• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 20, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis- I have on my 71, washers or spacers between the steering spindle and inner side of the rim. The thin washer takes up the slack, and protects the inside wheel bearing. I would dare say these parts should be in principal concerning correct steering components. I have tried in vain to locate and find the part number to these washer/spacers as I prefer to have for the 72.

Frank- Chuck sent me 4 of those heim joints along with new steering spindles. My 72's job will be to look clean and crisp, so having any serious dirt in a joint not over greased will quickly be wiped away. Have not yet got to the point of install, but now will be looking for a nice boot, maybe? Don't worry about spending serious money on the 169, its not really that painful after you have all the parts you need!

As for my tractor, the front axel is in the weld shop. I wanted the shallow cuts filled in. The deck drive belt caused those. Then its off to the sandblaster.

Order's out. Got the free shipping. I just can't resist those high back seats! Went with the non-greaseable ends. 7 zerks is enough!
beerchug.gif

There's a 129 with a Johnson loader attached within 40 miles of me. My next door neighbor pointed it out and has an interest in it. Trouble is, the guy that has it (and it probably hasn't been used for years) has a reputatation of not parting with anything. Neighbor knows the guy personally. I'm thinking offer the guy and my neighbor a 3 way split - neighbor gives the guy money, I do the wrenching and supply what parts I can to get it running, and we all get to play with it.
1a_scratchhead.gif

David - might check out Firestone Turf Guides. Bout as close to original fronts as I can find. Just put a set on my Original and look good. Not cheap but not horrific like some.

Went to inspect the tractor that my friend wanted to sell to me and I couldn't find a serial number. The motor was a k341 but not originally from a Cub, is there any other way to verify what the frame went too? It's definitely a 1x9 series but not sure if there is a way to figure out any more than that with out a seriel number. I checked both locations for a tag but no dice and there was no maintenance minder either. I've got a few pics that I'll post later.

Brian B - geez, as far as I know there is no other way to completely confirm a 1x9 model if it doesn't have a frame serial no. tag. Jeff did point out awhile back that the insides of the dash support usually have some hand written numbers probably done when the tractor was being built. I seem to recall they were 2-3" tall so you should be able to see them if you can get a look inside the dash pedestal - but it will be hard unless you remove the hood support bracket and the gas tank. You might be able to look up from underneath. I think it was on the side where the starter solenoid is located but can't recall for certain. Hope this helps ID the unit.
I'd also be a little concerned about the engine. There weren't many other applications for the CC style engines with the special oil pans. There have been discussions about being able to use one of the other engine styles that Kohler made by cutting the ears off and changing the oil pan to the shallow dish style used on a CC. You might want to have a look and make sure the engine is mounted to the frame using the correct standard technique. Get us some pics when you can.

Frank C - "Free Shipping", you must have ordered another seat then besides your joints. Hey what's up with Jeff not posting any 169 POTDs on your thread?

Brian: While you're farting around talking about posting pics, I'll tell you a story:
I wanted a 169 (just to have one, I guess). I answered an ad in our local SSB and bought a Cub Cadet 16hp sight unseen. It was a Cub Cadet, alright. It was also repowered with a 16hp Tecumseh engine. You're doing the right thing by asking before buying!!
happy.gif

Harry: I've had a very pleasant Cub Cadet day. FYI the keychain isn't waterproof.
happy.gif

I'm new to the forum, but not to a cub. I have a 782 and want some info on the equipment that will fit mine. I noticed a partial listing of specs from Charlie Proctor covering them for a 71, 102, and a 122. Is there somewhere I can either access that kind of info or buy it along with a list of the equipment fitting a 782?

David, click on the cub cadet parts look up box at the top of this page and pic your model then look at attachments.

Hi all,
I'm joe and I am new to this forum. Could someone either tell me which snow thrower hooks up to a cub 127 or direct me to the forum topic that fits my query? I looked at the manuals but they don't tell you much.

Joe T.
I'd stick with a QA36, QA36A or a QA42, QA42A.
Parts are more available for those models, and they are easier to get on and off.
Just my 3 cents.

Hydro Harry,

Eloquently stated. My compliments. Regarding the tires on the now identified CC, I was contemplating putting a set on my soon to be restored 128/148 FrankenCub. However after reading your dissertation I'm having second thoughts. You think the tires would rub?

