Archive through July 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt the carb on my 149 a couple of years ago. The choke cable was stuck so I disconnected it, and simply reached down and moved the choke leave by hand.

I got tired of that and bought a replacement chock cable from one the supporting vendors - but now my choke works backwards - the choke is on when I in push the chock control, and off when I pull it out.

What have I done? Any ideas?

Anyone of a picture of the choke on a 149?

Many thanks.

Just wanted to say thanks to those that helped me with my battery box problem. I made one out of 16ga with two pieces of angle iron welded to it so I could bolt it on. I know it needs to be yellow, but I didn't have any around. This Cub Cadet isn't going to be a show tractor. Thanks again!
url]

url]

url]

James S.
Here's a partial shot for ya. I was to lazy to take the air cleaner off.
If you need a better shot, let me know.
194601.jpg

Can't find any manual that tells me how to remove a PTO from the engine. I want to pull it off a KT-17 & install it on an M18. Do I need a special puller? How complicated is this task?

Thanks,

Norm

Slight progress on the 682...

Spent the morning chasing down the countersunk bolt I needed for the pump mount and brace, and also material for the braces. I made a couple pieces for the brace mounts and tacked the whole front part together. Since the belt lines up I'll get brave and finish-weld that tomorrow. I've also got to figure out where I'm going to put the fluid reservoir and the filter I'm adding.

194603.jpg

194604.jpg

Hydro Harry, wherever you are, you can see the engine riser mounts on the cradle in one of the pictures...

RE: Original on steel at PD photo from Thursday...

That isn't the one that my brother's FIL built, his uses 1-1/2" channel iron for lugs on a 45 deg angle similar to an old steam engine. Scott U's uses angle iron lugs and i don't know about the one pictured with the "spade" style lugs.

Matt-
The loader is coming along nicely.

Are the engine 'risers' something you came up with to fit a Kohler "single" in that 82-series, or is that a Cub part? (I think I missed an earlier discussion somewhere along the line...)

Are you mounting a 'remote' fuel tank somewhere on that tractor? I see a fuel-pumper-thingie on that Kohler...
happy.gif

Art-

Those risers are from a 1282, 680, 1210, or 1211. They are out there but seem to bring $$$ on epay. I got these from a forum member. They are actually very simple and crude. Now that I can bend stuff in the hydraulic press, I might try to make a few sets at some point. Not sure when I'll have time to play with that, though.

The fuel pump is because the carb is above the bottom 1/4 or so of the 82 series fuel tank. I'm using one of the old metal-body pumps I had laying around...I hope it works. I took it apart, cleaned it, and flipped the check valves over, and it pumps up and holds 2 psi.

Matt G - thanks for pointing out the risers you're using on that Kohler K. If you're gonna make up a few sets (copies) it might be hard once the engine is already mounted and the loader completed. Seems to be coming along nicely tho.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (I'm always lurking)

Has anyone used the Cub Cadet spray paint # 758-3258,. I am looking to restore my 126 and I wasn't sure if this paint will hold up.
Thanks

Tony P.
If your going to restore your 126, you sure don't want to rattle can it! Just my 2 cents.
1a_scratchhead.gif

But asking how it will hold up is a relative question. It kinda depends on how well you prep what your painting. The better the prep, the better/longer any paint will last.
biggrin.gif

Anthony P.-

Rattle can paint sucks. There's no hardener or UV protection, so it will fade and become chalky quickly. If you want to restore it, get a $20 Harbor Freight HVLP gun and start practicing. Paint with hardener sprayed with a gun is shinier, harder, dries faster, and will last much longer than any rattle can paint. It would take dozens of those $15 CC rattle cans to put a decent amount of paint on, and two quarts of yellow, a quart of white, and two quarts of primer is probably about the same price or cheaper than all those rattle cans.

Charlie, Thanks for taking a picture of the choke, but it for some reason I'm not seeing it. Can you try and repost.

Thanks

ANTHONY P. - I repainted my CC 72 back in early spring of 1981 with rattle cans and it still doesn't look THAT BAD! They didn't cost $15/can back then, and I didn't have or could afford a compressor or even have room for a compressor big enough to run a spray gun. I was meticulous on prep, and washed & waxed it a couple times a year for the first 20 or so years and it's NEVER sat out a day in it's life unless it was working.

So durability is relative to how you take care of your tractor and your tractor's finish.

The new paint program going forward is epoxy primer on bare metal followed by base coat/clear coat with hardener in the CC. They won't look "Factory Original" or be "Restorations" even using factory colors, but they're working tractors and the extra durability of the paint should make this the last paint job I ever have to worry about and keep them looking good for many many years.

James:
There's something funky between the server that the forum is on and your PC (you are not alone in this problem). Try hitting reload on your browser a couple of times.. If that doesn't work, try clearing the browser cache. Charlie reposting the pic won't help

It looks like my K341 rebuild is coming earlier than I planned. Heard some rattling going on where it ain't supposed to rattle, pulled the head and the bottom half of the piston is AWOL. The wall is scarred but I think it can be honed but I will have to see what the shop says....

I am having a time finding prices on genuine Kolher parts and I would like an idea on how much I am going to have to fork out. I sure they do stock pistons and rods but I can't find a listing with any of the board sponcers. I have not heard many positive remarks regarding Sten parts has anyone out there used them?

Lucas J,

O's came with an oil bath air filter. That would be the best to use. Just dump the oil in the cup bowl periodically, clean and replace with fresh oil.

At least 3 of our sponsors carry what your looking for that I know of for sure.
In order of appearance.
1. Madson's
2. Houtz
3. Cub Cadet Classics

Latest posts

Back