• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 20, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbratton

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Justin Bratton
Digger- on my Cub 147.
Marty- It’s not locked up. Each spindle takes plenty of grease, comes out of the bottom and top.
When leveling from front to back on the deck, I am a half inch off. The center deck blade is off by that much, and you can see it when looking at it.

Justin,

You will need to take it off and examine it. The housing or deck may be busted.

Justin - what Marty said.. Possible that the deck as cracked around that spindle from vibration - hopefully not rust. Not too bad to repair, but you need to make sure the spindle is resquared before welding the crack if that's the problem, as it's difficult to do after that.

Marty and Gerry,
Thanks for the advice and help. I will have to remove the deck from the tractor and take things apart.

Ok now for somebody smarter that me. On the throttle arm that hooks on the governor to the throttle shaft on carburetor on a kt17 or a mag 20, All mine except one has the rod with the plastic clip that snap back into rod once installed. But every carb I get new or used I have to drill out The hole for it on the throttle shaft on carburetor. I prefer the plastic clip it is easier. Not until I got the 782 that I have my snow thrower on have I saw just the type you have to twist carb around to latch. Don't get me wrong they both work and I cant be the only one that ran into this?

Jim,

Nope, they are different. As far as I know the plastic clip is the new style, and I agree....better.

Did you get your 20hp running better?

In the processes there of. That what made me wonder on that rod deal. Or whatever its called. Got a new carb from Charlie to put on it. Plugs are white with the new carb I first put on. But I got it at the spring Portland show. Now it was brand new but that all I can say for it. I took a $30 gamble and thinking I lost. Will know for sure once I get it running again.

Got the Original out of storage and cleaned up this weekend. Took it to the Root River tractor show today. Was fun but really muddy! My son took it through the tractor parade and got stuck in the mud about half way through.

326243.jpg

Sometimes I envy you do-it-yourselfers and other times not so much. Two weeks ago I noticed a horrible grinding sound coming from the front of my 100 while mowing. After taking it to my repair guy at the local shop (a former IH dealer)...old enough to know these inside out from working on them back in the day. A week or so later I called to ask about their progress. Apparently the engine had shifted forward because all four motor mount bolts had vibrated out. He thought the problem was likely caused by a bad release bearing on the clutch and a worn driveshaft...thus the excessive vibration. Repairing it required splitting the tractor and machining a new drive shaft (he said new ones from cub cadet cost over $100 and they could make one for $30)...the total bill was $312.03, almost all of it labor. They said it was all quite a job. Yesterday I went to pick it up and paid the bill. While loading it into my pickup he discovered the clutch was getting hung up on the plate for whatever reason. He tickered with it for about 15 minutes in the direct sun... the heat index was over 100 degrees here. Finally I offered to come back again once he had it fixed. He said he might have to pull the rear end out again. He felt bad about it and offered to deliver it to my place, none of it for any extra charge. OMG...I can't even imagine trying to fix this kind of thing myself...it makes the $312 seem cheap.

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has ever installed bushings in the front axle on a cub 70/100? To help take up some of the play in the axle pin and wheel spindles. Thanks! -Brad

Nice O Nick!
I see headlights, creeper, rear lift, pan cushion, and fenders with reflectors.
Is that shiny thing inside the wheel an adapter for dual wheels?

Steve S.,

It's not all that difficult to do, just takes a while.

Well I think I woke the 982 up a lot with a New carburetor from Charlie. It did have a new one on it that I got elsewhere but a very cheap knock off. ( forgive me for being broke and trying to do it cheap?) I am going to move the governor spring in one hole to be a little more sensitive. Mowed around 2 Acres on less than half a tank. Grass was wet and tall. Ground speed no less than half mostly 3/4 full hydro. I am starting to think I will make into a real mowing machine. Thanks guys, Jim

Marty. I’m guessing that might be a PTO adapter. Jack up the rear wheel and you have a variable speed PTO.
Mine doesn’t look that nice.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I spent a lot of hours mowing lawn with this Original when I was a kid, lots of good memories.
Marty- Dennis is right, it’s a wheel PTO adapter. This one came from my old neighbor who used it on his Cub Cadet to power a hay conveyor. This Original has rear PTO too. I was always going to find an engine PTO kit for it so it would have 3 PTO’s but haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Back