• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvolpe

displayname
Michael Volpe
Hello,
I just installed some rebuilt spindles to my 48" deck and am having a problem with the top bolt/pulley coming loose. There is a star washer between the bolt and the pulley but it doesn't seem to help. Is there a torque spec for the bolt? What else are you guys doing to keep the bolt from loosening without over tightening?
Thanks for any help.

Michael, Webster, NY
1969 127

Just another brainstorming idea. What would all of you think about a business that restored old Cubs? I know a bunch of you guys do your own but what about the guys who want to but just dont have the time? I'm thinking about starting one and was kind of putting "feelers" out there to see if it is a do-able thing.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Scott S.-

I don't think you'll be able to make enough money to have it be worth your time. Remember the 100 I did last summer? I put 350 hours into that and made about $50 when I sold it, you do the math...

Scott, I used to own a body shop and by the time you restore these tractors right, You would be lucky to break even. I just did a 169 of my own and if I added up my parts and materials along with the purchase price of the tractor, and not even counted my time, I would probably have a hard time selling it at even that price. Unfortunetly, the only way you can have a business with these tractors is by parting them out. Especially if they have accessories.

Point well taken. I was just thinking of starting up something to do with Cubs only because I enjoy them and enjoy working on them so much. Im actually at the point where I am very tired of my job/cooking for the masses and severely need a change! Parting them out would be the way to go, with the occasional resto in the process. I know I have a ton of hours and money invested in that 104 I did and agree that I wouldnt get what I wanted out of it if I was to sell it.

Scott, That is not saying there is not people out there that would not pay to have one restored. I have restored many antique cars that the repair bill exceeded the value of the vehicle.Everybody has their reasons for spending the money, Either sentimental value to family vehicle or the first car they owned. You would have to give them a accurate estimate and stick to it. If they are willing to pay that then fine. But to buy tractors off craigslist or wearever and fix them up to sell for a profit, forget it..

Kevin, thats kind of what I was aiming for. You and I know that those folks are out there. I could also be persuaded to do cars and such too, but I thought I would start small.

Scott, you may find a few people who need this service, But the problem with fixing up stuff were the repairs exceed the value is that if they don't pay the bill when the job is done, It is hard to recover your losses by selling the tractor. But I hope you can make a go of it. It is very satisfying to see the end result of your work.

Over the last year and a half I've been involved with 3 restifications. There is no way to make money on any of those tractors. Mabey If you got your hands on a decent tractor for decent money a person could slap a paint job on one and make some cash but to find those tractors repeatedly to make money on and take a paycheck from, that would be tough.

On craigslist here someone redid a 107, looks like anice job. wants 1800. I don't believe they will get it.

Had another good cub day today. Found all this stuff on the Eastern Shore of VA.

194584.jpg

194585.jpg

194586.jpg

194587.jpg

194588.jpg

194589.jpg

194590.jpg

I've been working on my articulated project over the weekend and I pulled the 2nd hydro tranny off to flip the ring gear. Got it all tore apart and can't get the ring gear back in to flip it. I did the first tranny just fine, but I am running into a wall with this. Spent most of the afternoon trying to get it back in. Is there a special trick to this?

Michael M I am a wide frame guy but what a haul it looks like the complete line there

I haven't been able to touch the loader for a couple days...spent yesterday and today at two different auctions. Today's had 2 Cubs and a lot of IH tractors. I didn't bring any tractors home, big or small (although I tried), but I did get some Cub Cadet sales literature for the zig-zags and 82 series. I also got this really tiny little V-belt driven air compressor that will probably fit under the hood of a CC, although maybe not any of the 82 series tractors I have
pop.gif
Perhaps I can stick it on the mule drive I hacked up for the loader and then decided not to use.

Scott, there may be a way to make money on restorations and solve your need to work on something meaningful to you. The Army has several different levels of overhaul/restoration for military fighting vehicles. The range from full overhaul to the 10/20 programs. Basically a full overhaul is every part being disassembled, reworked/tested and reassembled and painted to new specs. Basically, a 10/20 vehicle is tested against the Army minimum operational standards manuals (10/20)to determine exactly what works and what doesn't. The vehicles are disassembled only to the point where all components identified on the checklist can be removed/repaired. During the process the major components are cleaned, repaired/rebuilt (where necessary), painted and reinstalled in the chassis. The whole vehicle is then cleaned again, painted (whole vehicle and components) to required standards and retested.

The 10/20 program only repairs/replaces what is wrong - thereby saving money and man hours of time on turning the vehicle around for Army units. These programs are used on main battle tanks, self propelled howitzers, and various support vehicles. This ensures a reliable vehicle at a minimum cost, since each Army unit has to pay for repairs to vehicles assigned to it.

If you approached Cub Cadets in this manner, you might be able to make a go of a restoration business. You could offer services from frame off restorations to test/repair and repaint. A 10/20 vehicle will look like a full restoration to the naked eye, and everything will function as it should. The only difference is not everything was taken apart and then put back together.

Thought I'd pass it along, for what it's worth. BTW, I work at Anniston Army Depot, the largest tank rebuild center in the free world. I was a mechanic for 17 years and then moved to production managment. I spent most of last year in Iraq working with Army personnel to move their heavy equipment/weapons back to the states as they redeployed back home or to other theaters of operation. The 10/20 programs work.

Good luck and Roll Tide!

John, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but if someone said it was a 10 20 car. Thats, to me, a car that looks good if it's 10 feet away and moveing at 20 miles an hour. Does the 10/20 really mean anything or is it a military thing?

Dave, 10/20 refers to the 10/20 operational manuals, which are a stringent list of performance/reliability checks. It is basically an inspect and repair standard, where every single component/assembly is tested and must meet operational standards over the full range performance the vehicle is designed for. If any component fails, it is repaired or replaced. After the inspect and repair, which can be quite extensive, the vehicle is cleaned and painted, and then exhaustively tested before it is accepted by the customer (Army, Marines, Nat'l Guard, Foreign Military Sales, etc). These vehicles are reliable (a good percentage of the ones in Iraq and Afghanistan are 10/20's) and a fraction of the cost of a full fledged overhaul. In short, if it ain't broke, you don't fix it! The customer gets a vehicle back that is fully operational and is newly painted and meets all performance criteria.

Hope that answers your questions?

Roll Tide!

Matt, I believe that is for using the 36", 42" and/or 48" square ended decks on a Wideframe Cub. Though it might work on a NF Cub. I believe the fork that slips over the rockshaft is longer on that style than a NF subframe.
dunno.gif

Latest posts

Back