Archive through July 25, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerning the safety start switch on a Cub Cadet 102 brake/clutch pedal. Is there anything wrong with bypass wiring it? Just wiring the two orange wires together??? Thanks, Bill
[email protected]

thanks charlie. the problem navigating the guys websites was because of my browser settings. duh on my part

Bill C.
I dint say it, BUT!
Cut'um, strip'um and nut'um!
clappy.gif

Lucas, the 8hp should use the Cub Cadet P/N: IH-385163-R2 which crosses to Kohler P/N: 230840-S. The forum sponsors, links above, should have them.

James S - I didn't notice anyone writing about it and I can't say for certain, but I believe your choke lever on the carb was in the wrong position when you connected the cable, and you also connected it to the incorrect hole in the choke lever. I believe you need to disconnect the cable, return the cable lever to the choke off position, make sure the choke lever on the carb is in the choke off position, and then connect the cable to the other hole in the choke lever.

Bill C - by-passing the brake safety switch does have some safety risks. You need to remember you can start the tractor in gear, and not sure about a 102, but you may be able to start it with the PTO engaged, or both. I don't recommend it, but if you're going to do it, I'd suggest rather than cutting off the connector, I'd disconnect it from the safety switch and install a jumper wire across the connector, then tape it on the frame cross member. That way, if you decide to make the repair you can do it quite easily. It's actually not a difficult or expensive repair to replace the switch. You could even get a used switch from a sponsor.

Lucas - back to your old tricks again. You gotta tell us the whole story. You asked the best filter to use on an "O", and all of us are thinking an O came with a 7hp K series with an oil bath air cleaner. I can't wait till ole KenTUCK gets back here so he can keep you on the straight and narrow. And by the way, asking best air filter is similar to brand of oil - as that ole timer said "some is better than none".

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (no matter if Lucas doesn't tell the whole story).

LUCAS - It may be easier to find an FRAM CA76 filter for your K181. It's the correct sized filter which is taller than the K161 filter. There's an AC-DELCO equivalent but I looked on-line for a half hour and couldn't find ANYTHING about one for a K181 Kohler.

Keep the pleated paper filter. The manufacturers don't even specify the percentage of dirt removed with the old oil bath air filters anymore. A pleated paper gets 99% of all the dust & dirt, most oil bath's are around 80% IF You can find someone who will admit that fact.

The oil bath air cleaners on my Farmalls will be replaced with pleated paper filters. You can actually DUMP handfulls of dry sand thru the oil wetted mesh in oil bath air filters once the oil settles out of them. Yes, the dust/dirt is "supposed to stick to the oil" but what happens when all the oil is sucked up into the mesh, or you're on a steep hillside and the oil runs to one side of the cup, or ????? Your ability to filter dirt out of engine combustion air decreases to almost nothing.

There's a reason why NO OEM manufacturer that I know of uses oil bath air cleaners anymore. Almost ALL of the ag industry that I'm aware of uses a two-stage dry filter, a filter inside a filter. Years ago tractor engines needed rebuilding every 2000-4000 hours. Now tractors with 10,000 hours are real common. That's all because of the air & oil filtration on today's equipment. The oil HAS improved, but if it wasn't filtered properly, the engine wouldn't last that long even with the best oils.

Hi guys
just back for today and we are off again. The old truck gave me 15.8 mpg this trip. I attempted to call Charlie and Frank C and answered some emails and some will have to wait lol.Had to do some reading to get caught up.Had a small problem this trip lost the exhaust on the diesel. wow is it ever loud towing with no muffler. But I ordered new 409 stainless,They call it stainless for what It did to my wallet lol (1100.00 plus 17 % tax)./ Hope all you guys are enjoying some Cub seat time. Off to mow the lawn.
old.gif

Harry/Bill-

Safety issues? Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that the operator should be able to use the stuff between their ears to not start a tractor in gear, instead of a safety switch. I learned to drive on a Farmall B, which basically doesn't have ANY safety devices. Out of habit, I check for neutral before starting, whether it's the Farmall, one of my cubs, or my car...

Whenever I get a tractor, all of those switches get eliminated so there's one less thing to have fail at an inconvenient time.

The most annoying one is that reverse lockout switch that got added in the 80s...

Matt-

I agree. I have an old ford 4000 that hasn't got nore ever had any safety switches. I am off of the tractor about half the time when I'm using it. It's my cub engine removal crane. Shaking the gear shift is simply part of the starting process. I will admit there are some people out there that absolutely need the extra edge.

Latest posts

Back