYTHING in my area . . . to get out of town there's only a few options, two county roads and a state highway that leave town going up a steep hill, or the river!

Speaking of 4wd and since Thanksgiving's in a few days. I'm extremely thankful that Ford quit using that @!#* Twin Traction Beam front suspension!!

Wyatt now ya know how the guys felt when they finally quit making the straight drop axle...then they just cut it in half and added 2 pivots , best way I ever seen to wear tires in a hurry with a load on the bed plus it wouldn't hang a curve fer s***!
23322.gif

Here's my combo. Ferd 1 ton dually crew cab diesel 4X4 with 24' enclosed trailer. Wish the thing had a Cummins. I'm not real fond of the powerstroke :-(
23731.jpg

My hauler......

24305.jpg

'97 F-150 2wd, 4.6L auto w/3.55 limited slip, factory trailering.

Just turned 100k on the way to work yesterday....

My Cub hauler, or in the case of the task depicted in the photo a Cadet hauler. A 2001 Isuzu Rodeo.
24308.jpg

Here's my version of the "Cub Hauler" I'd love to have.

Imagine pulling into a IH feature show with this setup!
24313.jpg

Here is my Cub hauler- I love it; it is my first vehicle.Sorry it took so long for me to get this up here; this my first sucessful attempt out of about a thousand to post a picture)
24387.jpg

With just under a week left until the Illinois Tollway Authority raises tolls, I thought I'd make sure that everyone is aware that the tolls are going up on the Illinois Tollway, and they're getting especially high for those with trailers.

The Chicago Tribune stated that even a car with a single axle trailer would be charged as a "medium truck". Having an I-PASS won't help, either...

See http://www.illinoistollway.com/pls/portal/url/ITEM/C221F47A1209478B915AFA9BA50C000E for the new rate structure.

Latest posts

Back