• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 26, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MATT - Having MOWED with G/D's, Mostly low HP G/D's, since 1963 until I got My first Hydro in about '90 I will admit that Yes, You can normally cover MORE ground with a Hydro. On My 2.3 acres with My 72 & 38" deck I can mow & trim in about 3-1/2 to 4 hours depending on fuel stops & "Refreshment Breaks
beerchug.gif
". With the 129 & 44" deck it Always took about 3 hrs to 3-1/4 hrs. With the 982 & 50" deck if I hurry I can mow Everything the tractor can mow (It's TOO Wide to trim a LOT of spots!) in about 2-3/4 to 3 hrs which adds time with the string trimmer or ROUND-UP. Not a lot of time difference really Considering the HP & deck width difference....and the 129 was the most fuel efficient, followed closely by the 72 then the 982 a distant third. Costs Me about $12 to $15 for gas to mow everything....
Remember Even on full size Hydro FARMALLS they were recommended more for lighter draft and PTO loads. I've had HOURS of conversations with Wyatt about drive trains, CVT's, power-shifts, T/A's, etc. etc. Each type & style of drivetrain has it's advantages but when You come right down to it, in the end there most often ISN'T a lot of difference in the results.
But to make a statement that implies that a G/D "Can't do Anything besides be a Puller" is giving people a totally wrong impression. For mowing, and snow blower or tiller duty a Hydro makes sense. For anything that engages the ground like plows, disc's, even blades, front mounted and especially a belly mounted blade like I made to move dirt & rock I'll take a gear drive anytime! They're so much more consistent in speed when going slow under varying loads.

Like I said in My last post....For Your First Cubbie it doesn't make ANY difference if You get a G/D or Hydro....but When You get your second one make Your choice so You have one of each. I used to have two Hydro's and one G/D...but I pruned the herd to I have two G/D's and a hydro. Now only ONE tractor "Marks it's Spot on the shop floor" The Hydro Drewl.
roflol.gif

Charlie, I might include all three of those "fine" looking blades.
roflol.gif
The deck came with a 105 that I picked up a year and a half ago.

63047.jpg

I just LOVE my 169 with the 50" mowing deck! Takes down 3rd year growth Russian Olive trees (1" plus woody stems)scatterred among three feet tall feild grasses. And with my customized mulching plug just chews everything up to an easily mulchable mess.

Kraig,

No offense in your remarks taken. In fact I realize it was my mistake claiming Tom H #1, I did not look at the years only the months in Member Since.

I knew a man who once said...
"No sense being dumb unless you show it sometimes!"

My wife's clever grandfather.

Marlin,

You did practically steal that 1650 but I love the fact that the PO really wanted it to go your way!

Tom H2,
beerchug.gif
One note on the profiles where it has the "Registered:" date, a while back the forum was revised and some had to re-register and our long running post tally, registration date and such got reset.
angry.gif

Hello
I'm new to garden tractors, bought my fist one this spring and now I have 4. I bought a 282 cub hydro this past weekend with a bagger. Its in pretty good shape for an 1980s machine. Where can I find more info on this machine? Am I correct in the assumtion that this is more of a mower than a tractor? ( its not built at all like my 67 112H deere). Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
Jim

James,
groupwave.gif
WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
Well, actually the 282 is a Lawn tractor not a Garden tractor. What would you like to know about it? .....Charlie is probably going to chew me out for posting these as they really belong in the IH Cadet lawn tractors area.....

63051.jpg

63052.jpg

Kraig- thanks for that info, I am amazed that you guys can figure out these tractors, restore them and keep them going AND find time to answer questions from newbies like me on the computer.
I was wrong, the motor is a K241, I hadn't looked at the manual in awhile, sorry.
I have enclosed pics of the motor mounting job, sure doesn't look like factory to me. I see where the drive shaft shroud goes. I actually may have that in a bucket of old hydro parts that came with the machine.
I will take a look at the pin in the drive shaft to hydro, you never know. I just don't think I can depend on this machine for all the mowing we have to do and we will probably get something (shudder) more modern. But hey, it will have a cupholder and motor with enough rated horsepower to drive on the highway!
thanks again. Toby
63056.jpg

63057.jpg

Toby, what was that notch cut for? Is there a part on the engine that is there? Here's what that area should look like.

63059.jpg

Kraig- the part of the engine casting that accommodates the dip stick is filling that notch that was crudely cut with a torch. Hence my thought that it is a different engine than what was on there originally. Still leaning towards 105?
Its raining so I haven't had a chance to pull the seat and all off to check that shear pin, but I will.
thanks toby

Tobias, don't cut these old cubs to short. I mowed my yard for many years with a 106, which is only a year or 2 newer than your 105. I would still be using it to mow grass except I bought a 1973 model 129 from a fellow forum member, fixed it up, rebuilt the engine, installed hydraulic lift, and have been using it ever since. I probably have more in it than it is worth but it is still about 1/6th or less of the cost of a new one to replace it. I still use the 106 for yard work and moving snow and has over 1300 hours on the rebuilt engine in it and still does not use any oil. I took the 129 to a plow day right after I rebuilt the engine. I doubt you will find too many units made today that I would want to go moldboard plow a field with, except the really expensive ones.

Latest posts

Back