Archive through July 22, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydro Harry, Wes and Dennis,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I really hope this guy is willing to deal. I am waiting for him to contact me to arrange a time to see this unit. I also found out that it has front hydraulics on it.
drool.gif

Hey Gerry Ide.....you up for a road trip????
whistling.gif

Rob

Hydro Harry - thanks for the info, and Kraig - thanks for the pictues of the straps (brackets) on the 70/100 mule drive.

Kraig & others - do you have pics of the large IH lawn cart (#3 ??) that has the tires under the box?
I am curious what years they made them, and can't find any pictures in any of my literature. Are they very common?

Dennis, I did not make it to Plow Day 2. My first plow day was Plow Day 3.o in Indiana with my 129. I was having the most trouble in the mud the fall of 2004. I had noticed some problems at the spring plow day so I changed the oil and filter before going to Steve's. I replaced the hydro unit the summer of 2005 and have not had any hydro issues since.

Donald T. and Dennis F.

A friend of mine who is a puller and a machinist, bores out the standard Kohler rod, adds an insert and uses them for pulling. He was telling me just today, however, he'd about quit doing that because the inserts were becoming too expensive and too hard to find. He bored and added inserts to two Kohler rods for me a couple years ago. They were just the standard Kohler rods. I don't know if after market rods would work, but the Kohler rods seem to stand up fine.

Situation: The motor in my 782 (SN 6714899) blew up. The trouble is, it really isn't a true 782. A previous owner replaced both the motor and the deck with parts from other manufacturers. The deck is a 46" MTD, and the motor is a B&S twin flat head. I really like the Cub Cadet tractor, but I'm not sold on the B&S motor, and the MTD deck doesn't work well on the Cadet frame (it cuts great, though).
Question 1: Can I source a Kohler motor such as the one with which the 782 was originally equipped? How do I identify it?
Question 2: What decks would fit this tractor, and how would I identify them?
I would be grateful for any assistance on the issues raised above. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Marlin good instruction and also matts tip. I am saving them as I will attempt over the winter.

Jerermiah keep checking back someone who knows will answer you.

Jeremiah C.

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have an extra number in your serial number?

I believe that the 782 was originally manufactured with a Kohler K17, series I. The upgraded KT17 Series 2 uses a pressurized oiling system so that the motor oiling is much improved. I think that there have been some forum members that have put a Kohler 18 Magnum in this type of tractor also.

I know that a 50C deck will work on a 782 but I believe there are other forum members with much better information on which decks will work.

It may depend on how much the previous owner modified the tractor with the current changes. I hope this helps.

Rob

Thank you, Rob. I, too, was ready to welcome Jeremiah to the forum but as unfamiliar as I am to the RED tractors I had to go to Hank's THE FIRST 45 YEARS. He posted it the right area, but what a confuguliation he bought! Let's see if he makes a second post, here.
dunno.gif

Frank & Rob, thanks for the welcome.

Frank, you're right about my "confuguliation," it was pretty comical watching me try to get parts for the deck at the Cub Cadet dealer. And have you ever tried to wire a Briggs & Stratton motor to an ignition key designed for a Kohler? Not pretty.

Rob, I'll price a new Kohler KT17 Series 2 and compare to the KT18 Magnum. I'll bet they're both pricey. Maybe someone has an old one that can be rebuilt. Someone sold a whole 782 for $400 recently on the classifieds.

By-the-way, below I've posted a snapshot of the S/N from the 782. It was taken with my blackberry, so excuse the fuzziness.

194505.jpg

Guys,

After reading my own post and looking up my serial number (I had confused the "U" for a "6" in my hand-written notes), it looks like I have a unit built after the Louisville factory had been taken over by MTD, but not long after!

I can't say I'm not disappointed, I thought I had a real IH Cub Cadet. The folks at Lowes and Tractor Supply sure can't help me, and the guys at the (former) Cub Cadet dealer don't WANT to help me.

More confuguliation!

Good Morning, All. Thank You all for the compliments. Although I am not really an expert on the 15Us.

Dennis F. You are correct about the faster reverse discussion from a couple or four years ago . The internal casting is set at either 13* or 17* (I can't remember and neither can the engineers) so as to limit the reverse speed on the 15U. That would require some fancy machine work to increase the angle for a faster reverse.

Rick A. I apologize for about giving you a heart attack on the steel wheels there. One of my CRS moments also.

I am off to work in a little bit. We won't be getting our new furnace and air conditioner installed until next week. The past few days have been really hot and humid. I didn't feel like doing anything last night except just try and keep cool.

Everyone have a beautiful weekend and catch ya all later.
194514.gif

coffee.gif

I'll be darned. Jeremiah, you've done your homework well. According to Hank Will the last 782 from IH was #694248. Your #714899 came out of Brownsville, Tennessee in 1983. Wherever you post, here, I hope you keep us informed on your progress.
thumbsup_old.gif

Marlin's gonna be real lame from riding that bull all day!
smile.gif

PAUL - Thanks for adding that about reworking the stock Kohler rods. The inserts are a stcck Continental small industrial engine inserts. I seem to remember they're avail. in several undersizes, like -.010, -.020, -.030, -.040, & -.050" but I don't think I'd take the Kohler crank that small, since the rod throw is hollow.

WES - Not sure if it was PD #4, but I remember SON & I went to Bluniers one fall with both the 72 & 982. Didn't even finish the first round with the 72 when I sheared a roll pin, putzed around for an hour trying to replace it, finally gave up, loaded it on the trailer and SON & I played in the MUD with the 982.

I had my Ray Tech IR temp gun with me that day and kept shooting hydro temps on Wyatt & Bryan's 169's and the 982. With almost NO traction it was tough to get them much more than warm!

Jeremiah C: FYI: MTD did not take over the IH Louisville plant. The independent (but wholly owned by MTD) Cub Cadet Corporation (CCC) and later MTD Cub Cadet production was at their (then new in July 1981) plant in Brownsville, Tennessee. Production began there in the latter part of 1981 for the 1982 sales year. It was just this last year that MTD closed the Brownsville plant. Your Cub cadet was produced at the Brownsville, TN plant in 1983.

143 = Garden Tractor made in 1983
782 = Model Number
399 = MTD's dealer code for IH, meaning that it was Red and was shipped to an IH Cub Cadet Dealer.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Rob C:
Can't get away right now, thanks for the invite... Good hunting....
thumbsup_old.gif

Jerermiah I'm in the same boat. My 782 dropped the cam down onto the crank 2 years ago now. I can't see or am willing to pay 1500 up to 2000 for a engine for a lawn tractor. I haven't decided what to do with her yet either though. On the up side though I got the 105 up and running purty good now!!!!!!!!!! The carb needs done this winter though. I am pretty sure there is a 44 or 50 inch deck in the classifieds

Joe C.-

Why buy new? Used M18s can be had for $150-$500, or you can buy a parts tractor with an engine, use the engine, and sell the rest. I've gotten 3 or 4 engines very cheap this way.

Myron,

Thank you for the authoritative interpretation of the model number! The unit was sold new in Kinston, NC.

I'll keep you all posted on developments.

I haven't had a "look what followed me home" in a long time. Went to look at this non-running 125 just because it was close and the price was cheap. Turns out it had some options that made the trip worthwhile!

194520.jpg

194521.jpg

194522.jpg

Latest posts

Back