• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuntington

displayname
Charlie Huntington
Is the Cub Registry still around? Tried to go to the page that I had bookmarked but couldn't...

Just try and post www.ihcubcadet.com/forum across the street...
wink.gif

Bryan
I knew someone would say something!
20456.gif
hehe

(Message edited by jpierson on July 22, 2004)

Dave K.,
I just rebuilt the PTO clutch and put the little side springs in. The knock was there before I even put the PTO clutch on. All the engine mounting bolts are tight since I just reinstalled the engine last weekend. The piston looked good in the bore at the top and at least half way down. I was told it had a new short block put in a few years ago and it looks like it. I do believe the knock is the crankshaft moving back and forth. I bet it moves back and forth almost a 1/16" when I pull on it. I will probably mow the grass with it at least one time and see if the MMO will loosen up the rings. I will then decide if I want to tear it down and give it a ring job and fix the crank end play.

Would you believe that I had someone email me yesterday about my site and told me that I could get the remaining pics that I am missing over at ihregistry. I told them no thanks and that I did not associate with that site. The told them that they should also look here. The person then emailed me back and said that ihregistry is much better than this site. Talk about someone that is misinformed!!!!!!

Jonathan

Wes, I'd bet on camshaft end play. Steve B had the same thing in a 16hp.

Bryan - all my regular posting is done here at this site. I didn't even know they had a forum going "on the other side of the street" I do try to put my cubs on the ihregistry however.

On a different note - I hauled my model 70 up for the Owls Head Transporation Museum truck and tractor show tonight. also brought up the '29 model A jitterbug. Tommorrow I'll head up with the 58 Grumman pulling my 67 Airstream. 2 days and nights of fun! Last years action is on my website at 2003 Truck Show

Dave K,
How come you have a website listed in your profile that you have to have Authorization Required to see?

Wes,

Remove the cam cover and grab the cam gear...if it"clunks" back and forth that's what's causing the knock. Mount a dial indicator and measure the end play. The one in my 16hp was .019" and is sounded like it was gonna come apart right now!!!!! I forget the actual spec., but I know that .005" and .010" shims are available.

Good luck.

Thanks Steve & Travis, I had the cam cover off to adjust the compression release tab that was bent down a little but never thought about checking the end play there. How hard is it to put those shims in without pulling the crank? Next question is will I hurt it any to run it that way until I can get some time to tear it down this winter? I was hoping to take this unit to Steve's this fall and see how it pulled a plow. I already have the 10.50 Titans mounted to put on it, just have to add a little fluid in them.

Hi Wes!

Gee... I think the crank has to come out in order to pull and shim the cam... Am I right, guys?

Digger- the reason why it's that way, is because my system hasn't been assigned 'its own' IP... I've got a wireless router atop my radio tower that acts as a relay site. My ISP is actually a client of mine (I design and manufacture accessory boards for their routers that monitor system voltages, charge rates(solar applications), tamper detection, and provide out-of-band communcation and reboot features). They use my radio tower as a relay point, and have redirected 'some' ports for me to use (T1+ bandwidth!), however, Port 80 is not one of them, as their router uses it for management. I need to have them assign me a unique IP, so you can see my Apache box direct...

Patience grasshopper- Dave's web-server will be available sometime soon!

(Message edited by dkamp on July 23, 2004)

Ok so here is my first post. I got a 1962 original last mounth. and am having a tough time finding tires for the rear. Could some one please advise. thanks.

Wes, Dave,

The Crank can stay in but the rear bearing plate must be removed or at least moved back enough in order to move the Cam Pin enough to fit a shim in. Kenny

Ed, it's great to have you here. To get some new skins for your occ check with some of the links at the top of this page.

Kenny W. is 100% right. The cam can even stay in, you just let is "sit" in place with the pin part way out to insert shims.

Check endplay of the cam with a dial indicator like I described below before going to the trouble of tearing it back down.

I did my 16hp in one evening, not a horrible job, but not necessarily "fun" either.

So, last night I was poking fun at a friend about his John Deere and etc...

This morning he posts this image on his forum to get my goat...

(OK, I feel stupid right about now... can't get the image to post.)

(Message edited by rmunday on July 23, 2004)

Somebody POOF this please!

20462.jpg

That's my truck BTW!

Latest posts

Back