TG - hey, thanks for the come back. I spent alot of time (not) working on that response (but it was fun). I was really only guessing on the size but do think they might rub. This is one of those where you might have to "try it and see if you like it". Ya can't just whip out a tape measure to check dimensions because the actual tire dimensions are so far off from the marked dimensions, I really wonder how the tire companies got away with it. If you have some 18x8.5x8 you could measure to see and check those dimensions against your FrankenCub, but even then your dimensions will be off somewhat because I believe you're installing the tire on a smaller wheel and it will balloon the measurements. I have to admit I like the look of the tires but I suspect they make it harder to steer - but I could be wrong. Let us know how you make out if you do install them.

Ok, here is a few pics of the tractor that my buddy bought, for the loader.

I think thats the wrong tunnel cover for it too.
260964.jpg

260965.jpg

260966.jpg

FRANK C. - Seven zerks aren't many, seeings how the steering gearbox is only supposed to be greased every 100 hrs or yearly. My pickup has 10 that all get greased every oil change around 3000 miles or sooner, the old Farmall's have 9 or 10, but a couple only need grease every 100 hrs or yearly. Some old farm implements had 30-40 or more on them like corn pickers & combines, that all needed greasing every day or 6-8 hrs of operation, and some of them were 8-9 ft in the air with no way to get to them without a ladder.

JOHN L. - a 3/4" or 1" flat washer (determined by your frt spindle diameter) of varying thickness's available at your local hardware store can take the side-to-side play out of your frt wheel bearings. They should be shimmed "SNUG", so they have .003"-.005" side-to-side movement, but not tight, those tiny imported ball bearings really hate side loading. I doubt the flat washers do much to prevent dirt & water from getting into the bearings. The bearings are sealed anyhow. But depending on the type of seal, rubber or steel, determines how tight or loose the bearing runs and how much dirt/water gets let in. Sealed bearings really aren't sealed all that well. Sorry I don't have a part or stock number for the washers at your local hardware store, but a quick walk thru the hardware section will provide what you need.

MIKE F. - O-K... whatever You say. I'm sure Your 50+ yrs of experience with all types of farm, construction, industrial, & automotive equipment trumps mine.

I have a belt question.
I just bought a 149 that came with a 48 inch deck. I am trying to find out what is the correct PTO belt to use with this deck. The belt supplied with the tractor is too long. It is a 80" x 1/2".
The deck serial # is 483 U1113. The serial number of the 149 is 2050047U462473.
I also have a 109 with a 42" deck I took the belt off this to try with the 149 & 48" deck but was also too long.
I know the 48" deck was not an original deck with a 149. Does the 48" deck have a different pulley spacing than the 42" deck.
I am hoping someone will have a 149 and 48" deck combo and can tell me the correct belt length to get at the store.
Thanks!

Dennis F- That's fantastic! No problem on the part number, I have an outstanding hardware store north of me by the name of Hemly Tool Supply Inc. here in N.E Ohio. I can attest to the fact the washer / spacer is a great help with the 3/4" NF steering spindles. These parts look factory, for sure. 1.5" outside diameter, 3/8ths" wide, .050" thick .

On another subject, the NF 72 I have has 6 extra grease fittings that I have added. I plan to add one to the Cub Cadet 3 point lift, as I have seen Charlie do so here. So that makes 7 extra on top of how many grease points the 72 already has excluding any equipment attachments. I have not yet decided if I want grease fittings in the front rims, though I like the idea as the Originals had done so. That would bring the total to 9 extra.

Also, I believe I can find a new positive battery post rubber boot to use over my new hemi joints since I have grease fittings on mine. That is still a toss up as well. I'm glad I chose the ones I did, though.

Back out to the Cub Cadet shop. Preparing the 1/4" steel wheel spacers for a automotive primer sealer that Chuck also sent along. Should be a nice off set to the new Carlisle TP ag 6-12's.

Well, I've posted enough.

No Dennis, not 50 years. I'm just over 50 more or less so... All I was saying was there are 3 fittings in close proximity already, adding 2 more on the drag link shouldn't pose anymore of an issue. Just my opinion I know. We can't all have the same point of view right?!?!?!

Latest posts

Back