• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 14, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken & Dale

That dual looks pretty clean. Kinda just along for the ride. Needs one of my 175# monster weights in it to get it on the ground. Nice plowing job though. I even see a coulter on that plow. Course there is no debris to clog it.

Hey Everybody!

A month or so ago, someone mentioned something about CC brake shoes, and I said I'd check with one of my buddies at a major airbrake manufacturer. He took a look into it, and checked the types of places that'd source an average-joe CC'er with materials, and made recommendations. Note: this guy is a professional, the real McCoy, regularly designs brake systems and specs drum, disk, and lining materials, and solves all sorts of problems with really large equipment- most often it's railroad, but also serious hoisting equipment, elevators, etc., so if you wish to argue, you'd best have your research done! :)

---
Adhesive:
3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive DP-420, comes in tubes (it's a two-part epoxy) to use. Try to push both cylinders down the same depth (not equal amounts) and then mix the epoxy together.
It requires a light clamping of the parts while curing.
Allow the epoxy to cure for 24 hrs.

Brake shoe materials:
Classic brake lining materials for low-temperature applications include leather and hardwoods. they're inexpensive, easy, and produce excellent results for low-speed applications.

Where high temperature operation is required, real brake material is recommended.
There are a few suitable materials listed in McMaster Carr:
-Molded lining, for rivit or bonding, with friction coefficient of 0.445:
-Non-metallic, with max rubbing speed 3000 fpm at 250 psi with max temp 400F
and also
-Semimetallic 5000 fpm at 150 psi and 500F max.

Available in:
3/16" thick X 2" wide is $3.87 per foot
3/8" thick X 2" wide is $7.49 per foot

Many more sizes and types are available at similar prices.

At 19mph (with your 23" tires and 8" disks), the brake disk is turning at only a fraction of these materials' rated speeds, and since it's not a highway vehicle or under continuous braking load, it's extremely unlikely that you'd ever approach the 300F temperature range.

For those willing to experiment, start with the classic oak shoe, and if the friction coefficient isn't high enough for your liking, either increase leverage or apply a layer of leather to the oak. Oak/leather brake shoes are still a popular combination for equipment that has been operating reliably for upwards of a century... it is the tried-and-true basis for many antique machines, and is still quite favored especially for machines that require modulatable braking under high-leverage linkages.

Using non-metallic or semi-metallic compounds, just pick the right thickness, use the DP420 according to instructions, and clamp the pad (or shoe) so that the compound is firmly pressed against the backing, then let it cure for a full 24 hours. Once it's cured, trim off the excess lining to fit the backing, and you're done.

Bryan,
Serious as a heart attack! Straight from the Cub board on Yahooie! snicker
I told him only if he was from tennessee, could he mow waist high grass with a 7 HP Cub!

Ken-
I got it at Wheeler's Auto Supply in Waterloo, IA. It comes in a big tube rather than a can or bottle.

19580.jpg

Dave -- McM doesn't have lining that is "exact" thickness as the cub brakes , it has to be milled to the right thickness after it's glued and set. McM recomends a 2 part epoxy according to the brakelining manufacture and it's only $100 per quart , I forget the name though.

I don't reckon any of the brakes that I lined have came loose with what I used for gluing. As for the riveted lining ... the coiled lining you get from McM will not lay flat even after coiled backwards for 2 months then riveted in a clamping jig. It still rises between the rivets.

I'd still be doing brakes if I could have got old ones to re-do then sale outright instead of waiting for someone to need a set once in a blue moon ... I got hungry and sold the 2 sizes of lining and rivet tool and rivets.

Would you believe that my 127 and 129 need brakes !
happy.gif

Wyatt -- I bet it's so close to Bondo brand you couldn't tell the difference other than color. Both are polyester. I could show you some tricks with Bondo but I wont , to damn many secrets out there now and I'm the one going hungry while others aren't.

Wyatt -- one other thing , that's a finishing putty which Bondo isn't , it's a filler. What you have there is another type of what use to be called "spot putty" which looked like a thick primer. It was used over the Bondo to fill the pin holes and scratches from coarse paper.

I posted this question about a week ago with no response. I know its early, but does anyone know the date for the Illinois fall plowday? I have to work weekends and want to make sure I get this weekend off. I have read a few posts that talked in reference to a fall plowday, but no date mentioned. Thanks, Kirk

Digger, Thanks for the advice!!!!

(Message edited by klorenz on June 14, 2004)

Pat Keenan
I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with your PTO with the symptoms you describe. Are you sure that the noise is there no matter whether the PTO is engaged or not?

If the noise was only there when the PTO is engaged I would suspect one of the idler pulleys bearing was going bad.

If the noise was only there when the PTO was off I would suspect the PTO bearing bad or the Driven disc and the Driving hub out of alignment and rubbing.

You really need to find the problem before you do serious damage. Remove the belt and listen with both the PTO On and Off and see if you can tell where the squeal is coming from. Also check that the motor mounts haven't let go and dropped the engine on the frame.

If you can give us some more info we can probably steer you in the right direction.

(Message edited by RChristensen on June 14, 2004)

Kirk L --
I liked your first response better
happy.gif

It'll depend on the rain too.

Kirk L.

I you MUST figure a date into your schedule, use October 30th......Fall Plow Day will more than likely be held that weekend.

Still "Tenative" though.......MIGHT go one weekend before that on the 23rd.

KENtuckyKen, Jim C., thanks for the info that's why I asked. I'll start saving for a good paint gun. I'm sure I'll have more paint questions as I get closer to painting. :eek:)

Wyatt, I have 3 or 4 more Cubs and the AC620 that'll need paint, not to mention a bunch of implements.

On Saturday I got an early birthday present from my parents. Thus the recent interest in paint guns. I would have preferred a big 7hp vertical 60 or 80gal tank IR but beggers can't be choosers.
19582.jpg

19583.jpg

It's already come in handy to help speed up taking K4K apart.
19584.jpg

19585.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on June 15, 2004)

Jim C., or anyone, what brand/type paint do you use? I've looked at the Cub Cadet Paint and Decal page but I'd like some recommendations on brands. On the paint guns, is there a best size nozzle to look for to use with the "typical" paint used on a Cub Cadet? I see a bunch of different size nozzles listed for various paint guns but I have no idea what it all means.

Kraig -- maybe you need to start keeping some text too
happy.gif
You mean to tell me that after all the great paint debates you don't remember the most used paint ? ..... Yesterday I knew it , today I've forgot
happy.gif
happy.gif
... it's ... it's .... PPG !! Whew I had a brain cell kick in , what a rush !

KENtuckyKen, ummm, because at the time of the great paint debates I was sleeping in the back of class. Back then my idea of painting a Cub was to freshen up the flat black AGH (Anti Glare Hood) on my #2 125. :eek:)

Latest posts

Back