• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 10, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
Matthew,
The coil is mounted higher up on the flywheel shroud on a 129.The coil will hit the frame when you try to put the 122 motor in it.

just bought a new mower deck tension bracket from CCS. should the spacer that goes inside the spring be a good 1/4 or so shorter then the spring?
259374.jpg

have an other photo, showing the clearance of the pulley to the deck.... not a whole lot. First time I had the nut on the bottom and it wasn't giving enough clearance to let the bracket move. flipped it but its still sitting low.
259377.jpg

I'm used to getting 2 hours mowing on a tankful of gas. This K341 is giving me 3 hours! The first time I thought I was wrong. This time I'm sure!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mathew. I did a similar swap awhile back. I used the upper shroud bolt to hold the coil in place with one bolt, so far no problem.

Patrick. try using a heavy duty (thick)flat washer under the spacer to raise it up some

Frank your lucky my 169 drinks gas like "there is no tomorrow". hmmmm idiom

I know I haven't been out here for a long time but this does not make me a bad person...just a farmer.

I have a quick question...and I checked the vault first:

My beloved son, in whom I am well-pleased, just removed the driver's side head off my 782 KT17 in an effort to get at the starter. His job was to rebuild that starter and he got just a little gung-ho.

Anyway, can I re-use the head gasket and just put the thing back on or must I but a new one.

And, of course, the torque value is???

Mucho appreciated.

BTW...the inside of that 34 year old cylinder looks great. Somewhere over 1000 hours, I'm sure.

Since its slow on here, and every one likes picture here a couple from a few weekends ago.

me using the 106 to unload bark mulch from the trailer

259390.jpg

259391.jpg

the wife giving our granddaughter a ride on the 149

259392.jpg

Going to pull the valves on my K241 in my 100, do you guys have a "valve clamp" you use when you do this? Didn't know where to buy one small enough for an engine the size of a K241 - auto parts supply store? I am guessing they are different for ones used on a truck or car engine? Can you cobble/make one up out of a large C clamp or is that too difficult? It says in the service manual to use a power wire brush, does it have to be brass bristles or will the regular steel bristles work? Going to go with the idea a valve is cleaned up good when its nice and shinny and not tarnished or discoloured? Pretty sure a build up of gum on my valves is the cause of a lot of my fuel/starting/low idle/backfiring issues. Have a new head gasket & valve cover gasket to be installed when I reassemble. Any other "tips" before I dive into this job?

1a_scratchhead.gif

Mike P., thanks for the photos.

259399.jpg

259400.jpg

259401.jpg

259402.jpg

Craig, long time no post! Still have the Pug or the guitar?
bannana_guitar.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mike-

Amazon has a valve compressor made by Lisle (sp) that works great and they aren't that expensive. I think Frank was the one that told me about it a couple of years ago. It fits the K series just right. It does help to remove the 1/4" rod that juts out of the breather to hold the cap.

Jeff: Interesting. Andy's been working at WOT and I'm quite amazed. Are you judging against an hour meter??
happy.gif

Craig Ellis: Do yourself a favor and use a new head gasket. Torque it to 25-30fps a couple times and run it like it still had a warranty on it. My may be bad but I'm not uncomfortable with using 35fps as a final torque.
happy.gif

Gotta love that vault. What are the chances that my lack of power on my 147 is due to a weak coil as mentioned on Aug 12, 2007? Planning on swapping the 149 coil to check it out.

Mike:
259405.jpg

This is what's working for me. Got CARQUEST over there? There'll be a POP when the keepers get relieved and have a magnet handy.
happy.gif

Craig Ellis:
From the KT17 Service Manual (thanks to Charlie...)
Edit - Note the Foot and Inch pound mix in these specs.. (arrows were just to call out head bolts..)

259408.jpg

Brian: Lack of power? Did I miss an explanatory post?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Harry H, I did indeed do the Nice 605 bearing upgrade and I agree with you that was worthwhile.
Don T, I didn't put the gussets where you have them. I was very impressed with those spindle stampings, they must have required 200t to form!
Honestly I hope to get another chance to improve it and the place I would most like to strengthen is the cross member that the Ross steering box is bolted to. I have heli-coil inserts in the steering box so I can get the box tightly attached to the cross member, but the flex of that cross member is definately causing slop in the steering. I never really heard of anyone else having that problem.

Lack of power meaning it starts great. Seems to run good for about a minute or two. Then it starts to sputter and nearly kill.

Quick question - anyone use 10w-40 or straight 40w oil in their Cub Cadets? Local parts store is clearing some out.

Can't say i've ever seen straight 40w oil and I haven't used 10w-40 oil since I had my old IH Scout 800A with 196 cu-in 4 cylinder engine.

vroom.gif

Latest posts

Back